The Least favourite snare you currently own

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Good question! I love all my snares and switch them out frequently. However, I'd say my Pfeifer 6.5x14 brass, and Pfeifer 5.5x14 Purple Heart snares are expendable. I'd sell or trade those for the right cymbals at this point.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
nope;
problem to me with the top of the hoop (it curves upwards-instead of flat) is that I can't access the range of rimshots I like to utilize..) and I don't believe I'll ever adapt to it
Hmmm. Size/finish?
Interested in a Supralite?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got my 4th snare drum. First time I've had that many. 3 New ones in just about a year. I like them all very much, and they are all incredibly distinct from one another. But if I had to let one go, it would be the Tama S.L.P. Hickory. It's a great drum, and I love it's sharpness and attack. But just knowing how I like hearty and fat, of the 4, it would be the last one I grabbed.

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ludwig Blackcrolite....It's like putting a muzzle on an Acrolite !

fusseltier

Reaction score
Pearl limited edition 14x8 made in China garbage.
The lugs started popping off, and I had to replace all lugs with better quality lugs.

Dan K

Reaction score
Fun topic! I have a 5x14 Corder wood shell drum that I have not really bonded with - sounds good but I REALLY like my other 3 better so it would be the one to go. To be fair, the other three are: 7x14 Noble & Cooley maple, 6.5x14 DW Titanium and a 5.5x14 Hoshino Era Camco that is simply amazing. And they are a LOT more expensive than the Corder.

Dan

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Currently own? None. But I will say, I see a few folks down on the Luddy Acrolites. Before you give up on it, do yourself a favor and make some changes. The wires blow, get rid of those, change your heads and definitely lose the flimsy hoops. Here's the thing with that drum, it's a very feminine sound due to the thin & unplaced shell. You have to blend some masculinity into the mix. Try it, it may help tremendously in bringing the drum to life.

Tom Holder

Reaction score
I have five snare drums and I love 'em all. RK, Johnny C., Jazz Fest., Jazz Combo... what's not to like? All great sounding snares that have their place.

The Radio King is from the 40's, 7-1/4" deep solid maple. Records great... big fat tone for days. It's a Frankenstein with an assortment of hardware... 50's badge, 60's hoops & lugs, P-83 throw-off. Monetarily worthless, but maybe the best sounding snare drum I've ever heard for blues shuffles... A Fred Below special.

The Johnny Craviotto is my baby... my go-to. Gretsch hoops, P-83. Johnny made it for me in his backyard shop in '91. He signed it. This drum can do anything. Best dynamic range of any snare drum, period. Solid shell bird's eye maple. It's a knockout. I'd run into a burning building to save this drum. I keep it in two cases.

The little piccolo Jazz Combo is so perfect for piano trios in small rooms. I love using brushes on it. Nickel over brass hoops, blue/silver duco. I use it with a 8x20 Rhythm Traveler bass drum and an 18" sizzle ride. Lovely compact kit, perfect for weddings and dinner shows.

The Jazz Festival is not really a Jazz Festival. It's a transition badge Super Classic that I modified with a P-83. I still have the Classic throw-off in a coffee can somewhere, but I never liked that type of throw-off. They remind me of the "tombstone" Zoomatic, which is just a P.O.S. in my opinion. The only thing worse is the MIJ knockoffs that were so common in the late 60's. Junk! The P-83 is hard to beat, I think. Just my opinion, who cares? Anyway... COB drop-gate hoops, sounds fabulous for anything. If I didn't have the Johnny C., I'd play this drum all the time.

The only snare drum I own that sounds bad is an old (50's?) Slingerland Legion-Aire 10x14 parade drum. It's the usual mahogany shell, maple hoop marching drum we've all beat on in school bands. I keep it for sentimental reasons. It's got a nice "Rapid" throw-off, so similar to the P-83 I can't believe they weren't sued over it. Even the mounting hole spacing is the same! It's an 8-lug single-tension. Most drums like this are 6-lug, so it's got that going for it. It really sounds dreadful, though. It's probably the head... it still has the OEM batter head on it. No doubt an early effort at plastic heads. It would probably sound better with a coated Emperor on it, but that ancient Slingerland plastic head is unique. I never play it anyway. If I ever get a call for a marching band gig, I'm covered!

