The Knack - Live from 1980

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure was nice when bands did not all wear black shorts, black sneakers and black tshirts and appear in “get out my concert, motherxxxxxx” videos where kicking fans out of shows guaranteed YouTube time. And practiced. Cool Gretsch kit too.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not dissing the band at all, as they are amazing. For me, though, that particular song is an example of how skilled execution takes an otherwise lackluster tune and elevates it to something impressive.

I think his Sharona went on to be a realtor in L.A.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I spot a Tama Bell Brass. The strainer/roller system give it away. Great band.

From when Vic Salazar posted about him on fb a few years back, not sure who he was quoting:

“Bruce was a little brother figure to me. Back when The Knack’s “My Sharona” was being played on the radio every ten minutes, he came over to my house one night, bounding up the stairs in a black turtleneck sweater, black jeans and Beatle boots, cigarette in one hand and a snare drum tucked under the other arm. Hands me the drum. ‘Happy Birthday, Jimmy!’ A Tama bell brass snare, the most expensive drum at that time. I had told him earlier that his snare sounded great on the record. So he brought me a new version of the one he used. I told him, ‘You shouldn’t have done that.’ ‘Hey man, I can afford it now.’ So, he was off and running and I was very happy for him."

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
We should be getting ready for the Power Pop Revival now. It’s inevitable Gen Z will stumble upon Big Star, the Knack, Cheap Trick, etc. and all new bands will be Neo-Power Pop.

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bruce was a little brother figure to me. Back when The Knack’s “My Sharona” was being played on the radio every ten minutes, he came over to my house one night, bounding up the stairs in a black turtleneck sweater, black jeans and Beatle boots, cigarette in one hand and a snare drum tucked under the other arm. Hands me the drum. ‘Happy Birthday, Jimmy!’ A Tama bell brass snare, the most expensive drum at that time. I had told him earlier that his snare sounded great on the record. So he brought me a new version of the one he used. I told him, ‘You shouldn’t have done that.’ ‘Hey man, I can afford it now.’ So, he was off and running and I was very happy for him."
That was Jim Keltner.