The making of a jazz festival

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It was a fun project, probably cost more than buying a vintage jazz fest but I had the joy of working on it. I had not played my drums for about a week, (took some time off because I was bored) last night I finally put the wires on and played it with the kit. I am very pleased, it tuned up easy and sounds like it should. And it really looks great with the kit, the toms on this kit are like brand new. The bass drum has a tad of fading but still matches well. I might build a 14" floor tom next because now I know it will look good and most likely sound great as well. Would prefer a vintage floor tom but to find one in that good of shape and have a red felt muffler could get expensive, figure I could build on for about 700.00. My jazz fest cost 600.00 to build, in case anyone is thinking about doing this.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow....that is quite expensive! I looked around for such a drum and only found one - it was sold on DFO in 2016 for $225.....surely not as nice as yours, though.

But I get it, you NEEDED that snare - I totally get it! Between the blood, sweat, tears, material and desire, in the end, it's was so worth it!

You gotta do that FT, man.....it's screaming for a rewrap.......

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow....that is quite expensive! I looked around for such a drum and only found one - it was sold on DFO in 2016 for $225.....surely not as nice as yours, though.

But I get it, you NEEDED that snare - I totally get it! Between the blood, sweat, tears, material and desire, in the end, it's was so worth it!

You gotta do that FT, man.....it's screaming for a rewrap.......
Well for 225 it couldn't have been to great of a drum. I have seen decent ones for around 400. But it was nice that I could take several months to purchase all of the parts opposed to shelling out several hundred dollars at once for a drum. Plus mine has a red felt muffler and I think thats cool, probably not a big deal to others but it was to me. I really enjoyed working on the drum so that makes the price tag acceptable to me, some guys spend a lot of money playing golf for enjoyment, I fix and build drums and have something to show for it when Im done.
That silver sparkle floor tom in my pic is all original, has nickle hardware and it looks great. I found it on Craigs list for 25.00,lol. So Im not planning on re-wrapping that drum. Besides it goes good with my silver sparkle Camco kit whuch has a 14" floor tom but I just tune them a little different and it works. I think it actually looks pretty cool with the black diamond kit as well.
Thanks so much for all of you nice comments along the way, now I need to figure out what to do with the wrap I bought from you.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It was a fun project, probably cost more than buying a vintage jazz fest but I had the joy of working on it. I had not played my drums for about a week, (took some time off because I was bored) last night I finally put the wires on and played it with the kit. I am very pleased, it tuned up easy and sounds like it should. And it really looks great with the kit, the toms on this kit are like brand new. The bass drum has a tad of fading but still matches well. I might build a 14" floor tom next because now I know it will look good and most likely sound great as well. Would prefer a vintage floor tom but to find one in that good of shape and have a red felt muffler could get expensive, figure I could build on for about 700.00. My jazz fest cost 600.00 to build, in case anyone is thinking about doing this.
It may have cost you 600.00 to build but I would think that the satisfaction you would get in doing this project would be off the charts. Great job and well deserved kudos!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well the nice thing about building a drum is the fact that you can purchase the parts little by little as opposed to shelling out several hundred dollars for a drum in a matter of minutes. I took about three or four months to cumulate the parts. Thanks everybody for your kind comments!

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful work and thanks for sharing this project with us! This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum so educational and inspiring.

Latest posts