I love all of my snare drums and would not sell any of them for less than a grand. Even the Legion-Aire. And nobody's that stupid!

FlowTom

Reaction score
People are talking about real snare drums on this thread. So not to be left out, my vote goes to the dollar store snare that came with my Sonor Safari kit.
Since it's basically a parts snare, I'm going to level the snare side bearing edge to eliminate the snare beds, recut the bearing edge, and set it up with tom batter and reso heads. Then try different tunings. Not sure if it will sound useful at all, but it won't sound like anything else I have.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I currently own just two snares: a COB supra for gigs and home practice, and a Blacro for the rehearsal room. The supra is my clear favorite, but I also put a lot more into set up (fresher heads, more meticulous tuning, etc).

My least favorite snare I have ever owned is a toss up between the maple snare that came with my PDP CX kit and a 5" Pearl 'Jupiter' snare that I bought in an attempt to recapture the sound of a 6.5" model that I foolishly sold (it sounded great). Both the maple PDP and the 5" Pearl seemed hard to tune to anything I wanted to hear.

Han

Reaction score
My two least favorites are a Peavey Radial Bridge and a Ludwig Supraphonic 1961-1963? Red felt-Baseball bat muffler.
I bought the Peavey because it was so strange looking and I played a complete set of the Radial Bridge drums and they sounded great. This drum only sounds decent, to my ear, tuned in a bizarre way. If I tuned the bottom head much, much lower than usual, and the top head in the low to medium range it was okay. Any other tuning I tried, I didn't like at all.
I bought the Ludwig because I was doing a lot of recording and this drum was a "go to" for so many people. That being said, it never sounded very interesting to me and when I went through and played all of my snares, 15 or so, I rarely used it. I've been trying to sell off some of my snares since my days of doing sessions is practically over. At my age, and number of gigs I play, when we are actually able to play them! I don't need 10 snare drums. I'm sure I can get by with 3 or 4.

markkarj

Reaction score
I'm not sure I have a least favorite of the ones I currently own. I just figure I have some snares that are more versatile for the range of music I play, and a few that are "one trick ponies".

The drum that has most impressed me is a Premier early 90s (long lug) 6.5x14 steel snare (likely an APK I think). On its own, it wasn't much. With new heads, an S-hoop and Puresound wires, it has come alive. It can do everything from very pianissimo playing with great articulation to piercing back-beats.

I have a couple of popcorn snares that fall into the least versatile category. However, the Yamaha Stage Custom 5x10" does well for anything in sort of the U2 Zooropa vein.

While I'd like to get a snare that can do everything, I figure I need to enjoy the ones I now have. I sort of went overboard on cymbal purchases, and none of them made me a better drummer.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Only own one. But I never warmed up to the 402.

mcirish

Reaction score
Up till this last weekend I would say a Mapex Dillinger. The lugs were tapped so badly that tuning it was a real chore. It had a grind to it and just wouldn't tune evenly. I basically retapped every lugs, lubed them, replaced heads and wires and now it is completely usable. It's still not a favorite but it won't hold me back anymore. I wonder how many of these "least favorite" snares could be drastically improved with a little work?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha Oak Custom. Just dont like the tone and the crack. Probably need to work with it more

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently own? None. But I will say, I see a few folks down on the Luddy Acrolites. Before you give up on it, do yourself a favor and make some changes. The wires blow, get rid of those, change your heads and definitely lose the flimsy hoops. Here's the thing with that drum, it's a very feminine sound due to the thin & unplaced shell. You have to blend some masculinity into the mix. Try it, it may help tremendously in bringing the drum to life.
Been there, done that. Still don’t like it and I really wanted to. Same with the LM400.

The 402 on the other hand... love it!

1bignordic

Reaction score
Least favorite by far is a cheap 5x14 Mapex. Sounds like a box. I took it in on trade and will be doing some experiments on it to see if it can be improved. Gotta say though my 2 favs are my LM402 and my '60s Acrolite!