"The Great Bow-Tie Shortage of 1970" ??????????

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will give credit to this seller for creating an interesting description for the drum he has for sale. I agree that it is an Acrolite with imperial lugs. However, there is nothing on this drum that says 1970-1971 to me. A short list of important features - Serial number of 196XXXX (only about a million off), style of badge (with the circle R), style of P-85 (2 holes, long throw arm), no date stamp mentioned (about 67% of the Acrolites I have seen up through 1971 still have date stamps in them). Sorry if the seller is a member here, but this type of silly description annoys me.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
But the seller has taken apart “a few thousand” Ludwig’s!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that is the original finish. It may just be lighting and the crappy pictures but it looks way too dark and not metallic enough to be the first run of B/O badge acros. Even too dark for the second run. I don't think there is anything too special about acros with imperial lugs. I have a blacro with them. I think Ludwig just used them when they ran out and were waiting for a shipment of bow ties.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Just a good old Acro that may or may not have came with Imperials from the factory. Certainly not a early 70's based on serial number and on finish of the shell.

Mike

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a good old Acro that may or may not have came with Imperials from the factory. Certainly not a early 70's based on serial number and on finish of the shell.

Mike
What do you know? My buddy Earl is a expert on vintage drums and plumbing fixtures. He's says it'll be worth plenty in a hunderd years!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seller is Drumville which is a 5 star seller on Reverb. Could it possibly be that they didn't intentionally write the description as to mislead anyone? Personally instead of posting what someone else has for sale (regardless of the description), I'd probably contact the seller and bring it up to him directly if you are an interested buyer. I would only post a "buyer beware" public service thread if I've had a personal transaction issue with a bad seller that intentionally did me wrong. Nothing against your post! That's just me though.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The seller is Drumville which is a 5 star seller on Reverb. Could it possibly be that they didn't intentionally write the description as to mislead anyone? Personally instead of posting what someone else has for sale (regardless of the description), I'd probably contact the seller and bring it up to him directly if you are an interested buyer. I would only post a "buyer beware" public service thread if I've had a personal transaction issue with a bad seller that intentionally did me wrong. Nothing against your post! That's just me though.
I understand your perspective and might normally agree, but when someone who claims to have extensive expertise gets so much just plain wrong, I am willing to take the chance that it was intentional.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Listing has already been edited. He removed my favorite phrase which I put in the title of this thread.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listing has already been edited. He removed my favorite phrase which I put in the title of this thread.
Interesting that he did that! Again, could have been an honest mistake. He could even have someone else's snare on consignment and he might have used the actual owners description. and then realized that it wasn't a match. Listen, sellers usually don't get 5 stars and become reputable by intentionally misleading people.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting that he did that! Again, could have been an honest mistake. He could even have someone else's snare on consignment and he might have used the actual owners description. and then realized that it wasn't a match. Listen, sellers usually don't get 5 stars and become reputable by intentionally misleading people.
Just in case, I removed the "public service" portion of my original post. I stand by the rest.