The Kites - that Troutstudio - TIGHT!

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So - I was checking out some vids today comparing Ludwig snares - stumbled upon a great video comparing the Acro and Supra - and discovered it was on Troutstudio's channel. Hey I know that guy - he's all over the forums.

So I checked out some of his videos......this band called The Kites........Holy Crow!! Those guys are TIGHT. That's about as good as I have ever heard a live band play - nailing all the parts, great backing vocals - great tones, nobody stepping on anybody's toes, great groove.....it just blew me away!

I suppose I should throw this in here somewhere: http://www.kitesband.com/home/

So if you haven't ever heard Paul's playing....check them out. IMPRESSIVE, especially considering the songs they do.

You can start with Babylon Sisters........

Last edited by a moderator:

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man,.. the band was killin it.. and crowd was dead.. like the band was not even playing..

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Totally agree. And a percussionist that sings his ass off. Great job Paul.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That band is way too good to be playing in this room (what is this a doctor's office?), with this dead of a crowd. That's all I've got to say. Damn shame.

They crush it.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
devinw said:
That band is way too good to be playing in this room (what is this a doctor's office?), with this dead of a crowd. That's all I've got to say. Damn shame.

They crush it.
Honestly, while a band who can convincingly quote Steely Dan is top shelf, has Babylon Sisters ever been a huge crowd pleaser? How many people under 35 know that song exists? Paul's band is fantstic. But we all know Three Chord Chuck & The F**ktards are playing to a packed, ape-s*** house a few blocks away. That's how it goes.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:

They crush it.
Honestly, while a band who can convincingly quote Steely Dan is top shelf, has Babylon Sisters ever been a huge crowd pleaser? How many people under 35 know that song exists? Paul's band is fantstic. But we all know Three Chord Chuck & The F**ktards are playing to a packed, ape-s*** house a few blocks away. That's how it goes.
Stilton on a fine water cracker is far superior to Cheez-Wiz on a Triscuit but guess which is consumed more.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, Paul and his band are the real deal. Good on ya for posting this, drummerjohn. Besides being a great drummer, Paul is also a stand-up guy.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
& You Dont Stop said:

They crush it.
True.

I guess I just figure if they can do Babylon Sisters this well, they probably have a lot of other artillery. But yeah, I totally get your point.

Mass consumption is not necessarily an indicator of the quality of the product nor the skill of the craftspeople making it.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Josie ain't so bad either! :) And wow, do Paul's drums sound great in these videos!

Last edited by a moderator:

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts - much appreciated. I take those songs pretty seriously - like we drummers do with our repertoires. Babylon would have been song one or two in the night. It's a three set Sunday evening at that gig and the last two sets we play music you can dance to and the floor is packed. It certainly was quiet for that recording! I'll get that song just right one day. I don't want to play it note for note - I just want to know what he played, note for note ;-)

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Yeah, I discovered The Kites about six months to a year ago and downloaded a number of their videos to my computer. Smooth band. :)

Latest posts