The Most Rare Signature Drumsticks Of All Time?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Would the rarest signature drumsticks of all time be of someone super famous — like Bonham or Baker — or would it be of a drummer who is beloved, but not quite a household name?

All I know is when I saw a set
of old stock sticks bearing the signature of Torry Castallano of The Donnas, I had to have them! Donna C!

They are now secured in The Vault. If you guys are nice, I may show you other treasures I have secured there.
F070F60D-B704-46BB-A50C-EFA7D6363701.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bill Bruford long ago had an SD9 Promark in Maple (loved that stick) have a pair. I think his name/sig is on them have to dig them out. I don't see ^ it on that fellas list..yet. That was almost before VF went all wild with Maple I think.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember buying Gretsch Tony Williams signature sticks in the late 70s that were really great, and not like anything else. The Zildjian version was quite different.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember buying Gretsch Tony Williams signature sticks in the late 70s that were really great, and not like anything else. The Zildjian version was quite different.
His Zildjian stick was a direct copy of his Gretsch Tony Williams sticks (made by Capella). It was a Capella 2B.

Tony handed me the pair of Gretsch TW sticks he used at the 1990 MD Festival and we used those to develop the tooling for his Zildjian Tony Williams sticks. He said something to the effect, "If you can copy these, I'll play your sticks." I sent Tony prototypes for approval in November or December of 1990, and he approved the first version. He was the first signature drumstick artist I signed, and we introduced his stick at NAMM in January 1991.

I don't know what happened to his Gretsch sticks. For all I know, someone at the stick factory in Alabama tossed them. Wish I'd held on to them...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've got a pair of vintage Elvin Gretsch signature sticks, and a modern (Promark?) pair actually owned & played by Elvin (thanks to Donn B.!)......

As for Bruford, I used to play that little sig model.......wondering what's so special about it? I kept blowing thru them due to the soft maple so I switched.

pgm554

Reaction score
I remember one of our roadies coming up to me after a show asking me to sign a stick that I had broken at the gig(Ludwig Ed Shaughnessy signature) .

6 months later at a gas station I saw him and he pulled the stick out to show me he still had it.

Fame is a funny thing.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
His Zildjian stick was a direct copy of his Gretsch Tony Williams sticks (made by Capella). It was a Capella 2B.
To me, the Gretsch/Capella version had a thinner neck, just before the tip. It was so thin that it regularly broke right there. Regardless, it felt great before it broke. :p

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I have a well used pair of Regal Tip Jake Hanna Signature Jazz sticks with nylon tips that are around 40+ years old. Funky stick with a taper from the balance point to the butt of the stick. I don't break sticks, I just wear the wood tips down to the width of the neck. I guess since these were nylon tips, they never wore down.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to write my name on my sticks at NAMM, as having a stick there to try things out is like having a backstage pass.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Would the rarest signature drumsticks of all time be of someone super famous — like Bonham or Baker — or would it be of a drummer who is beloved, but not quite a household name?

All I know is when I saw a set
of old stock sticks bearing the signature of Torry Castallano of The Donnas, I had to have them! Donna C!

They are now secured in The Vault. If you guys are nice, I may show you other treasures I have secured there.
View attachment 448684
What size/model are those?

Reaction score

Tony handed me the pair of Gretsch TW sticks he used at the 1990 MD Festival and we used those to develop the tooling for his Zildjian Tony Williams sticks. He said something to the effect, "If you can copy these, I'll play your sticks." I sent Tony prototypes for approval in November or December of 1990, and he approved the first version. He was the first signature drumstick artist I signed, and we introduced his stick at NAMM in January 1991.

I don't know what happened to his Gretsch sticks. For all I know, someone at the stick factory in Alabama tossed them. Wish I'd held on to them...
I have a pair of the Gretsch Tony Williams sticks that Tony gave to me (from his stick bag) at a session that he invited me to. I wish I had asked him sign a drum head for me. I'll have to live with the sticks and the memories!

MSG

Latest posts