The making of a jazz festival

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I couldn't find the exact Jazz Fest that I wanted to match my kit so I decided to make one. Started off with a 6 and 1/2 in by 14 in Keller vintage mahogany shell. This shell came with 1 1/2 in tall reinforcement rings. I had planned this the whole time, I would trim a half inch off of each end of the shell ending up with a 5 and 1/2 in deep shell and 1 in tall reinforcement rings which is what my original jazz festival drum has. So tonight I cut the shell down and routered a 1/4 inch roundover Edge on the outside of the shell and a 45 degree profile on the inside of the shell just like my original drum. Next Step is to paint the inside of the shell White.0305191834.jpg 0305191834.jpg

Attachments

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin! Can't wait to get this done.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been studying the the snare beds on my original Jazz Fest. Not much going on there, looks like they might be maybe 1/16" deep spanning about 10" long. Does this seem normal?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
HECK YES! This is going to be so nice... what is going to be your finish of choice? And beautiful bearing work by the way!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HECK YES! This is going to be so nice... what is going to be your finish of choice? And beautiful bearing work by the way!
I chose Black Diamond pearl from jamming Sam's. Turned out to be the closest match to my kit. I had sample from precision drum but the chips we're too small.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I had to different White paints in my shop so I dipped a stick into the can and I think it's pretty obvious which one is the winner. The one on the right is actually some paint that I had made for my Camco set. I can't remember who it was but someone on this forum or possibly vintage drum forum gave me the formula for this paint. I would be happy to take a picture and share that information if anyone is interested. So now I'm going to get this thing ready to spray, talk to you later.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
JC, it could have been me who gave you that info. For the benefit of others:

When I restored a Ludwig "jazzette" kit last March, I ended up repainting the inside but wanted them as close to factory specs as I could. So, I went with Benjamin Moore Regal semi gloss (N551 interior) and they had a color that nearly perfectly matched my '65 Pioneer (my best looking Ludwig white interior drum). Check out the match (note the paper sample under my finger, the left edge of the paper and the right edge just left of the left nut). The color is called Paper Mache (AF-25), a standard color. I got a gallon but barely used an 1" or so of it. I should have stuck with a quart...oh well. It is a thick paint that was hard to manage. I did 2 coats and it covered well and looks like my other vintage drum interiors. It was the right call.

Attachments

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes I do remember you posting that information and I took note of it. But I thought I would just check this paint that I had mixed for my Camco kit to see how it looked and it looked pretty good. This paint formula came from someone several years ago, it wasn't you. It was during the time when I was restoring a Camco drum set and I had a thread going on vintage drum forum about the restoration. I'm sure the paint you have is probably a better match simply because it's a semi-gloss. But this will do. Once it dries I'll set it next to my original Jazz Fest for comparison.

Latest posts