The Motian in Motion doc is out

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. I just ordered a copy on Blu-Ray from Amazon that will arrive on Monday the 22nd (November). The DVD format will be available on December 10.

Gave me an excuse to grab this while I was at it:

marc3k

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Just watched it - awesome film!

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
My treat to myself over the Thanksgiving holiday. Motian has to be the most misunderstood of jazz drummers. I get so exhausted trying to explain. Just listen man! Just listen.

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
I'm mainly referring to his post Evans period. The stuff that takes effort to deconstruct and comprehend. Here's something in between with plenty of atmosphere and a clear example of how he paints colors and "emotian" on the drums.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1:51 in the Vimeo preview above is most concise easiest to state explain I've ever heard

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool... just my kind of thing. I usually wait for this kind of thing to find it's way to one of the services that I'm already paying for. $1.99 though is reasonable enough, so I'll just rent the thing...

As for Motain's style, I always thought that it was as if he was some kind of skilled, realistic type painter when he was with Bill Evans and then after that he had some kind of epiphany and decided that he was going to throw away most of the conventional technique he had learned and challenge himself to be be a painter of abstraction. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff that he did with Evans, but I'm struck by how he seemed to so radically change his style after that. One of my favorite drummers to listen to and I find that his very expressive, non-lick type approach to be really refreshing to hear after so many drummers and that are so much about the licks...

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
On a semi-related note, Motian passed away ten years ago today. That sad fact popped up in my FB Memories feed because I made note of it in 2011 when it occurred.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m watching it now on YouTube for 1.99. Some great shots of his ride cymbal at about 50 min. It looks like a 22”scdr. There’s a crack in it and it wobbles a lot!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
My Blu-Ray arrived yesterday and I watched it last night. Definitely a worthwhile purchase if you are a Motian fan. There were so many things that I learned about the man and his music, and among them some lessons. First, when he is on the road he does not bring drums or cymbals - he plays whatever is available. That's refreshing. Second, he thinks in terms of music, not genre. He has not shied away from rock or anything else. To him it's an opportunity to play. Finally, I was floored to discover that he was one of the performers at Woodstock 1969 (he backed Arlo Guthrie with whom he performed during the 1968-1969 time frame.) Needless to say, his personality is larger than life and adds to pleasure of watching the "documentary."

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
can see him walking behind /beside/with Arlo..

0:27- 0:34

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the craziest was the impromptu sub sit-in for (an ailing) Ed Blackwell in 86 in Austria with New and Old Dreams.
Absorb that one.
gotta take an hour to absorb that one:

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just saw it... cool film. My only complaint with it was that I wish thery had spent more time with the live footage. All of that stuff is pretty quick cuts. I kind of feel that these days since most folks are watching at home, that with ddocumentaries, they ought to really stuff them with more information and in the case of music dos more performance footage, because since we call just hit the pause button, it doesn't really matter how long a film runs...

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
one of the craziest was the impromptu sub sit-in for (an ailing) Ed Blackwell in 86 in Austria with New and Old Dreams.
Absorb that one.
gotta take an hour to absorb that one:

Thanks for posting that. I just listened to most of it (will go back and hear the rest later... and probably listen again!) and it's a really fine performance. The recording quality is good too, though maybe not quite up to the standards of the usual ECM thing. Motian sounds very different on this than Blackwell but still manages to nail the vibe perfectly. I like the cross stick type patterns that he played on Lonely Woman, which are the kind of thing that I don't think that it would occur to most drummers playing this tune...

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OCD72 (Boston Drum Center) turned me on to that years ago and sent a burned CD of it; later it took forever to hunt it down on the internet