The Musical Box -Genesis covered to the nth degree!

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Caught this act from Montreal at the Calvin in Northampton, MA last saturday. If you like the early Genesis stuff these guys will blow your socks off! Even Peter Gabriel said this band is who he would take his Grandkids to see, to show them what Grandpa used to do! He even further endorsed the band's success by giving them the original costumes and stage projection cells. The drummer was playing a mixed, round badge/square badge vintage Gretsch kit in white with Rogers hardware that sounded just phenomenal! Catch them if you can - a very talented group of Quebecois!

&list=RDQmXDL3Ko_0g#t=3

Last edited by a moderator:

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Ive heard that Phil Collins also endorses them, and has sat in with them on occasion.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is really impressive - they not only sound very good, it really does look as if you are watching archival footage. I didn't know about the original costumes, either. I'd love to see them live at some point!

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mendozart said:
Ive heard that Phil Collins also endorses them, and has sat in with them on occasion.
They've had quite a few drummers over the years and they've all shined, Greg. That would be something to see Phil behind the kit with them... they'd probably insist he grow a beard and wear a wig! LOL!

I've been told that so closely do they reproduce the sound and the stage act, they even go as far as adding in the glibs and mistakes that actually occurred during the live performance

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen them several times since I have always been a huge Genesis fan. The first time I saw them they had Martin Levac on drums. He was truly amazing and even looked a little bit like Phil. I approached him after the show and I told him that "he does Phil Collins better than Phil Collins does Phil Collins"!

This is an amazing tribute band and if you love Genesis you need to go see them. Rather than performing a "best of" career retrospective, greatest hits package, they choose a certain point in time and they create the tour from that time using the lighting, staging, and instruments that are specific for that tour. The attention to detail and the performances are excellent. They are probably performing these shows better in some circumstances then Genesis themselves would have performed them, because they have been reliving those points in time for many, many years now and have had the time to perfect everything.

prplx

Reaction score
Agreed Martin Levac was amazing with them. He played and looked like Collins, left handed and all. Then he gets up and sings one of the songs Collins sang with the exact same voice (I think it was For Absent Friends) and my jaw just dropped.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have seen them twice with my son.....whom commented he thought he was watching classic youtube videos !!
FYI, we have seen Peter solo first four rows for his last couple tours !! Does not hurt to see Steve Hackett with his last couple tours.....amazing shows !! :)

Vanhalen1984

Reaction score

With Phil Sitting In.

Last edited by a moderator:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Was great to see them with my pops. Would love to see SH too.

And the real deal was very nice too in 2007 during the Turn It On Again tour.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Wow these guys are awesome. Had never heard of them. Very authentic look too.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Absolutely love the original band.

I totally appreciate The Musical Box's dedication to keeping the set lists authentic to specific tours, but I think how even more special the experience of seeing them would be, if the one area in which their authenticity strayed was with the set lists.

Imagine taking their same faithfulness to song arrangements, performance, lighting, etc. and applying it to songs which were rarely, if ever, played live. Suddenly you would have, not only the opportunity to see the famed concerts of the past, but also (as closely as possible) the concerts that never were.

I'm thinking of Harold the Barrel, Seven Stones, Can Utility, Mad Man Moon, Cul de Sac, etc. But, barring any of that, I'd at least take a faithful rendition of the "Upstairs at Ronnie Scott's" shows :)

I wonder if TMB takes requests...