header.nohb.html

The Guitar

johnbe

Reaction score
In my early days I tried to learn guitar. Actually I wanted to play the songs of the day on the guitar. Big difference. But, I played and played and played and developed quite a repertoire. However, I always kept coming back to my drums. I played guitar on the side, but I was a drummer and that's what I always came back to. Recently, I bought a Martin D41 and was going to, once again, learn to play it. I discovered that I have a tough time with barr chords, so this beautiful instrument lives in a case while I devote most my music time to the life-long instrument that I got hooked on in 1964, my drums.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Have you thought about getting a ‘setup’ done on it?

And maybe get the tech to do the setup with lighter gauge strings.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about getting a ‘setup’ done on it?

And maybe get the tech to do the setup with lighter gauge strings.
I need to have this done to my guitar. I have no idea how to set it up properly, so I would rather have an expert do it.

Stephen.DeBoard

Reaction score
I love playing guitar and bass. I've learned to setup my own from a luthier friend of mine. It's a great skill to have. I know what to look for now and can judge the potential of a guitar even if it's not in the best playable condition. It's a balancing act to get the action low, the neck angle right and the intonation correct. Once you figure it out it's like the clouds part and all is right with the world again.

Sequimite

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Setting up electrics is easy. With acoustics it's a pain, takes a long time even though the concept is simple. Afraid of trimming too much off the bridge, it takes me a dozen cycles of taking the strings off and on. Cutting a new nut or dressing the frets isn't bad, but you have to buy the proper tools.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I need to have this done to my guitar. I have no idea how to set it up properly, so I would rather have an expert do it.

Yes, getting an expert to do it would be beneficial, particularly since you only have one guitar to do. The expert would likely be able advise the best string gauge, particularly to ease the effort required to play barré chords.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely encourage you to get a setup @johnbe -- although I will say for the record that Martin dreadnoughts are not always the easiest to play. I know the D41 is a bucket list guitar for people and they are pretty, but it's not what I would recommend learning on. Maybe a Taylor 114 or 214? I also have a Gibson L-00 that is the easiest acoustic to play ever.