The Importance of Seemingly Impossible Goals

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Before I start, I’ve come to appreciate the importance of matching drum cases, BUT FIRST:

Long ago, in a central valley town far, far away, I set a personal goal that if I ever played a show with no mistakes I’d buy myself a Black Beauty.
I must define my version of “mistakes”, which for many of you in comparison might seem like a low bar indeed…things like dropping a stick, swinging for a bell and crashing the cymbal instead, forgetting a part, flubbing a fill or transition, catching a rim, or rushing a tempo to the point even the bartender looks up from mid-martini pour with a “What-the-Hell!?” look on his face. And at this point in my playing arc, I include the smaller more finesse-oriented mistakes such as imbalance of dynamics within a groove, uneven ghost notes, etc. Yes, to be relaxed and articulate enough to play for the microphones and not bash for the back of the room, but still keep intensity and power. And, most importantly, the overriding requirement to play for the spirit of the song, the integrity of the band, and the pleasure of the audience.

And when I say “long ago…I set a personal goal,” I do mean when I was 20, and I’m in my 50’s now.

And so it happened, a show with-- from what I can recall-- all the above requirements met. I probably underplayed. Oh, I played it safe, certainly I did not stand out and didn’t impress anyone in particular, but all the same didn’t scrape any guardrail and got the car safely garaged. In turn, the band had one of our best performances.

Thus with this seemingly impossible goal accomplished, I finally bought a Black Beauty, second hand, but with the heft and to my eyes the shine of a newly minted trophy. There were two in the running, both 6.5, one hammered and one smooth. Of course when looking for new gear some other financial problem always arises, in this case car trouble. The hammered was beautiful, but quite a bit more expensive, so ultimately the smooth, with those iconic lugs, a great deal, won out. The prior owner wasn’t a drummer so it was used by different people in studio and elsewhere. The condition is more a player’s piece, which is fine by me. I’ll be more apt to comfortably play it out this way. Plus it has the now discontinued P85AC throw off, so it’s an instant, rare collector’s item… Ha!

And now let me discuss matching drum cases. This BB happened to come with a used Ahead Armor case that is exactly like my other cases. When I brought it in the house my wife, I think, assumed it was a drum I already had. I realize now that the fact I immediately attached the same bright luggage tag I have on all my other drum cases probably triggered the confusion. I should say that my wife is an absolute goddess and the light of my life, and I don’t keep secrets, so I’ll tell her it’s a new-to-me drum, after I sell off some gear to offset the price.

In closing, I can’t stress enough the importance of setting seemingly impossible goals for oneself, even if they take decades to achieve, as well as make sure you get some matching cases for all your drums, and neon luggage tags that stand out from across the dance floor.
B749DF38-A064-45F4-8618-443D20551062.jpeg
he

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I like the feeling of walking away from a gig thinking I had a good night. A flawless night is pretty rare. Enjoy the snare!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had a few nights where things went well in my own mind but perhaps the best night was when a customer said "I found myself watching you but you weren't doing do anything special". It was a while before I understood that to mean he "felt" me lifting the band rather than saw any flashy stuff...... BTW, nice snare.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats and well said! We should always challenge ourselves. I have a gig coming up next month and appreciate the inspiration!

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Congrats, and nice to get the matching case too.
While I never set it as a goal, I did feel I'd played about 30 years before I achieved a gig with 'no mistakes'.

Latest posts