the little things that count - drum related purchases

Cpb282

Reaction score
For my daughter who sings whilst drumming, it was using a Shure Beta 56a mic (a snare mic with side connection) for her vocals instead of a traditional mic, which was always getting in the way of her drumming.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wheels!
My hardware case is on wheels (its a golf bag)...I have 2 or 3 cymbal cases with wheels...why lift if you don't have to? I can usually wheel both while my snare drums on my back (back pack case).
the kick pedal can usually ride on/in one of the cases too.

one of my bass cases is on wheels.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bought 2 of these Husky tool boxes at less than $20 each. One holds my monitor, mics and cords and the other now holds all my small shakers, tools, tape, towels, notebooks and assorted smaller percussion. Got tired of throwing things into bags and not being able to find them. Also wanted to make sure my mic cords and such don't get damaged banging off the floor in a duffle bag.

husky.jpg

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lighter hardware that breaks down to a compact size. I can fit enough for a basic setup into this 24"x10"x12" plywood case (with room to spare), which I can lift/handle myself, and which fits in the boot of a compact car. That wasn't the case (pun intended) when I was hauling around double braced Pearl stands in a 36" Protector case.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I see lots of drummers just leave the wingnut off. I guess I might be a bit more neurotic, personally. I prefer something on there for a little protection, against.. maybe huge gust of wind, intoxicated bandmate,, or extremely opportunistic thieves.. I'm not afraid of knocking cymbal off the stand while playing or anything, but still. It feels weird to not have the wingnut on.
I might get a handful of the dw toppers because they look a lot better than nothing on top and for the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't tell if they'd impact the sound more than I'd like. I might be splitting hairs.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Gretsch USA kit at Valley Drum Shop (sadly, now defunct) I had Ron cut-down the main tubes on a pair of Pearl cymbal boom arms so I could use them over my bass drums. 36 years later(!) I still use one of them:

View attachment 475755

And my most important piece of hardware that isn't an actual piece of drum hardware:

View attachment 475756
I bought a pipe cutter tool and shortened the tube on a snare stand and one cymbal stand. It worked perfectly.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lighter hardware that breaks down to a compact size. I can fit enough for a basic setup into this 24"x10"x12" plywood case (with room to spare), which I can lift/handle myself, and which fits in the boot of a compact car. That wasn't the case (pun intended) when I was hauling around double braced Pearl stands in a 36" Protector case.

Nice to look at the kit again!

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bench-mounted buffing wheel. It's a major time saver for buffing out restoration projects. After disassembly, I can clean and shine a full kit in 20-30 minutes.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Sup Nutz for loosening/tightening wingnuts. I don't think they make them anymore, but you can find something similar by Gibraltar and on the side of the Tama multi tool (which I also love). I use the Sup Nutz all the time when I have to play a shared kit at a rehearsal space. People over-tighten wingnuts/bolts on the tom mounts all the time. Grr.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sup Nutz for loosening/tightening wingnuts. I don't think they make them anymore, but you can find something similar by Gibraltar and on the side of the Tama multi tool (which I also love). I use the Sup Nutz all the time when I have to play a shared kit at a rehearsal space. People over-tighten wingnuts/bolts on the tom mounts all the time. Grr.
I had to look at how the wing nut loosener is implemented. The slot on the side of the Tama multi tool is made for that (as you know). That sure beats carrying around a pair of pliers.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew somebody would mention either taking the hh rod to a shop or DIY. To me, it's not worth the effort of either one when you can get it online for $15. How much did it cost at the metal shop?
a friend with a hacksaw is even cheaper.

Ian S

Reaction score
I might get a handful of the dw toppers because they look a lot better than nothing on top and for the reasons you mentioned. However, I can't tell if they'd impact the sound more than I'd like. I might be splitting hairs.
The DW ones work as quick-release on all stands, but actually if you're using DW cymbal stands (unique thread gauge), once attached they can also be tightened or loosened to taste. The Trick brand ones are not adjustable like that once attached, but they come with their own mounting sleeve, and there's plenty of space after attaching the topper, the built-in felt is not touching the cymbal.. added felts are needed if one wants the cymbal "snugly felted".

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DW ones work as quick-release on all stands, but actually if you're using DW cymbal stands (unique thread gauge), once attached they can also be tightened or loosened to taste. The Trick brand ones are not adjustable like that once attached, but they come with their own mounting sleeve, and there's plenty of space after attaching the topper, the built-in felt is not touching the cymbal.. added felts are needed if one wants the cymbal "snugly felted".
Snugly Felted.. wasn’t he in Spinal Tap? :)
It might need possible to use a thinner felt under the cymbal if the dw will hold on too.. snugly. If not, I have a dw cymbal arm around somewhere that I can use for one of the toppers. Worth a try!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tapped dw stems to accept zil snaps which I've used since the beginning of time.
Rogers Quick release clutch
custom leather stick pouch/ holder on FT
custom leather stick and cup holder on hi hat
A5E6F757-D960-46F0-BE72-595ADD750492.jpeg
9D13AD75-2045-4A2A-A8B3-1EBB2A397979.jpeg
0968B79A-32EA-48EE-85FD-309414839712.jpeg
BCDE7067-E4F4-401A-AF08-5B8B01FEBDE8.jpeg

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a large stick bag with everything in it but oxygen acetylene tanks. Used to haul it everywhere and it was as heavy as an ox’s head.
Someone here hipped me to the small Tama Powerpad stick bag. Suddenly my travel got A LOT easier.

58BD80B7-A1E7-4DA9-B3B1-EF0ACCD60633.jpeg

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score