The making of a jazz festival

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
this is going very well, but what are you going to do for butt, throw and muffle?

glad to be a small part of your new drum. i hope this project shakes off some of your drummer blues.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
this is going very well, but what are you going to do for butt, throw and muffle?

glad to be a small part of your new drum. i hope this project shakes off some of your drummer blues.
Im using the throw and butt I bought from you, a red felt BB muffler from the store you hooked me up with, brand new lugs from drumsforsale.com, new rods and COB hoops from drumfactory.com. I am making this to drum to go with a black diamond pearl kit that I have, those drums all have red felt mufflers and COB hoops.
Thank you, you helped in a big way!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeff! You are a true master! I have no doubt that drum you'll be doing for me will be beautiful!

-Mark
Mark, your drum is at the color studio having the stain and finish matched up. I wont be getting it back until around March 19th. Soon as I get it I will get to work on it! Cant wait myself to see this one!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
By the way if anyone is interested I used the tape and the glue method for the wrap. Jamming Sam was the only one with the large chip BDP wrap so I went with him. After reading the thread about tape vs glue I decided I wanted to glue it on. Worked good really, the high bond tape used at the seam came in handy. And I have no worries about that ever coming loose because its covered 90% with a lug. The wrap was rather thick so I was worried about trimming it off but it trimmed real nice.

And, yes this project has helped with my drumming blues! By the time I get this done I will want to play again for sure!

Last edited:

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The in feed table on my planer works great for wrapping drums. Here's a picture of how I cheated on the laying out of the hardware.0308190653.jpg

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
cob hoops! yeah! i have about 20 ludwig snares and well over half have cob/nob hoops. they really do bring a drum to life. this project is coming along quickly now and looking good.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I got all the holes drilled. Now it's time to see if the parts fit the holes hahaha.15521019283888032416302436932897.jpg

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
fan-flippin-tastic. the only thing missing is some painted over interior glue drips........and you forgot the lug gaskets.

on a serious note, get a rotating date stamp and an ink pad from a stationary store and date mark it. you could do it on all drums you build. get a grease pencil and put on an inspector initial.

Last edited:

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, You think I should use the gaskets? I actually thought about making the paint runny.
I also thought about a date stamp. I do have some labels I could use that would indicate the make of the shell and other details. I want to do something to make sure know one ever thinks this is a real jazz fest.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
put gaskets on that beautiful drum and i will drive to your house and hurt your feelings. if it is stamped mar 9 2019 you are telling the truth, and fooling no one. sign a ''j'' with the grease pencil.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I don't have a actual date Stamper and really don't have time to go out and try to find one. Plus I can't see ever using that again. So I did write the date by hand with a black ballpoint pen.1552171524650223459734742699459.jpg

Latest posts