The kits that find their way back home

A_T_P

Reaction score
I sold these to an uncle of mine around 10 years ago with a “if you ever think about selling these, give a me a call” disclaimer. This past week I got “the call”.

Early 70’s (13” stamped 1969), blue olive badges (two badges with no serial numbers) 22-16-13-12 three-ply goodness. Not a collectors piece, but they sound amazing!

Anyway, hope other people have had this experience..If so, share!

Attachments

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I sold my 90's Gretsch 22/10/13/16 in Tony Williams Yellow around 10 years ago locally to me in Northern California. I always regretted selling that kit!

Earlier this year my old kit popped up on Maxwell's site in New York! I jumped on them and they are now back in Northern California. I swapped out the Yamaha mount on the bass drum with a Gretsch and I recently drilled the 13" tom so no more RIMS mount. I'm on the fence on whether I should sell the 10" tom as I never use it.

D9902490-0D2C-4F69-9F30-6DD41368405C_1_201_a.jpeg
061AEC47-E55F-4D53-A5C1-F50FF2B59A46.jpeg
31FE9168-34BE-448A-B8D3-7F7C46110F85_1_105_c.jpeg
6DFDC8CC-19E1-41C1-A3B0-BA6E74A20CE6_1_201_a.jpeg

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I originally picked up my 63 Slingerland kit from my neighbor while I was in Jr High in exchange for mowing his lawn all summer one year. Because I was young and dumb, I traded it for a Pearl Export a few years later. Sold the Pearls, went to college, got married, went through a few other kits and then, these blue Slingerlands popped up on CL! I worked a deal and when I pulled them apart to clean them, I recognized some of the irregularities in the stamps and such. 99% sure they're the exact same kit from before.

24148891897_a085307fb7_b.jpg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I sold these to an uncle of mine around 10 years ago with a “if you ever think about selling these, give a me a call” disclaimer. This past week I got “the call”.

Early 70’s (13” stamped 1969), blue olive badges (two badges with no serial numbers) 22-16-13-12 three-ply goodness. Not a collectors piece, but they sound amazing!

Anyway, hope other people have had this experience..If so, share!

I would love to see a full picture of that 13" along with a picture of the badge and date stamp if you ever have a minute? I have been collecting pics of this kind of stuff for a while now and there are very few B/O drums that I have ever seen with a 1969 date stamp. Looks like a very nice set.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have posted this before but I always thought it was a cool story so thanks to A_T_P's invite , I can share it again...

This was my cousins drum kit in the late 1960s and I first remember falling in love with it around 7 or 8 years old. We were at their home often and each visit I spent playing this little kit (a standard 4 piece at the time). Then that faithful Christmas in 1970 when my cousin received a new Slingerland set (a 50N in sparkling silver and full hardware just like the 70 catalog) and my Mom bought me his blue custom fiberglass kit! You know that I was just as thrilled and proud with this set as he was with his!

I have no photos of the drums in their original configuration, but it was obviously the same set as this photo less the converted tom made from the kit snare. In 1978 I ordered my first pro kit and impatiently waited on its arrival from some distant land. I had to pre pay for my new Superstars and when the store called to tell me my drums had arrived, they explained that I still needed to pay about $100 in sales tax! So like any good young rock wannabe, I promptly headed to the local pawn / music store and sold off the blue set for $75.00! I knew I would never see them again, but the excitement overshadowed any thought of nostalgia?

Fast forward 15 or 20 years later and I received a call asking if I happened to be Ward Wilson and did I ever play a blue sparkle drum set? Why, yes I am and yes I did, why? It was a young high school band director from a small town 30 miles away who had met me a few times at my drum shop. He said he was cleaning out a large storage closet in the band room and discovered an old blue sparkle set with my name painted on the kick head, someone had tried to spray paint over it but it was still clearly visible. He said they were in bad condition but if I wanted what was left, I was welcome to come pick them up. So just like that, I was reunited with the very set that had begun my drum love affair all those years before.

So they are nested under a workbench and I have plans of restoring them one day for my Grandson. I did the snare a while back and while it sounds AWFUL (trust me, a boat shop made fiberglass drum shell is NOT all it is cracked up to be!) but it is with me and I think I will keep. My grandson will get his fathers first snare that I built for his dad when he played in middle school band.

Sorry for the ramble, I just think it's a fun story to recall and tell. Well, at least for me!

The snare today...

DSC06080 5X7.jpg

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish I could get my first vintage Pearl kit back, so many good memories. I know where it might still be and who might still own it but it is in a different country, far far away, and I can’t easily get it back.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have any burning desire to get a particular kit back but I would love to know where my previous kits are at this time, especially my 60's Gretsch Progressive Jazz kit that I sold in the mid 80's. Hopefully, someone is still enjoying playing them

Latest posts