The Drummer short Flim

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Most of us on here have already seen this GREAT short film about a Drummer who stays true to his heart and Big Band dreams and plays his Radio kings.

Question: The song playing on the radio in his apt is "Beat's Boogie" written for the film. Anyone know if the full song is available anywhere? I'd love to get it

Retro

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. It's been a long time since I've watched that, and I found that there was a lot I didn't remember. One of the biggest opportunities that I foolishly didn't take advantage of was when Dave was in Minneapolis for about a month playing the out of town opening for Sweet Charity in 2005. I did get a chance to meet him through the local bass player that was doing the show, but had I been thinking I probably could have hung out a lot more. RIP, Dave.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, this has been posted here before, but it's always good to see. The hardcore life!
It's very well done.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info here....

Scroll down in the red credit box:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe now that Dave has a regular gig he can afford some cases and an actual ride cymbal.

Kidding aside, that's a great little film.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Maybe now that Dave has a regular gig he can afford some cases and an actual ride cymbal.

Kidding aside, that's a great little film.
Dave passed away I'm guessing 7-8 years ago.. A rare eye disease turned to cancer. Super sad, he was such a great guy.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, that is very very sad. I wish i could have met him and talked to him about this little film. I've reached out to Bill Block (if I have the right one) about getting an MP3 of "Beats Boogie".

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dave passed away I'm guessing 7-8 years ago.. A rare eye disease turned to cancer. Super sad, he was such a great guy.
That is indeed sad. I was making my quip about the fictional character "Dave" in the movie (taking his beloved Radio Kings out unprotected in the street and in the rain, and using a china for a main ride playing big band), and not the actual Dave.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it Mike B. Thats why I posted it, for those who missed it. I identify with this film so much, because for 40 years I have been playing 1960s instrumental music exclusively, while many other musicians ignore it. I relate to Dave's passion for Big Band Music. And I Love that "Beats Boogie"!!

Latest posts