header.nohb.html

The Great Jazz Drummers--Anyone have this book?

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is new or not, but I just stumbled on it. Wondering if it's worth purchasing??

Is it just a few paragraphs on each drummer with a photo? Or is it lengthier that that. Any interviews or just written biographies? Will it be something I go through one time and then it will sit on my shelf (with lots of other drumming books) until I manage to sell it to someone else here? :) Or maybe I should just buy the Digital version....which I really don't care for, but it is more cost effective.

Any thoughts guys.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/store...kd17K_Nwo5s7stcEJoifClqhPCuKWlFVRx88sdXQOaWG4

sdsdb_original.jpg

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a copy

You get 2 pages on each drummer. A B/W photo page and a brief text page. It's more like an 'honor roll' collection than anything detailed about the players.

Here's a sample page and the
IMG_5805.JPG
IMG_5804.jpg
ToC listing

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I liked it as a teenager getting into jazz. It came with an audio supplement. A bit like a little pre-internet drummerworld page.

I got some of the drummers to sign their pages. Fond memories of Paul Motian showing the book to Frisell and Lovano backstage.

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i always wanted that book cause i loved the photo of the kit on the cover. ran across it years later at the local library. i guess there's not much value to it in the days of wikipedia/youtube/etc, outside of being able to have it on the bookshelf.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys...I think that gives me what I need. Guesss I'll hold off or at the most....maybe buy the digital version. I'm pretty familiar with most these players given that I'm a "Senior" myself. I appreciate it, thx!

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can recommend the Gottlieb book instead. Tons of transcriptions and information on the drummers. Here's a sample: https://hudsonmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/Evolution-of-Jazz-Sample.pdf
Agree with this. Gottliebs book is more musically informative with recommended listening and development exercises for each drummers’ style. Other great resources are Burt Korall’s books called “Drummin’ Men”. There are two volumes one on swing drummers and the other Bebop. They have extensive biographies on each drummer.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your reccomentdations.

Multijd, I have both of the Korral books you mentioned. He's a good researcher and writer for sure.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Let me recommend "Drummin' Men - the Heartbeat of Jazz," by Burt Korall. I especially like the first volume, "The Swing Era," because Rich and Krupa are chronicled. Not many pictures, but great stories about the important drummers of that era, and numerous comments from their non-drumming contemporaries.