The Hunt Sales Story - Part I

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Truly cool. He's the real-deal rocker. Has lived his life for drumming and gigs that are important to him.
Tin Machine to me was always an all-hands-on-deck rock and roll shout, vs. the insipid arena rock that was underway elsewhere.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, David!
Although he's kind of a mess personally (in a pigpen sort of way grinding out butts into a coffee mug, lol,) you can see evidence of his early tutelage under Freddie Gruber in this clip.
A little rusty perhaps, but at least he's off the dope now and still playing.

THIS is some pretty cool footage, too........ Hunt jamming in a warehouse with some random singer.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Regarding the Hunt practice video, he might stumble a little on the crossover parts, but overall he's got nice hands (as we drummers say)!

In the Tin Machine video, we see that Hunt's a great rock singer, almost as good as that other guy! That's his brother Tony on bass, savage rockers all. Clearly Hunt is one of those rock guys very much influenced by big band drummers. They played with Todd Rundgren when they were teenagers. Their dad is noted goofy comedian Soupy Sales, who had a very popular TV show here in Detroit.

Nice to see Hunt keepin' on keepin' on.

exliontamer

Reaction score
The man is a legend for "Lust For Life" alone. Any beat that can have that much swagger and power coming out of your phone speakers involved the hands and mind of a golden Greek god. I'd put the entire Lust For Life record as one of the finest statements of inspired drumming, great writing(Iggy was on FIRE lyrically) and gutsy sonics. For me, it's up there with Jerry Allison w/ Buddy Holly, Mitch on Axis, Gadson on Still Bill, Thomas on This Years Model, Moon on Live At Leeds, Jackson on a multitude of Stax songs, RINGOOOOOOOO!, Williams with the quintet, Colaiuta on Ten Summoners Tales, Katche on So, Davis on Station To Station.
I'll shut up. Hunt rules.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
The man is a legend for "Lust For Life" alone. Any beat that can have that much swagger and power coming out of your phone speakers involved the hands and mind of a golden Greek god. I'd put the entire Lust For Life record as one of the finest statements of inspired drumming, great writing(Iggy was on FIRE lyrically) and gutsy sonics. For me, it's up there with Jerry Allison w/ Buddy Holly, Mitch on Axis, Gadson on Still Bill, Thomas on This Years Model, Moon on Live At Leeds, Jackson on a multitude of Stax songs, RINGOOOOOOOO!, Williams with the quintet, Colaiuta on Ten Summoners Tales, Katche on So, Davis on Station To Station.
Apt comparisons!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Bowie “co-wrote” Lust for Life’s lyrics.