The Least favourite snare you currently own

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 453942
I've owned this Premier APK snare for over 25 years now and almost everything about it is horrid. The throw is dreadful and I really have never got a sound I was happy with out of it. She now lives in my garage,used with a mesh head on my practice kit,and finally I've found a good use for her.
Try putting die cast rims on it.

You wont even recognize it.

Also canopus vintage snare wires

Coated Amassador

It might become your favorite snare

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Rogers chrome 5x14 dynasonic I got new in '72. Never liked it....always sounded mushy. Every so often I lost after Roger's sets, so I pull it off the shelf, crank it up, and it disappoints. Love powertones though.
Dynasonics are great for sensitivity in recording. Unfortunately they are horrible live. How the value on the wooden shell Dyno's ever got so high is beyond me. I heard and played many, not a good drum for a working drummer.

bdallof

Reaction score
Let's have some fun and maybe get some trades going potentially. There are all sorts of threads about what is your favourite snare drum.
So let's change it up . What is the least favourite snare drum you own currently. Maybe add some detail as to why it is your least favourite.

My current least favourite snare I own is a N&C Alloy Classic 4.75" model. I actually don't dislike it at all but for the thread sake it would be the first
snare I would sell if I was stuck for cash . I do use it frequently , it just is not as much a favourite of mine than the other snares I currently own.
DW Performance Snare. I just can’t get a good crisp sound out of it. I had a Gretsch maple deep snare, don’t remember the model. It was killer.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DW Performance Snare. I just can’t get a good crisp sound out of it. I had a Gretsch maple deep snare, don’t remember the model. It was killer.
What size? I had a 6.5 x 14" and was thoroughly impressed with it. It was in a solid gig rotation with my Black Beauty, and Supraphonics (Bronze and Ludalloy). I'd still have it if I didn't sell it with the Performance Series Kit it matched/came with.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
I have a Ludwig Standard that I have never really been able to get into. I though it was part of the golden trilogy of affordable classic Ludwig snares with the Acro and the Supra but I thought it would have more mojo. I bought mine used off Reverb with old heads and snares so maybe if I give it a once over all-around it will speak more.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, this is a controversial take around these parts.
Believe me I know. I’ve tried so hard to like it; swapped hoops, wires, heads etc. Same with the LM400. I’ve owned a few, first I thought I had a dog, sold it, bought another; same story x 2. Played a few others; new ones, vintage ones.... No dig.

footbeat

Reaction score
My least favorite is an SP 13 x 4 that I inherited from a relative who never used it. It continues to never be used.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size? I had a 6.5 x 14" and was thoroughly impressed with it. It was in a solid gig rotation with my Black Beauty, and Supraphonics (Bronze and Ludalloy). I'd still have it if I didn't sell it with the Performance Series Kit it matched/came with.
I really like my 14x6.5 Performance snare to. I have a 13x6 top Edge Collector that is my least favorite. For some reason the top edge seems to choke out the sound on the 13? My 14” top edge snares are great.

Reaction score
I have a Ludwig Standard that I have never really been able to get into. I though it was part of the golden trilogy of affordable classic Ludwig snares with the Acro and the Supra but I thought it would have more mojo. I bought mine used off Reverb with old heads and snares so maybe if I give it a once over all-around it will speak more.
I have a late 60’s Ludwig Standard snare, found that it behaves more like a jazz fest, and low tunings are where it’s best suited...single ply ambassadors help too.

Reaction score
Least favorite( or the one I struggle the most with) is my ‘98 Craviotto (right side in photo)
Never can quite get the same feeling I get with the ‘regular’ DW from the same year (on the left). But I have not parted with it because, well, it’s a Craviotto...open to suggestions on tuning.
CE1B4860-AEDC-46FB-B132-4420659BCEA1.jpeg

Last edited:

bdallof

Reaction score
It’s 6.5x13. I guess an extra inch goes a long way.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the following:
DW Craviotto 6.5x14
Ridgeland Radio King 6x14
Mid 70's Gretsch 5.5x14
Gretsch Catalina Maple 5.5x14
1964 Rogers Powertone 5x14

Of the bunch, the 70's Gretsch is my least favorite, and is on loan to a friend, who loves it. Different strokes.

DaveA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic (because I like all the snares I own, currently)

The first nice snare I ever bought was the Ludwig Supraphonic I bought in 1971. Never really fell in love it. But it has that sound that's on a million records.

I have a couple (8 and 10 lug) aluminum Slingerland "Student" snare drums. I didn't like them until recently - so maybe aluminum drums aren't my favorite. I like brass and maple snare drums (especially solid maple Radio Kings).

I owned a Mapex birch snare drum that, on paper, I should have loved. 6 1/2", die-cast hoops, extended snares that tensioned on both sides. Plus, the color matched my drum set (and the lugs are kind of cool)! I NEVER could get a sound I liked out of this snare. I had a Yamaha Recording Custom snare that I liked the sound of, so it's not like I don't like the sound of birch. I came to believe that the bearing edges were too sharp - just like the sharp sound of this drum. SOLD!

Mapex6.JPG

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Acro... I’m too old to give a sheeet about what’s cool. This drum brings out the ugly side of group psychology - you’re not supposed to say they’re crap, you’re supposed to go along with the mythology that it’s this amazing cult instrument, that Ludwig somehow vastly underestimated its worth, blah blah blah.

I even wanted to like it, but never really could get into it. It’s become something of a hip drum to use, somehow negating the fact that it sounds like what it is - a decent student drum. Crap hardware. Serious, unfit for a proper instrument crap, like flat head screws on a piece of bent pot metal, lugs crumbling in your hand, worst throw ever crap. For decades you couldn’t give them away, you could have one any time for $100 or less, usually with a student case and a practice pad (because student drum). Then it became ‘cool’ - $150, $200, $250, $300?!, the Reverb listings now are laughable. The re-release for $400+ is just silly. The fact that it’s been named repeatedly in this thread says a lot I think. We’re supposed to love it, but really we don’t. (But don’t tell anyone I said that)

I picked up an SLP Classic Dry Aluminum - blows the Acro away in every regard.