The Least favourite snare you currently own

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I almost bought one of those in 14x8. Any other gripes aside from the hoop?
nope;
problem to me with the top of the hoop (it curves upwards-instead of flat) is that I can't access the range of rimshots I like to utilize..) and I don't believe I'll ever adapt to it

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in very good shape with snares now. If I had to sell one it'd probably be the Stage Custom Birch even though it's a perfectly good snare drum that would handle basically any gig.

Vicey

Reaction score
Pearl Dennis Chambers signature snare: the older maple 14 x 6 or 6.5, not the current metal version. On paper it's great, but I've never been able to get the sound out of it that I think it should be capable of. It's very dry for a maple snare. I've gigged it a few times, but I can't decide whether I want to spend more time tweaking it or just sell it. Meanwhile it's the Ludwigs that get played.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My least favorite snare I own is a Tama Brass Nickel 6.5 x 14" from 2003. Very heavy, solid snare mechanism, sounds incredible. I absolutely love it, BUT I sadly don't use it for gigs anymore simply because I own a 15" Supralite and 14 x 6.5 Stainless Steel Black Magic.

The Tama Brass Nickel is rock solid and I just can't pull the trigger on selling it, though I may have to since it doesn't see much use lately. A great "least favorite" snare to have in my collection.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Tama Starclassic, 5.5" birch. I quite like it, it's a nice enough drum, but it doesn't have much personality.
I own the same drum and it's an instrument of exceptional quality but the harsh & bright tonality has seldom sounded pleasing to my ear so I always leave it home when I gig my Starclassic kit and take another snare instead.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
For me, it’s a Slingerland 6 1/2” brass 2 to 1. It’s decent and the shell is great. Because of the lug scheme however, it’s a real challenge to tune. I enjoy owning it because it’s an odd bird, but the application is very limited.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an Acro that came along with a used kit I bought that I've never used. The lugs were replaced with bow tie lugs. It's in my plans to get some ribbon lugs and puresound wires.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
How about a Kent made in Asia COS 5X14? Or a Pork Pie Mahogany (luan) 6X13? I have no use for these drums.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive owned 3 Boomtheory kits.
Loved them all.
Gave a BT snare to friend.
These snares have completely roundover edges and a deep bed.
He had the snareside re edged to a dub 45.
The snare is again mine and does it suck now!
May re edge it again.
But,it sucks where at one time it talked.
Band says Boo!

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The snare that came with my Ludwig Breakbeats kit is my least favorite. It’s fairly useless to me. I’m just keeping it so when I sell the kit it will complete.