The golden record

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I first heard there was a ‘golden record’ on voyager my first thought was, you think aliens have a record player????? ahahahahahah. These are scientists no less. Assuming the aliens have ears and eyes and feel or learn something from sound and images. that’s a lot of assumptions! But really what I think will happen is, blob and murff will toss the gold frisbee aside, lift the hood on voyager and “made in alabama” will be there somewhere and they’ll get it. But! maybe the aliens also math and like it like us and..everything math. assumptions. Still fun and amazing..

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Good stuff. Nice post.
-I am familiar so didn't watch the whole thing.
-Maybe it mentioned the debate that was had regarding the wisdom, or lack thereof, in doing this.
-The other side argued giving away our location and the resources we have would not be smart.
-Given the fact we may be infantile in our development compared to other possible life forms we may become a target.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to the record Voyager also carries pictographic instructions that show how to build a record player (no joke).

Reminds me of an old SNL bit: