The Joy of Playing Drums...

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Over the past year, I have been able to do a lot of deep listening to so much music. I have bought tons of CDs (yes, I still buy CDs when I can find them) and downloaded so many iTunes albums that I haven't yet gotten around to listening to some of it. This has led to a lot of inspired drumming for me. I have no gigs at the moment, and my summer community theater gigs have already been canceled, believe it or not. The day job can get pretty stressful (I work in public education), and it's just a joy to come home and sit behind the drums, even if it's only for 10 minutes or so. It's relaxing, inspiring, and it keeps me going. Recently, my good friend and long time guitar player have started getting together regularly again, and I know there will be gigs again in the near future - but I have really enjoyed the time just playing drums here in my music room. I have enjoyed those moments just as much as I enjoy playing in front of an audience. The music and this instrument has really saved my sanity (and more than likely my life) many times over the years, but especially this past year. I hope some of you feel the same way.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel the same way.

Drums and drumming really got me through those scary early days of Covid here in NYC. It's better now, but still not anywhere near normal, so its great to head into the basement and hit the drums to release the anxiety and just feel good for awhile. Drums saved my sanity as well!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautifully stated! It's good to be reminded of why we started this crazy journey in the first place, for the joy of the instrument! Play on and thanks for the reminder to us all to keep that inner flame burning bright!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So true.

This last year of shut down is the first time since high school where I have actually had time to shed. By not having to commute I’ve found a few extra hours in the day to play or listen.

All of my playing over the last decade has been either at rehearsals or shows, so this time alone has felt somewhat magical.

I’ve worked with a metronome as well as played along to music I normally would not play, so I’d also like to think there’s been some growth.

For kicks I’ve also pulled up some chestnuts from back when I first started and played along. The nostalgia is comforting, and it feels satisfying to know I’m at least a little better than I was at 15.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tend to realize how much something means to you when it is gone.

I practice daily. My band has resumed rehearsals, although we really don't know when we'll be gigging. It has allowed us to reach a bit, try some different material.

It keeps me and and my spousal unit sane. :)

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
So true, yesterday I just pulled out a snare and some sticks and played some rolls and rudiments. It centers you (as does going for walks, exercising, cooking etc.) but making music, especially practising, seems to remind me of all kinds of positive things, it lifts the morale, balances you. A kind of „happy practicing“, part of it seems to be to focus on your strengths and weaknesses equally, in an honest way, the glass being half full AND half empty at the same time.

Last edited: