The "Ideal" Crash Cymbal Size?

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of clips lately with really great-sounding cymbals, and I'm noticing something particular: a lot of the drummers I like are using what appear to be 15" or 16" primary crash cymbals. I've always thought you needed 18" crash cymbals.... now I'm seriously wondering if that's true.

What's the go-to crash cymbal size, do you think? How about for recording? Live playing in small-to-medium venues?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I keep flipping between my tight config 16, 17, and 18 to my R&R set up with 18 and 19. That's going from left to right of course. Anything smaller than 16 is too small for me. If I need to choose a. Go to size, it would be my 17 fast crash K.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Want to hear something funny? I've never owned a crash bigger than 17".....seriously. For the small to medium size clubs I play the 14"-17" size just seems to do the trick (although the 14" size always seemed a little small to me as a primary crash). I currently use a 16" A Custom and a 17" K Dark Med-Thin.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have used a lot of 14, 15, and 16" crash cymbals over the years although lately I've been leaning towards using bigger ones, especially 20".
I liked the fast response of the smaller ones when I was using a bunch of cymbals, and the sound palette they gave me but when I whittle my setup down to just a couple of crashes then I almost always used a 16 or 17 and an 18. Now I'm going with a 19 and a 20 as my two.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to use a 16" Zildjian A Medium Thin as my primary. Right now, I'm using a 18" Paiste Twenty crash. I think it's too big for my tastes, so I'm looking for a 16" Medium Thin again. It just seemed to fit the profile I like.

nanashi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ideal has not to do with size , but a combination of what works for the music you are playing, the response you are looking for, and the sound you are trying to get. I generally play jazz and my basic set up is a 20" ride with an 18" crash/ride and depending on the gig will add a 14" crash for accents because of the fast response. For big band I would use 18" and 20" crashes.

chetatkinsdiet

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in a strange place the past few years. I use three rides. Very thin, Bosphorus cymbals and just crash them. I've got (L to R) a 19" and two 20".

m

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am using three crashes at the moment. 18" A Custom, 18" Med.A & a 15"A custom. The two 18"are far enough apart in sound & pitch that I like the combo of them. The 15" A Custom is a fast breaking glass kind of cymbal I love. It's not a "fastcrash" but has more body that the fast crashes I have tryed.
& had a 19" Dark K that I really liked but I felt in never really fit what I was doing so I traded it off. I also tryed a 20" A Custom crash that just didn't do what I needed. To me cymbals are the one thing you can buy to make a nice kit sound great. :idea1:

Dave Huffman :occasion5:

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I prefer 16's and 17's they get in and they get out.
I use a 16" HH sabian and a 17" K dark crash for blues,swing,R&B.
16"'ers for R&R,C&W

If i get an 18 in a trade as i have many times,i sell it w/ no regrets.
I also like 16" Crash/Rides,i've got two and would buy more,they seem hard to find.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
ive been using a paper thin 18 for years. currently using a thin 20 that i am loving.

mike

wcbrown

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
for the last several years i've been using a 15" A.Zildjian & CIE (the newer "vintage" series) i absolutely LOVE this thing. i swear its gotten better as time goes on, a Bosphorus 17" traditional and a Bosphorus 12" splash (but realistically, it's a small crash) i haven't used anything over a 17" i bet in 20 years, i have a couple really nice 70's hollow logo Zildjians 17 & 19 just sitting in my "vault". i was never much on BIG crash cymbal effects. i also have several different 14's i add from time to time if i want a lot of "bronze" around :cool: another Zildjian CIE, an A Custom fast crash, and a K Dark.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I own two crashes. Both 16's.

Bigger crashes are for people with clangy rides. :p

-Ryan

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey, whoever moved this thread over from General..... uh, thanks :-D

I feel like I've never given the 16" cymbals a chance... might be time to change that thinking(?)

ScottGunshore

idrum = udig?
Reaction score
Different strokes... I prefer big and thin like cearleywine. I'm going to try 19 (Paiste DE) and 20 (Paiste Trad) or maybe 2x 20 once I get a Paiste Masters Crash/Ride.

I have a hard time finding women in this configuration...

ATLdrummer

Reaction score
I always liked 18" as my primary crash. There is one crash I'm in love with that's smaller and that an HHX Evolution 16" crash...sounds amazing. I want to get my hands on it

Uptheirons5150

Reaction score
If I was doing a small-set rock gig, I would want 14" hats, 17" crash, 21" ride.

I think the 17" size is perfect. The perfect medium of body and tone.

Then again, 17" is my smallest cymbal. Currently have 17" and 19" A Thin and an 18" K Dark Thin.