The Mars Volta’s $479, 18-LP Box Set Sold Out in Less Than 24 Hours

E.L.

Reaction score
ans of long-running prog weirdos The Mars Volta got all hot and bothered yesterday morning when guitarist Omar Rodríguez-López’s Clouds Hill record label posted a mysterious seven-second video teasing something titled La Realidad De Los Sueños (“The Reality of Dreams”). Could the band be regrouping to release new music for the first time in nearly nine years??

Later in the day we got our answer, and it was a resounding “Nope.” But that hasn’t stopped the band’s fans from greeting the announcement with just-got-a-text-response-from-my-crush levels of excitement and promptly emptying their wallets of nearly that entire $600 stimulus check they received last month.

Instead of new music, The Mars Volta are trafficking in the old, an 18 LP box set that contains all six of the band’s studio albums (on double vinyl) plus the Tremulant EP, the original unfinished recordings of the band’s debut album in the form of Landscape Tantrums, unreleased material from the De-Loused In The Comatorium sessions, a photo-book with exclusive behind-the-scenes shots, two pins, a box for storage, and a rack for displaying it all. Everything is pressed on 180 gram black vinyl, as you’d expect for something like this.

The price tag? $479. Limited to 5,000 copies. All of which have already been snapped up.

When did The Mars Volta attract such a rabid (and rich) following?? I assumed that most folks bailed like I did after the disappointment that was the follow-up to the incredible, desert island-level De-Loused, and all the subsequent let-downs that continued after that. But I guess not. Good for The Mars Volta, though… they’re certainly world-class musicians deserving of the $2,395,000 they just grossed in the matter of a few hours.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bet they re-issue it they probably underestimated what it would sell but now that molds and everything you’re made for the pressing

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for them and their fans. What I’ve heard from them in the past was impressive.

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan. Glad I was able to catch them live

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to those weirdos now on Pandora.

Two things come to mind on the record release:

1. The famous Spinal Tap quote: "Their appeal is becoming more selective."

2. The relatively new Internet theory that "You Only Need 1,000 Followers to Be Successful."

kallen49

Reaction score
My daughter loved Mars Volta when she was 16 so we saw them in Toronto opening for System of a down.
I enjoyed MV, respected their musical ability, and I’m glad they are still making some money.
SOAD were more memorable. Their fans were ferocious. I laughed when they played a few bars of “Sultans of swing” and some Van Halen.

I’m reading Elvis Costello’s autobiography, he feels fortunate that he worked in the music business
“between the times when songwriters only got paid $50 and now, when everthing is free”.

The “1000 fans” essay was written in 2008. I remember reading it. As the Forbes article says it influenced and inspired a lot of today’s web commerce.
To my grandson who was born in 2008 and produces instagram videos of his hockey & lacrosse stick kills it‘s “relatively old”. POV I guess.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to see one of their early career shows. They blew me away live. Jon Theodore on drums, Eva Gardner on bass, Ikey Owens on keys. An unbeatable rhythm section, at the time. I never enjoyed their recordings all that much. Definitely a way better live band than recorded band.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Weirdest thing ever to see this considering I just listened to them for the first time today in a long time.

More Jon Theodore-era content? That's got me excited. They crashed and burned after they kicked Theodore out. Everything with him on it was stellar IMO. Jon is a monster.

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A while ago, a long while ago, I was in a weird prog band and we did some covers, and some TMV covers. I learned a few things from Theodore. Great player. Gave me an excuse to go off too, tastefully.

This always cracks me up. I didn't hit that hard when playing their stuff.

TGStan

Reaction score
Amazing band. Deloused is a masterpiece as far as I’m concerned. Desert island record for me.

However, I drifted away after Theodore left.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
best to them. i tried to listen a few years ago, but there was too much going on for me.
Thank you. I was wondering how I would sum it up. You just did it for me.

I have their first 3 releases and went back and got some At The Drive In so I could sort of figure out what MV was about. I have to say, MV is more polished, but I like At The Drive In more.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really tried to get my meager mind around the MV material, and at times I did find bits of it very compelling and engaging. However, they ultimately proved to be too Dionysian for my taste. Nevertheless, Jon Theodore was throwing it down with the best of them during his time with them.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Really tried to get my meager mind around the MV material, and at times I did find bits of it very compelling and engaging. However, they ultimately proved to be too Dionysian for my taste. Nevertheless, Jon Theodore was throwing it down with the best of them during his time with them.
I felt the same way towards them for the longest time. You really gotta want to listen to something like them in order to enjoy the content.

That's mainly why I think the band floundered after Theodore left. He kept the wild, free form melodies and instrumental parts grounded. They make sense to me. He's keeping time while being tastefully chaotic. Everyone else after him took the free form chaos and hurled it into outer space with their wild playing. Theodore was the tether that held the band to the ground, but after he left, the band had no grounding.

Last edited:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to see one of their early career shows. They blew me away live. Jon Theodore on drums, Eva Gardner on bass, Ikey Owens on keys. An unbeatable rhythm section, at the time. I never enjoyed their recordings all that much. Definitely a way better live band than recorded band.
I never got to see Mars Volta, but I did get to see At The Drive In a number of times. Those guys were so good live. I can only imaging seeing Mars Volta in person.