The Greatest Drummer You've Never Heard Of - Mark Miller

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
When Talas was in their prime, they would play around town quite a bit but my parents would never let me go to the shows with my older brother. I used to listen to "Live Speed on Ice" all the time and study the photos of Mark's drums on the sleeve of the record. Fast forward a couple of years,I'm lucky enough to take lessons from Mark for a short time. He was such an inspiration to me, helped my playing and became a friend through the years even after the lessons stopped [and he stopped playing drums - for 15 years!].

Luckily in 2017 Billy reunited the band, including Mark for a one-off show. This year they did a run of 6 shows in the NY area. I was lucky to see two of them. This guys a monster. Portnoy has commented the Mark was an early influence on him.

Bonus, his roto-tom setup sounded killer in concert!

IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0711.JPG

Last edited:

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Growing up in Buffalo, I was 16 when Talas released Live Speed on Ice, and Mark was a huge influence on my playing. His Tama kit with double kicks and extra rotos was just amazing. I was lucky enough to see him perform with Talas once, and what a crazy show - like seeing Van Halen in a small club. Glad to see they did a string of reunion shows.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Growing up in Buffalo, I was 16 when Talas released Live Speed on Ice, and Mark was a huge influence on my playing. His Tama kit with double kicks and extra rotos was just amazing. I was lucky enough to see him perform with Talas once, and what a crazy show - like seeing Van Halen in a small club. Glad to see they did a string of reunion shows.
He actually had a sweet Ludwig walnut cortex kit back in the day. Sold them all after Talas broke up and quit playing drums from 85-86 until 2000. Three toms across and five roto's above those. So insane. His rolls are simply killer.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I completely missed that lineup of Talas. When I was 18 and that was the drinking age, we'd go to Stage One and watch Talas with Paul Varga on drums and vocals. Along with Dave Constantino, that was the lineup I remember - the one that recorded their first studio album. After that I kind of lost track of the band. I'll have to check out Mark's YouTube page.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
I completely missed that lineup of Talas. When I was 18 and that was the drinking age, we'd go to Stage One and watch Talas with Paul Varga on drums and vocals. Along with Dave Constantino, that was the lineup I remember - the one that recorded their first studio album. After that I kind of lost track of the band. I'll have to check out Mark's YouTube page.
Yeah, there's definitely two camps when it comes to the group. Those that only saw and loved the original line-up and those that loved the second lineup. I was too young to ever see either lineup but my brother went all the time to see the second so I got to hear his praises for them and then I took lessons from Mark.

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
Mark's a great drummer, but I am a huge fan of Paul Varga. I used to go to Stage One every week to watch Talas and do a few shots with Billy Sheehan, their bass player. Paul was a big influence on my drumming. He is also an incredible singer and sang lead on several songs on the first album.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark's a great drummer, but I am a huge fan of Paul Varga. I used to go to Stage One every week to watch Talas and do a few shots with Billy Sheehan, their bass player. Paul was a big influence on my drumming. He is also an incredible singer and sang lead on several songs on the first album.
Big fan of both Paul and Mark (and both versions of Talas). They’re really two very different bands, each with it’s fine points.

Mouse

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I worked at Harvey and Corky Stage One late 70's into 1980. I saw Talas many times and the line up of Dave, Paul and Billy is the best imo. Paul's first drum set was KENT, sorry but had to throw that in......Mouse:)