The moment of truth (a.k.a. is it damaged or is it ok?)

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ugh, moment of truth time. My wife sent me pics of this package that showed up today. Inside should be a snare drum. Outside does not look promising. I won't know how the drum fared until I get home from work. Fingers crossed! Also, how friggin' hard is it to decently pack a drum for shipment??

IMG_20190523_121408_01.jpg

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is a bad tape job right there. Can’t just put tape across the top seam. Got to tape the right and left top sides heavy to keep the square from collapsing. Looks like a hollow cavity underneath. Conclusion; packer must take 72% of blame.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a bad tape job right there. Can’t just put tape across the top seam. Got to tape the right and left top sides heavy to keep the square from collapsing. Looks like a hollow cavity underneath. Conclusion; packer must take 72% of blame.
Exactly 72% though. No more, no less. There's a science to it.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've received some horrendously packaged stuff and it has somehow made the trip safely. I'm pulling for ya.
True enough. Cymbals floating loosely inside of a pizza box for example. The one damaged drum I remember receiving, the packaging looked more or less ok (way better than the above), but something had impacted the box JUST right and punctured through and damaged the drum. So ya never know...

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
True enough. Cymbals floating loosely inside of a pizza box for example. The one damaged drum I remember receiving, the packaging looked more or less ok (way better than the above), but something had impacted the box JUST right and punctured through and damaged the drum. So ya never know...
A seller here (honestly, an awesome guy with great communication) shipped me a couple of cymbals that he had UPS pack up for him. It was cymbals in a box. Zero padding. They both arrived in great shape, it's incredible. We both had a bit of a laugh at UPS' "packing" job.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tis' only a flesh wound, laddie!

Seriously, the box is too big and this is an amateur hour pack job......they should have collapsed the box and taped extensively......can't wait for the big reveal.......(fingers crossed it's in one piece!).....

Last edited:

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So it would seem just addressing the snare and not putting it in the box may have been a better way to go. Kind of like how the black box always survives the plane crash. Yet they never make the plane out of it. ;)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Bought a cymbal here years ago that was sent in cardboard only folded over the cymbal taped on each side and got to me in perfect shape through USPS. Think I got lucky on that one.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bought a cymbal here years ago that was sent in cardboard only folded over the cymbal taped on each side and got to me in perfect shape through USPS. Think I got lucky on that one.
Had a paiste 22 masters sent in a black bin bag with 4 strips of cardboard on the edge, horrified when it arrived but the cymbal was fine.

Latest posts