The Great Cell Phone Debate

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone came up to me after a show I played recently. He didn't show me any video that he shot of my band because he was excited to show me video that he shot of another local band. OK......

He shows me the video (He said: "I did this!", pleased as punch with himself). Now, I've worked in TV for over 30 years, so I was hoping for an impressive display.

The sound was simply from the camera, overmodulated and distorted. Nothing more was going on than him taking a single camera and moving it between the 3 band members. It was just a live bar set, bad lighting and all.

My point? There's an entire new Dunning-Kruger delusional issue at play, and that is half the people with iPhones think they're Martin Scorsese.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

drums1225

Reaction score
I just don't understand the mindset of watching a whole show through your cellphone when the artists are physically RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Is it SO enjoyable to re-watch a concert on your phone, that you would forfeit the actual live experience of being in the moment? Also, YOU paid for a ticket. Why do you feel the need to give a freebie to your friends on Facebook?

I don't have a huge problem with people who record a few video clips, and use it for their own personal viewing, but I definitely have a problem with "live streamers" who have their phone trained on you all night long, streaming to Facebook Live. We had someone come up at the end of a recent performance and proudly proclaim, "I streamed the whole (90 minute) show!" Of course I couldn't say what I wanted to say, which was: "Congratulations, you just "shared" something is not yours to share, without our consent or blessing".

I asked our agent if we could enforce a policy of "no audio or video recording". She said we could ask, but that we would be putting the venue staff in the position of enforcing it. Ideally, we should have control over what gets publicly released, but it seems that ship has sailed, at least for now.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good grief, don't get me started. Today while practicing in the music building at work, I had to stop playing and tell someone to stop recording me through the band hall window. This crap's out of control. Social media has irrevocably tainted the human race.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand the mindset of watching a whole show through your cellphone when the artists are physically RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Is it SO enjoyable to re-watch a concert on your phone, that you would forfeit the actual live experience of being in the moment? Also, YOU paid for a ticket. Why do you feel the need to give a freebie to your friends on Facebook?

I don't have a huge problem with people who record a few video clips, and use it for their own personal viewing, but I definitely have a problem with "live streamers" who have their phone trained on you all night long, streaming to Facebook Live. We had someone come up at the end of a recent performance and proudly proclaim, "I streamed the whole (90 minute) show!" Of course I couldn't say what I wanted to say, which was: "Congratulations, you just "shared" something is not yours to share, without our consent or blessing".

I asked our agent if we could enforce a policy of "no audio or video recording". She said we could ask, but that we would be putting the venue staff in the position of enforcing it. Ideally, we should have control over what gets publicly released, but it seems that ship has sailed, at least for now.
During his performance of One More Minute Weird Al goes out into the audience and messes with people. He's climbing all over this one woman and her husband spent the entirety of that moment fumbling with his phone instead of being there. And he didn't even get the video.
I've started leaving my phone at home when running errands. I don't even take a phone or a camera backpcking anymore, and I've found myself being more present in that place at that moment.

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
During his performance of One More Minute Weird Al goes out into the audience and messes with people. He's climbing all over this one woman and her husband spent the entirety of that moment fumbling with his phone instead of being there. And he didn't even get the video.I don't even take a phone or camera backpcking anymore, and I've found myself being more there in hat place at that moment.
It’s funny that you say that. I did a fair bit of amateur photography for a few years. A couple of years ago I started leaving the gear home and it was liberating not looking for good shots.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Everytime someone shows me a video of their last concert it's a let down. 90% of the time it's a horrible video shot from someone who's had too much to drink. Take a few pictures of the stage, a few pictures of you and your concert mates having a good time, and enjoy!!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everytime someone shows me a video of their last concert it's a let down. 90% of the time it's a horrible video shot from someone who's had too much to drink. Take a few pictures of the stage, a few pictures of you and your concert mates having a good time, and enjoy!!
Yeah, remember when pictures were so that you'd remember the day and all the events surrounding that picture? You'd flip through an album, see the picture, and all those great memories started rushing back. And now it's just record the entire event, even though you won't actually watch it again.

Which reminds me. Physical photo albums were great.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Yeah, remember when pictures were so that you'd remember the day and all the events surrounding that picture? You'd flip through an album, see the picture, and all those great memories started rushing back. And now it's just record the entire event, even though you won't actually watch it again.

