header.nohb.html

The magic 3A stick!

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
So my whole 20 plus year drumming career never thought to try 3a stick size and wow… it’s perfect

If you are like me and 5a are too small for the volume and durability you need 5B are to slow for the speed try these 3a’s!

groovemastergreg

Reaction score
I switched to Vater 3a's about 22 years ago and never looked back, after alternating between 5a's and 5b's to try to find the right stick. The 3a is just right.

Muns

Reaction score
So my whole 20 plus year drumming career never thought to try 3a stick size and wow… it’s perfect

If you are like me and 5a are too small for the volume and durability you need 5B are to slow for the speed try these 3a’s!
Just ordered. Ill give them a try.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My all-time favorite drum stick was the Promark 3D. It was 13 1/2" long and had an acorn-shaped tip; basically a shortened 5A. It was discontinued, long ago. Later on, they came out with a 3A. It was pretty much the same stick, but it had a round tip. It disappeared, as well. I still have a few pairs of that model, thankfully. I have a pair of Calato 3As. They are a nice sticks. Don't know if they make that model anymore. I've tried a pair of Zildjian 3As, but those sticks are clubs! Firth made a "Shogun" 5A, that was similar to the Promark 3D, but longer. It's no longer around. The Promark Rebound 5A is similar, as well, but I don't think it is around anymore, too. I don't believe I've tried the Vater model in that size. I'll look into it, but I like oak sticks the best.

mpungercar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried a pair of 3a's, but they felt way too front heavy. I used them for one set and then went back to my regular 5b.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a pair of Vater 3A about 5 years ago, thinking they'd be a nice compromise between a 5A and 5B. Like others have mentioned, I didn't like their balance or response at all, especially on the ride.

makemyown

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 49

makemyown

Reaction score
Regal tip ‘Rock’ 3A’s. 2 pairs gotten on sale 1988 still in use. Pair on left tips reduced to nubs decades ago. These are my favourite Bossa & light jazz, etc., sticks.

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I love me some 3A. I found some Vic Firth 3A a couple years ago at Guitar Center randomly. I've never found them in the store again, so I've had to order them since then.

BruceOrl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 3A's for practice pad work and usually go to a 7A and larger for gigs.

20221123_213828.jpg

mpungercar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s yer problem right there, pardner. First time with a new size is a trial for the practice room, not the stage ;)
Of course I tried them first at home, but at home in the practice room isn’t the same as the stage, and on stage confirmed my thoughts that I didn’t care for the sticks because they’re too front heavy.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played 5B for 20+ years....mostly Regal Tip, then Firth.
I decided to order 5 or 6 pair of VF sticks that I had never tried, just to see if there was something better out there.
I tried to keep the diameter of the 5B but try different lengths, weights, tips, etc.
I rejected all of them except the 3A....specifically the VF 3AN.
Love it!
I have played the 3AN exclusively now for the last 9 years.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice to see some appreciation for the 3A. The Vic Firth wood tip was my go-to for 21 years... it's a powerful, durable stick that doesn't feel monstrous in hand.

If you like the specs of the 3A but find it a bit too heavy in weight and forward bias, the Vic Firth Matt Cameron model is worthy option.

As is Gerald Heyward's stick, which also has a short taper, though it appears slightly longer than the 3A. Coupled with the smaller diameter I find it offers a quicker, snappier playing feel.