The Kites - that Troutstudio - TIGHT!

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
troutstudio said:
It certainly was quiet for that recording! I'll get that song just right one day. I don't want to play it note for note - I just want to know what he played, note for note :wink:
Trout, you got it covered! Freaking awesome...

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
TDM said:
Yeah, I discovered The Kites about six months to a year ago and downloaded a number of their videos to my computer. Smooth band. :icon_smile:
very smooth

davidh

Reaction score
My experience of Australian and New Zealand live music performance in pubs and the like is that the standard is and always has been exceptionally high. Perhaps this a function of the remoteness of these places as there was little in the way of tours by famous artists. When I was young in NZ in the '60s a decent band had to produce convincing versions of the top hits of the week plus all those of years and years past.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It almost looked like those 2 babylon sisters were gonna shake it on the dance floor then they chickened out…. believe me, they'd be shaking it down here in New England! Steely's a staple here but I've heard no one -not even a steely tribute band I saw here - do that song as meticulously as you guys did it! You got a real nice mix and recording that night - very professional and impressive indeed!

I especially liked the videos of Paul playing those sweet Rogers, but what was the Black kit you were playing on the Babylon video? Were those the Pearls I saw on the band's website?

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm sitting here stunned :shock:

Trout, you guys sounded much better than the real Steely Dan the last time I saw them. Bravo!!!!

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
homeby5 said:
I'm sitting here stunned :shock:

Trout, you guys sounded much better than the real Steely Dan the last time I saw them. Bravo!!!!
Yeah - that's what I'm sayin'! That's why I started this thread. I've seen SD live, and while it was great - Paul and The Kites was as good or better than them (likely subject to the vibe of the night - we all have good gigs and not so good gigs). They no doubt took the time to get it right - on pretty much everything I have watched them play (several videos).

We all long to find our way into bands that take it seriously so as to deliver something really worthwhile and something to be proud of. Paul has certainly found it and my guess is that there are ALOT of drummers here catching this thread that recognize that.

Meanwhile, Paul is as nice and level-headed as his playing is here.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
APelletier said:
It almost looked like those 2 babylon sisters were gonna shake it on the dance floor then they chickened out…. believe me, they'd be shaking it down here in New England! Steely's a staple here but I've heard no one -not even a steely tribute band I saw here - do that song as meticulously as you guys did it! You got a real nice mix and recording that night - very professional and impressive indeed!

I especially liked the videos of Paul playing those sweet Rogers, but what was the Black kit you were playing on the Babylon video? Were those the Pearls I saw on the band's website?
That was the Yamaha RA's (very early RC's) that I owned for a while. They were severely trashed (hire kit) but they came up so well. I pulled them completely apart and put them back together without a single part needing replacement, except for one tom arm. And these were drums that had been in continuous hire at a rehearsal space for 30 years. I always thought Yamaha made good drums but those things were awesome. Light too. I sort of wish I had kept them, but I already had a black kit of Pearls and I didn't really love the bass drum. That's when I decided to sell a few kits and buy the Sakae's. Those Yammies sold BIN on eBay in 15 minutes. (I kid you not) Thanks for the nice comments all.