The Myth of the Deep Bass Drum

felis

Reaction score
What's the myth?

Simply that deeper sounds better, or what?

Anyways - 14" is the correct depth. ;)

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
100% agree! I won't buy a kit with a bass drum that's more than 16" depth (OK, my 24 is a 17" depth, but that's Yamaha's in-between sizing). I do not need that excess depth, just takes up more space in my car. I don't like ridiculously shallow BDs, though. I like 20x14s, 22x16s, pretty standard stuff.
I have a Yamaha 17x20 and I wish it was a 14". Honestly, I see no reason for more than 14". I do however, think there's a reasonable limit on how thin you can do. The DW pancake BD is 2.5x20 and every review I've seen, people say it's highly unstable. I've seen similar comments about the C&C 8x20 Super Flyer being unstable. I'm thinking somewhere around 10" or 12" is the sweet spot for depth, like on the Tama Neo-Mod kit. I dunno, there's a ton of different opinions on this. Do what works for you.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The myth that one size is more righteous than another assumes that we all want the same kick sound.
My rules apply to my kits and I have no opinion on what others should play, none of my business.

That is true however when the industry has decided that deep bass drums is all they are going to make then it becomes an issue for those of us who don't want deep bass drums.

There is a lot more choice than there was a few years ago but it is still harder to get a 14" deep bass drum than a 16" or 18". Especially on lower end drums. You can get what you want on the high end drums from the major drum companies now if you have the coin for it but if you are looking at a budget kit it is much harder. Good luck getting a Gretsch Renown or Catalina maple kick with a 14" depth unless you want an 18" or 24" bass drum. You would have to go up to the Pearl Session Studio Select to start seeing 14" deep bass drums. With Mapex you have to go all the way to the Saturn V to be able to get a 20" or 24" in a 14" depth. PDP Performance series is what you will have to buy if you want any 14" deep bass drum.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you like 2" deep bass drums? Then that's what you should buy.

Do you like 24" deep bass drums with woofers? Then buy it!

Do you like playing luggage instead of a real instrument? Go for it!

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
When I'm perusing kits, I immediately eliminate anything w/ an 18" deep B.D. They sound like crap and play like you stepped in a pile.

mpungercar

Reaction score
When I'm perusing kits, I immediately eliminate anything w/ an 18" deep B.D. They sound like crap and play like you stepped in a pile.
Interesting. I won't play any BD that's not exactly 15 and 9/16 inches deep, because they sound like crap. Oh, and they also have to be 23" inches in diameter as well. Anything other than a 23 x 15 and 9/16 bass drum sounds like complete crap.

;)

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
That is true however when the industry has decided that deep bass drums is all they are going to make then it becomes an issue for those of us who don't want deep bass drums.

There is a lot more choice than there was a few years ago but it is still harder to get a 14" deep bass drum than a 16" or 18". Especially on lower end drums. You can get what you want on the high end drums from the major drum companies now if you have the coin for it but if you are looking at a budget kit it is much harder. Good luck getting a Gretsch Renown or Catalina maple kick with a 14" depth unless you want an 18" or 24" bass drum. You would have to go up to the Pearl Session Studio Select to start seeing 14" deep bass drums. With Mapex you have to go all the way to the Saturn V to be able to get a 20" or 24" in a 14" depth. PDP Performance series is what you will have to buy if you want any 14" deep bass drum.
I see, and yeah, that sucks. Looks like someone would see that marketing niche but what do I know.

cafunko

Reaction score
I’m going to have to throw a flag on this one.....

“If I could.....”

if? IF??? He could?

Don’t understand why Simon Pbillips could not have a 13.25” depth bass drum if he wanted it.

Kinda like poking yourself in the eye with a stick. Why? Why would you do such a thing?

(Just tell Tama-yo, I ain’t playing these beer can bass drums-CUT THEM DOWN NOW! tom holder be damned!)

He explains in that video that he cant get his larger rack toms in a comfortable playing position with the shell mounted tom holders on a 14" deep kick - they end up too close to him for his liking.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Interesting. I won't play any BD that's not exactly 15 and 9/16 inches deep, because they sound like crap. Oh, and they also have to be 23" inches in diameter as well. Anything other than a 23 x 15 and 9/16 bass drum sounds like complete crap.

;)
That's gotta be hard to find heads for that :D

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He explains in that video that he cant get his larger rack toms in a comfortable playing position with the shell mounted tom holders on a 14" deep kick - they end up too close to him for his liking.
Yeah, you can just watch him play and see he likes to reach for things.

I do agree the deeper the shell there is a difference in how the air column is moving between the heads and deeper drums have slower response. It's slight but, depending on how you play, what you are doing with your pedals, note-wise, just a little sluggishness in head response can make a difference.

I made some 20" deep 22's and had to cut them down. The response was just too slow.

The whole concept of making deeper bass drums made sense to go along with power and square toms. I've never seen any solid historical info in why depths were chosen for traditional drum sizes to begin with. Back in the 60's and 70's I always wondered why Premier had those 8x14 toms I'd see in all the pictures of their endorsers, when everybody else had 10x14's.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m going to have to throw a flag on this one.....

“If I could.....”

if? IF??? He could?

Don’t understand why Simon Pbillips could not have a 13.25” depth bass drum if he wanted it.

Kinda like poking yourself in the eye with a stick. Why? Why would you do such a thing?

(Just tell Tama-yo, I ain’t playing these beer can bass drums-CUT THEM DOWN NOW! tom holder be damned!)

And another flag....

I use large tom sizes....used to be normal sizes...

Sooooo.....if years ago we used 14” deep bass drums and years ago his toms were normal sizes.... Why doesn’t the tom holder work on a 14” deep Star bass drum?

(Last) flag....”deep bass drums seem to be in fashion these days.” These days? Like since the early 90s? Lol.... If anything, “These days” the trend seems to be going back towards shallower depth bass drums.

lol
In the video he explains that he wants 14” depth but cannot position the Tom mount where he wants it on a 14”. Makes me wonder why they don’t just rack Mount the toms

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the video he explains that he wants 14” depth but cannot position the Tom mount where he wants it on a 14”. Makes me wonder why they don’t just rack Mount the toms
For one I will stay quiet....for two I will speak up....lol...all in good fun...

Phillips: I had a 14” depth bass drum and I had a 14” tom mounted on it. Now I MUST have a 15” deep bass drum because I can’t fit my 14” tom where I want it.

What changed? (Certainly no real size difference between a 1980\90s bass drum tom mount and the one on a modern Tama bass drum). But we now have isolation mounts that push the tom mount out from the shell an inch. I will give you that. It may make a difference with a larger tom.

But if you *really* want that 14” depth there are about three really good ways to solve the problem, from hard mounting toms, to cymbal stand mounting, to a rack.

My point? If Simon wanted that 14” depth bass drum he could easily have it using an alternative to a bass drum mount...

I don’t have the problem with my set up so it’s not a big deal for me. And certainly Simon has earned the right to go in whatever direction he wants with his set up.

I was just pointing out how I saw the issue.

:)

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In another video, Simon says that even with the 15's, he has to have Tama install the tom mount as far forward as they possibly can.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In another video, Simon says that even with the 15's, he has to have Tama install the tom mount as far forward as they possibly can.
That is a good point....

Honestly, I don’t know how anyone could mount a 14” tom on a 14” depth bass drum-with or without isolation mounts...

One of the reasons I have heard for the oversized bass drums was to accommodate the power toms.

Latest posts