The great Billy Higgins

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Here's a great Billy Higgins thing. With Cedar Walton, Curtis Fuller, Bob Berg, David Williams. The whole band is killing.

Billy was mainly known for his magical feel and touch when he was comping, but he actually played a lot of extended solos on live gigs. He solos at 28:45. His drums and cymbals sound beautiful. His bass pedal is going all the time. I see a Papa Jo influence.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Always had a smile in his face. He was the house drummer for Blue Note records in the 1960's. He played on scores of classic jazz records. There's a reason for that.

Billy's feel and musicality cannot be copied. You can't get in the practice room and cop it. It's wizardry.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that!
I still remember when I first heard Billy Higgins. It wasn't that long ago; maybe 5 years or so. I was on my way to work, listening to the University of Kentucky student-run station, WRFL. I was surprised I could pick up thet station where I was at the time (about 40 miles away from campus). The jock ( a student and an avowed jazz fan) was playing Ornette Coleman, "T & T". I had never heard Ornette Coleman before, and to my knowledge, Billy Higgins. The song had just started, and I thought, "Wow, this is cool." By the time it was over, I had pulled over, called the station, and gotten the name of the song and the album. I bought it the next day. Billy's drumming is some of the most original I've ever heard.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, I dig his approach so much. He had decent facility, but it was what he left out that meant so much, his sense of how much room to put between the notes.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, Ron - I've read about him for years, and heard him on some recordings - but it wasn't until recently that I found out what a great soloist he was too...

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the greats. One of the most fluid players in my opinion. I dig his work all the way up to to his more recent recording with John Scofield. (more of my musical preference, so a double bonus!)

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
He is awesome.....I love this solo:

Me, too. That's a great video.

I work with a jazz guitarist who always says Billy is his favorite drummer. He saw Billy at the Village Vanguard in New York years ago, and he said he was mesmerized by Billy's ride cymbal. Billy had a ride beat that was in some magical place between triplets and straight 8th's. How many drummers can do that? Something to think about.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that!
I still remember when I first heard Billy Higgins. It wasn't that long ago; maybe 5 years or so. I was on my way to work, listening to the University of Kentucky student-run station, WRFL. I was surprised I could pick up thet station where I was at the time (about 40 miles away from campus). The jock ( a student and an avowed jazz fan) was playing Ornette Coleman, "T & T". I had never heard Ornette Coleman before, and to my knowledge, Billy Higgins. The song had just started, and I thought, "Wow, this is cool." By the time it was over, I had pulled over, called the station, and gotten the name of the song and the album. I bought it the next day. Billy's drumming is some of the most original I've ever heard.
I saw Billy with Ornette at the 1973 Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Fest. Ornette, Charlie Haden, Don Cherry. They were playing some out sheeet, but it was swinging, and Billy was smiling all the way through it.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Billy with Ornette at the 1973 Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Fest. Ornette, Charlie Haden, Don Cherry. They were playing some out sheeet, but it was swinging, and Billy was smiling all the way through it.
Wow...a bit green with jealousy here; I bet you don't regret buying that ticket.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

wait it out. solo at 10:30; incredible thruout George Coleman
Seach (within) that fellas Youtube; an absolute goldmine;

Last edited:

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can never have too much Cedar and Billy in your life! Right now I have "Eastern Rebellion 2" and "Manhattan afternoon" (trio) in the car, just makes you feel good.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
(There's some incredible early George Benson and just an amazing collection of song on the youtubers sitewow)
search (top right corner) anything Elvin etc. Seems he lists personel for everything he uploaded;nice touch)
Search Alan Dawson and hear club dates from 1994

John Coltrane w/ Pete LaRoca on drums

Last edited:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
You can never have too much Cedar and Billy in your life! Right now I have "Eastern Rebellion 2" and "Manhattan afternoon" (trio) in the car, just makes you feel good.
I've been listening to Eastern Rebellion 1 in my car this past few days. Billy's snare drum sound is so unique. Crisp and clean, with pronounced attack. Maybe it's a wood Gretsch...? I wonder if he had some magical tuning thing like Ed Blackwell and Roy Haynes.

Kcmcc

Reaction score
I've been listening to Eastern Rebellion 1 in my car this past few days. Billy's snare drum sound is so unique. Crisp and clean, with pronounced attack. Maybe it's a wood Gretsch...? I wonder if he had some magical tuning thing like Ed Blackwell and Roy Haynes.
On some records in the 60s he managed to have a snare that was simultaneously articulate AND rattly (listen to The Sidewinder - it's probably my favorite snare sound ever)

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that!
T&T is agreat track but it’s Ed Blackwell on drums. Also a great drummer.

Latest posts