The kit that got away

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We all have tales of fantastic drum sets that you just missed out on . Come on folks fess up and tell us your regretful tale.

The tale for me involves a Noble and Cooley Star series kit . The toms on the kit were all steambent maple and short stack style toms . The bass drums were regular multiply maple shells . This particular kit was for sale at Songbird Music in Toronto . It was up for sale for $1650 Canadian . Unfortunately for me at the time I was married to an extremely frugal Woman that threw nickels around like manhole covers and had a death grip on our bank accounts . It took me a couple days to convince her to let me buy the kit and when I got back to Songbird the kit was gone . It has bothered me all these years as these kits are very rare and collectible .

Attachments

Agop Tomurcuk

Reaction score
Some years ago I owned a stave snare drum made from Honduran mahogany (the shell was like 1,5" thick). It was a very sensitive and also very powerful drum and I really liked it. I don't know why, but someday I sold it. Same with an old Zilciler flat ride, I really don't know why ...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
We all have tales of fantastic drum sets that you just missed out on . Come on folks fess up and tell us your regretful tale.

The tale for me involves a Noble and Cooley Star series kit . The toms on the kit were all steambent maple and short stack style toms . The bass drums were regular multiply maple shells . This particular kit was for sale at Songbird Music in Toronto . It was up for sale for $1650 Canadian . Unfortunately for me at the time I was married to an extremely frugal Woman that threw nickels around like manhole covers and had a death grip on our bank accounts . It took me a couple days to convince her to let me buy the kit and when I got back to Songbird the kit was gone . It has bothered me all these years as these kits are very rare and collectible .
Still married to that frugal woman Rick? ;-)

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ouch.
I've seen one of those kits. Amazing!

I had a local bud who owns a shop call me one day several years ago.
He had a 59 Ludwig 20,12,14 in Gold Sparkle. Unbelievalbe pristine shape. One owner that I knew.
It had a sweet set of Zildjian cymbals AND a COB Supra from the same period.
He offered it to me for a song ... a single k. We are pretty good friends.
I had literally just taken shipment on two kits. It wasn't a money issue. I just couldn't justify another kit.
It hurt to say no ... but it was the correct decision at the time.
I miss that kit when I think about it.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Double bass COW Slingerland 3 ply with 6 concert toms $250 .

I had $250 in savings that was it , I was trying to be responsible .
My wife at the time told me to go get them the next morning ,they sold right after I left the store ..UGH...

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The one that got away (through my own fault) was a Yamaha Recording Custom kit that was listed here on DFO 3 years ago for a great price. A forum member from Canada had a pristine 5 piece kit (4 toms, bass drum) that was one of the last kits manufactured in Japan. I was extremely interested but neither of us could determine what it might fees might be involved to transport it over the border. I eventually ended up with my holy grail kit ('65 Ludwig Super Classic in OBP) so I really don't have any regrets, especially since the kit was gifted to me. However, every once in a while I get the urge to play a larger kit and wonder what it would be like to have a set of Recording Customs. I believe someone else on this forum eventually purchased the kit.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's easy. 10/12/14/20/snare Ayotte kit in a deep blue, almost purple lacquer finish. Brand new. This is the early aughts and Ayotte had just obliterated their dealer network and the local dealer was furious. He was offering the kit for like $1600. I did not buy it and still regret it nearly 20 years later. It was the prettiest Ayotte kit I've ever seen.

MrYikes

Reaction score
Mine is more down to earth. Goodwill had a 4 piece in silver sparkle with single lugs centered. It was a very cheap set but as soon as I saw it the phrase "executive elegance" came to mind. I almost got it with my $40 max bid.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
For me it was a GMS snare in 6.5” Piano Black Lacquer. I was big into mountain bike ridding when I was in my twenties. The owner of my local bike shop, Bob Harrington, also a drummer, had taken in this snare as a trade from the drum manager of our local Drum Shop; Caruso’s Music: John Van Ness.

Bobby was a Vintage guy so he sold the snare to me. I played that snare for 10 years. It was just great. At one point I wrote GMS with the stamp number and asked them if they could tell me anything about it. They wrote right back telling me that it was a Grand Master snare and that the stamp # placed it in an era when these drums were still being made by the owners in their garage.

Well one day, I get it in my head that I only want to keep my Vintage Tama snares around so I put that GMS on eBay on a old school auction and it sold for something stupid like $180!

I would really like that snare back.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
60's Rogers in WMP 13/16/22 w/a "metal" (COB?) snare - in the early 90's - it was $600 and way too rich for me at that time.....I still remember the sound of that kit!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It was at the second Chicago show I went to...might have been the 3rd one. Guy takes out a red satin flame Jet set with an 18" bass drum, chrome snare, Zildjians, stands and cases. I think he was asking $750. Instead of grabbing it, I hemmed and hawed, called my wife, ate lunch. Decided to go grab it and another buyer was packing it up.

Agop Tomurcuk

Reaction score
I really remember the first time I visited Frankfurt Musikmesse (2006 I think). It was the time when Pearl released their Reference Series and they had a really big kit on their booth. I had to play my Sonor Force 3005 for another 8 years until I got my Delite kit.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I had a late 40's WFL set WMP 24,13,16, Ray McKinley snare all with aluminum WFL badges. It was like a Buddy Rich dream set and a friend of mine wore me down to sell it to him. I actually had another floor tom with it too but it wasn't a good match so I sold that on it's own. It wasn't long before my friend sold the set and it ended up with Buddy Rich collector Tommy Piorek. At least it went to a great guy who certainly appreciated it. Tommy managed to find another correct badge floor tom and he had it as the centerpiece in a Buddy Rich display t the Chicago show several years back. It was strange seeing those set up at the show knowing that I had spent some time getting that set together in pieces. The bass and snare came together and I found the 13 and 16 later. They were all a perfect match though. I never should have sold those...

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Psych Red double bass kit at GC 20 years ago, didn't have the funds.

Agop Tomurcuk

Reaction score
I won't do the same mistake again with my snare drum (I've been playing it for the last six years now). I'm not sure, but I think there are not many of those drums, so I can't buy it back ... For me it fits like my favourite underpants :D

jaymandude

Reaction score
Don't remember the year. early 2000's. Looking to get away from Gretsch drums, toss up between a new Brady ( they had just started remaking kits) and a used orange Sparkle Lacquer Ayotte with wood hoops. I picked the wrong one, shoulda bought the used Ayotte.