Which reminds me. Physical photo albums were great.
Yes! Me and my wife still get pictures printed at walmart and make albums of the kids. There's nothing like it. I will say a phone makes it more convenient, rather than getting film developed to find out you took 5 pictures of your feet by accident

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
What’s the debate? Seems like there’s 100% agreement that this Forum resents the presence of these new-fangled walkie talkies in practically every setting.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. American musicians playing for American audiences in Mexico. We need to address the reasons it became such a drag to do it here.
Lousy pay, lousy respect, and lousy audiences. I know of at least 10 guys that make a grand a night per musician. Unheard of here in the states. Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday after Catholic services. That's three-grand. 52 weeks, that's 156 grand a year. Tax-free. Cash paid out the door! Mind you, it's a very-closed niche most musicians couldn't hack here in the States. You could be playing Zeppelin at one venue and then playing Perry Como or Bing Crosby the next night with another band. Also these parties and concerts are sometimes put together and attended by the very, very wealthy folks with open ties to the Cartels and Narcos that have nothing better than waste a ton of dough on private parties. I've done a number of Christmas parties as a replacement drummer. Three-grand a night. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, that's nine grand out the door. No taxes. Back in the 70s I played with a 29-member Big Band for sometimes 250 to 500 a night down in Mexico. Back then the only Cartel was the Mexican government. I did over a decade with the Cloud Nine Orchestra. That band still exists, but in Mexico City. They play for only the wealthiest people in Mexico and over half the band are American musicians. Those guys and girls earn over a grand a night. Out here, the closest real music market is three hours away in Phoenix. Phoenix is just another Lost Angeles. You're just another musician. Wealthy Americans like the liberal (and I mean LIBERAL) party environment Mexico has to offer and are willing to pay for it. No regs on pot or booze for those under 21. Liberal American Families wanna party with their kids and are more than willing to pay for it. Some venues have their own private runways that'll take a friggin Gulfstream. I was at one party that took in a C-130! The Gobenador of Sonora and his family, and two of his private band was in it. Yup, folks here, unlike stingy Americans have their own private bands! Chapo had eight private bands! Great frigging bands! Mariachi to Punk bands. Americans make up at least half of the members of private bands and the vast majority of their audiences are American. There's a HUGE obstacle, if they don't KNOW you, you'll never play there. Like I said before, a very closed niche, that's growing. If there's one guy that knows the party scene and the money to be had down in Mexico, it's the Red Rocker, Sam Hager. Mexico has quite a number of American musicians who live and play there. I used to be one of them as a teenager. I was making 300 bucks a night, 3 nights a week, solid for 52 weeks. Did that for over a decade when my dad was making 250 bucks a week as a bricklayer back in 1972. Yet in his eyes I was still a bum.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my iPhone and I record videos at shows. I'm not ashamed.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my iPhone and I record videos at shows. I'm not ashamed.
Don't let me catch you obstructing my experience at the venue. I'll snatch that bitch and smash it into your skull until you die! What's left of that phone you'll receive as a suppository! :evil4:

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
A short conversation when the aliens finally get to the third stone from the sun….

Grey #1 looks out over the landscape and says to Grey #2 “That’s the biggest pile of crap I’ve ever seen”

Grey #2 reviewing the digital footprints left behind responds “I’ve seen bigger. Looking at it right now.”

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What’s the debate? Seems like there’s 100% agreement that this Forum resents the presence of these new-fangled walkie talkies in practically every setting.
Your snark is actually accurate in my case. I have a short checklist of important life goals, in no particular order.
When I pass from this Earth, I hope to have never:
-Killed a person
-Payed for cable
-Owned a smartphone

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Your snark is actually accurate in my case. I have a short checklist of important life goals, in no particular order.
When I pass from this Earth, I hope to have never:
-Killed a person
-Payed for cable
-Owned a smartphone
I'm 2 for 3, but repented of the other and put an aerial on our roof two years ago.

(If anyone ever saw me raise my phone up at a concert, it would only be because I suddenly needed to calculate a tip, or inexplicably needed to know what time it was in Bangkok. But then I'd quickly fold it back up again before I became a distraction.)

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeez, the moderators must have forgotten to check the 60+ age limit when I registered to this grumpy old men forum. I think you are bugged because you tried to bring your phone AND your camera to a concert, but the cable was too short and the camera too big...

1632858515658.png
1632858439189.png

;-)

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Good grief, don't get me started. Today while practicing in the music building at work, I had to stop playing and tell someone to stop recording me through the band hall window. This crap's out of control. Social media has irrevocably tainted the human race.
It's certainly not helping to make us more aware of our surroundings and intelligent.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Phones at concerts are lame live in the moment. Love for the experience. Not for the share, likes and views.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, the moderators must have forgotten to check the 60+ age limit when I registered to this grumpy old men forum. I think you are bugged because you tried to bring your phone AND your camera to a concert, but the cable was too short and the camera too big...

View attachment 519805 View attachment 519804

;-)
Nah, it was the Metamucil overdose!!