the little things that count - drum related purchases

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd been wanting a shorter hi-hat rod for years and finally got one (dw short pull rod, 15"). The crash above and behind the hats can now flop around all day without interference. But that's nowhere near the best thing I ever bought for my drumming that wasn't actually drums or cymbals. My best related purchase would be the Hitachi cordless screwdriver and two drum key drill bits. Changing heads is fun and it the quickness invites trying new combinations.

What are the best drum related tools, accessories or mods you've bought? This could be interesting and rewarding. There was a stick, cell phone and drink holder table that looked cool but I've long since lost where I found it online.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not a purchase per se, but a small payment to have a metal shop cut down my hi-hat rod ..... :).......one other thing was a small trolley I once bought for a very heavy DW Edge snare ......don't have either now though.

Ian S

Reaction score
I went for some quick release cymbal toppers and probably addicted now. So far I've got a couple each by Trick and DW, and I like them a lot.

I think I'll be grabbing a short hi-hat rod too. Great thread idea, I'm always anxious to learn how to make life easier.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same DW 15" hi-hat rod as you. My hi hat rod would bump into one of my roto toms and that took care of it. Kenner leather bass hoop saver is a little one that's great. Protects the hoop from the bass pedal clamp:

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 12.52.53 AM.png

Another good one is the Nomo Finish protectors. I've got them on top of my bass and on the left and right side of my rack toms. Great product!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've probably said this here before, but... The "little" things that have made my professional life as a musician much better are...

*Roc n Soc Hydraulic throne. Comfort, much less physical fatigue.
*GK Ultraphones. Comfort, much less ear fatigue, and hearing safety when recording, practicing, or teaching.
*Custom molded ear plugs. Comfort, no ear fatigue when playing live.
*Evans magnetic cast drum key. Stays on a floor tom rod and doesn't rattle at all, and is easy to find when needed during a gig.
*Live BPM app. No more "opinions" regarding tempo (peace of mind.) And a great reference tool to use when everything feels "right."
* A really good hand cart. Of course these are necessary for gigs when you are bringing a full set. But I even use it when I am rolling into a gig with a house kit and am bringing my throne, cymbals, stick bag, and (maybe) a snare (or less.) One trip in and out.

A great drummer once told me that at some point it's time to stop working hard, and start working smart. For me, I think that was somewhere between age 45 and 47. I'm now 51. The above six items helped me do that, and have paid for themselves MANY times over! A wonderful snare or ride cymbal might help me SOUND better, but the above items made my LIFE better.

MSG

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A small tool kit that fits in the front pocket of my stick bag. It has a small pair of pliers, a phillips head and flat head screwdriver and drum key. Also a small zip bag full of cymbal felts, a tiny can of wd-40 and a roll of electrical tape. These small items have been invaluable at many gigs where something may come loose, be squecky or need to be loosened after the gig.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a purchase per se, but a small payment to have a metal shop cut down my hi-hat rod ..... :).......one other thing was a small trolley I once bought for a very heavy DW Edge snare ......don't have either now though.
I knew somebody would mention either taking the hh rod to a shop or DIY. To me, it's not worth the effort of either one when you can get it online for $15. How much did it cost at the metal shop?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Meinl hoop mounted cow bell holder. It has rubber imbedded in the clamp part so it doesn't mar the hoop.
That's much like the dw claw hook clamp. I have two of them for a bass drum that didn't have functioning spurs. Very useful for mounting a cowbell as you've done or a splash, etc.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went for some quick release cymbal toppers and probably addicted now. So far I've got a couple each by Trick and DW, and I like them a lot.

I think I'll be grabbing a short hi-hat rod too. Great thread idea, I'm always anxious to learn how to make life easier.
I've looked at quick release cymbal toppers many times but never tried one. I just let 'em fly with no wingnut, except on the Yamaha stand because I didn't want to put the pieces away. ha

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A great drummer once told me that at some point it's time to stop working hard, and start working smart. For me, I think that was somewhere between age 45 and 47. I'm now 51. The above six items helped me do that, and have paid for themselves MANY times over! A wonderful snare or ride cymbal might help me SOUND better, but the above items made my LIFE better.

MSG
That's a great lesson to learn. Working smarter is an art unto itself.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same DW 15" hi-hat rod as you. My hi hat rod would bump into one of my roto toms and that took care of it. Kenner leather bass hoop saver is a little one that's great. Protects the hoop from the bass pedal clamp:

View attachment 475733

Another good one is the Nomo Finish protectors. I've got them on top of my bass and on the left and right side of my rack toms. Great product!
I made my own finish protectors out of headphone bags for my Sony MDR 7506s from when I had a recording studio business. They have drawstrings at the top which I looped over the t-rods. Worked great. I should've kept them 'cos now I need to get some NOMO protectors. ha!

Maybe I can find some cheap vinyl or pleather headphone bags on amazon.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A small tool kit that fits in the front pocket of my stick bag. It has a small pair of pliers, a phillips head and flat head screwdriver and drum key. Also a small zip bag full of cymbal felts, a tiny can of wd-40 and a roll of electrical tape. These small items have been invaluable at many gigs where something may come loose, be squecky or need to be loosened after the gig.
I got a very similar tool not long ago. Only problem is if you lose the whole thing, you're screwed and have to track down everything piece by piece again. But it should be great at a gig (someday...).
pearl tech tool.jpg

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Gretsch USA kit at Valley Drum Shop (sadly, now defunct) I had Ron cut-down the main tubes on a pair of Pearl cymbal boom arms so I could use them over my bass drums. 36 years later(!) I still use one of them:

IMG_0742_S.jpg

And my most important piece of hardware that isn't an actual piece of drum hardware:

IMG_0739_S.jpg

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE
I knew somebody would mention either taking the hh rod to a shop or DIY. To me, it's not worth the effort of either one when you can get it online for $15. How much did it cost at the metal shop?

My local Ace Hardware does simple cuts like this for free.

Ian S

Reaction score
I've looked at quick release cymbal toppers many times but never tried one. I just let 'em fly with no wingnut, except on the Yamaha stand because I didn't want to put the pieces away. ha

Yeah, I see lots of drummers just leave the wingnut off. I guess I might be a bit more neurotic, personally. I prefer something on there for a little protection, against.. maybe huge gust of wind, intoxicated bandmate,, or extremely opportunistic thieves.. I'm not afraid of knocking cymbal off the stand while playing or anything, but still. It feels weird to not have the wingnut on.