The Least favourite snare you currently own

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let's have some fun and maybe get some trades going potentially. There are all sorts of threads about what is your favourite snare drum.
So let's change it up . What is the least favourite snare drum you own currently. Maybe add some detail as to why it is your least favourite.

My current least favourite snare I own is a N&C Alloy Classic 4.75" model. I actually don't dislike it at all but for the thread sake it would be the first
snare I would sell if I was stuck for cash . I do use it frequently , it just is not as much a favourite of mine than the other snares I currently own.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll go with my '69 Acro. Like you, I don't dislike it at all and play it frequently. Out of all my snares (9), I just feel like it would be the easiest to replace if I needed to get rid of it. I own a '68 400, which covers a lot of the same ground as the Acro. My other 7 snares besides the Acro and 400 are much more difficult to come by in the wild, so the rarity factor, or lack thereof with the Acro, would be in play.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Goodbye to my late 1970s Acrolite. Going up on Craigslist soon. Haven’t touched it in years. If I need another one, I’ll get another one. But, given I haven’t played it since 2009 or so, I think it’ll be okay not having it in the garage.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A DW 6.5” x 14” Black Ti titanium. I don’t dislike it, but I have 3 other Dunnett titanium drums and so it doesn’t have a chance of seeing stand time. Plus, I’m not a fan of the DW Silver badges. It’s currently on Craigslist.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't like enough to currently own it!

Tama Imperialstar 14x5. I first got it because of chatter on DFO about the old Imperialstar snare being so good. It had no body, way too dry and could only crack. Maybe I picked up a dud? I don't know, but I didn't hear what people raved about.

Luckily I think it only cost me $100 and I cared so little for that drum that I let GC take it off my hands for $50. That was the worst snare I've ever owned without question.

2nd worst? Surprisingly, the Gretsch maple/walnut checkboard segment drum. Very one dimensional and cold.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Ludwig Acrolite. Looks beautiful on the shelf, that’s why I keep it but it sounds like crap.

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slingerland snare from 1959 just never makes it into any situation in which I am playing. Number 2 would be a 2018 Ludwig Bronze 6.5X14 snare. It is a great drum, but I think I already have most of the sonic ground covered by this drum with my Black Beauty and my 402. I definitely prefer the sound of the BB and the 402 as well.

Last edited:

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Tama Starclassic, 5.5" birch. I quite like it, it's a nice enough drum, but it doesn't have much personality. Its main virtue is that it integrates perfectly with the set it belongs to, which apparently can be good or bad. Last time I went to record with it the engineer told me to switch it out for my old Pearl Chad Smith signature snare, 5" steel!

Last edited:

Malc

Reaction score
IMG_20200802_100307905.jpg

I've owned this Premier APK snare for over 25 years now and almost everything about it is horrid. The throw is dreadful and I really have never got a sound I was happy with out of it. She now lives in my garage,used with a mesh head on my practice kit,and finally I've found a good use for her.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
my least favorite was a clear acrylic snare I put together so I bought a 6.5x14 Worldmax Black over brass shell and that’s a new favorite. Based on how little it gets played I guess the next one would be the 66 Acrolite. I bought it because it was cheap, in excellent shape and made a month after the year I was born. That being said I do have a solid Walnut N&C 7x14 for sale

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DSC06080 5X7.jpg

I have one that I do not play but is a permanent member of the family... my very first snare drum that was the kit snare to my first kit. This is hand laid fiberglass in blue gelcoat that was custom made in the mid 1960’s in Little Rock Arkansas by a guy working at a boat company called REMCO. He made the shells and used MIJ imported Pearl hardware.

While this thing occupies a sentimental place in my collection it sounds AWFUL! It has no bearing edges, just a somewhat round cylinder of blue gel cote fiberglass. I sold it with the set to a pawn shop / music store when I was 16 and it made it's way home 20 years later so I think it will be my kids problem to do something with it when I'm gone!

20200125_190045.jpg

I have a custom walnut and maple stave snare that I am so proud of as it is serial #1 from one of my favorite custom builders. I had the opportunity to design exactly what I wanted and even select my own wood and finish and it's everything I could have hopped for. I am thrilled to own the instrument and would not entertain selling it, but it really does not get played.

What I discovered in the process was that I'm not a huge fan of stave drums or at least the thicker ones. They have a higher fundamental pitch, are louder and more aggressive than ply shells to my ear. I have used this drum many times in the right conditions and was thrilled with it, I just dont have the opportunity to use in in the right context very often. But as I said, I'm very pleased to own it and it's almost a museum piece to me.

20200516_210953 copy.jpg
As for a drum that has no real sentimental place in my collection, it's my Maple Tama Starphonic. I bought it as the world was shutting down and while I have played it a bit at home, I have never had the opportunity to play it out live (when I have been playing I have been using my go to copper) so we have no relationship as of yet... we will see.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Beverly Cosmic 21 aluminum , very early 70's ... the honeymoon is definitely over .

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
My least favourite is my 14x8 Steel Supralite. I can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s voice doesn't move me. I am funny like that, I reckon.

Last edited:

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Pulse piccolo steel snare. I got a ton of extras when I bought my last used kits (extra boom and cymbal stands, 3 thrones, extra bass pedals, etc.) and this snare was one of the extras. My son asked to use it as a side snare, but he barely ever uses it.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I had to choose one, it would be the 14x6.5 Pearl Sensitone aluminum. I still like it, but it would definitely the first one to go for a trade or to sell.

20200608_114727.jpg

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Rogers chrome 5x14 dynasonic I got new in '72. Never liked it....always sounded mushy. Every so often I lost after Roger's sets, so I pull it off the shelf, crank it up, and it disappoints. Love powertones though.