The Myth of the Deep Bass Drum

cplueard

Reaction score
That's gotta be hard to find heads for that :D
DW made a 23" for a bit. You can still get one or two bass drum heads in that size without a special order. Though variety is generally lacking.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear a 23" drum. Probably slightly more punch like a 22" but with the depth of a 24"?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yeah, you can just watch him play and see he likes to reach for things.
Give him a break. The dude could jump out of the bass drum I just posted in the "biggest kit" thread. Seriously, he's not a large guy and he plays kits with big drums and many pieces. The Muse does not always consider our frame when deciding preferences and whims.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why doesn’t the tom holder work on a 14” deep Star bass drum?
You know what's very odd? Tama doesn't even install bass drum mounted tom holders on Star drums. They think the shells are too thin. I guess they put in some reinforcement for Simon's drums.
But you're right; I think the Star tom mount would work on a 14", because of the way it's designed. The part that holds the L arm can swivel away from the drummer, thus positioning the tom further.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure Simon is getting all hot under the collar because a bunch of amatuers are questioning his motives on his choice of bass drum depth. :rolleyes:
Forums are like that.... You just don’t know if the conversation is an inquisition with a room full of prosecutors or a chat in a local pub with bellies full of ale, laughter and hearty well-intentioned slaps on the back.....

Much better for one’s mental health if you take it as the latter rather than the former.

I’m pretty sure Simon himself would accept the light ball busting going on in this thread with a smile....

“You’re a PRO Simon! Surely YOU can figure this out!

Lol

Friendly reminder: thread started as a name-dropping validation for 14” bass drum depths. “A-HAH! SEE! Simon says 14” is the BEST! Lol

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Simon says!

But seriously. There's a scientific way to determine the truth of this: The speed of sound is 13500 inches/second. According to Simon, the extra 2" or 4" just takes too much longer. Conclusion: Size matters? Or, maybe if the sound doesn't matter, choose what looks the best, or is the most functionally-appropriate?

Last edited:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There may just be an elephant in the room on this issue.

Back in the days when the first drum makers began building their kits, (and brands), they all seemed to come up with the same size drums. Why?...maybe because these sizes sounded the best? We are talking about the innovators...they had every option to make them any size they wanted and yet there was a definite commonality in the sizes, and depths that they independantly came up with.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
There may just be an elephant in the room on this issue.

Back in the days when the first drum makers began building their kits, (and brands), they all seemed to come up with the same size drums. Why?...maybe because these sizes sounded the best? We are talking about the innovators...they had every option to make them any size they wanted and yet there was a definite commonality in the sizes, and depths that they independantly came up with.
They were also mounted on flimsy mounting hardware that allowed the drums to move around when struck, thus allowed for more vibration rather than 1/2" L arms or 7/8" pipe mounts.

Whether by accident or by design, there were things that they did in the old days that still hold validity regardless of what marketing trends the current manufacturers are currently pushing.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I almost did not buy my Ayotte kit because of the 24x18 bass drum. But it was a good deal in a color I loved and it was a virgin bass drum. Absolutely love that drum. My favorite bass drum of all time was a Ludwig Classic Maple in 26x16 and my current other bass drum is a Jenkins Martin in 24x15. Love that drum as well. (now if they would just do a 26 ; ) )

I think some of it comes down to if you play mic'd up or not. We play smaller places and mostly never have drum mics. There are some cool extra tones I can get out of that Ayotte. Is it all the depth? Probably not but I don't mind them.

We all have our thing. I could not find a sound I liked with the 26x14 Yamaha Recording Custom I had and many people rave about those. At my level, it it puts a smile on my face I will play it.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They were also mounted on flimsy mounting hardware that allowed the drums to move around when struck, thus allowed for more vibration rather than 1/2" L arms or 7/8" pipe mounts.

Whether by accident or by design, there were things that they did in the old days that still hold validity regardless of what marketing trends the current manufacturers are currently pushing.
Maybe "light" would be a better word than "flimsy", but I fully agree that the hardware allowed more resonance without complex isolation mount systems.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in the days when the first drum makers began building their kits, (and brands), they all seemed to come up with the same size drums. Why?
My understanding was that 14" was the standard width of a marching bass drum.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in the aughts, I played some 18” deep bass drums. Always sounded fine to me. I’m just old enough to prefer the look of 14” deep bass drums, so that’s what I gravitate to.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Ok... every one.. class.. CLASS... CLASS.. CLASS

Got every ones' attention.

I read long time ago must a been an early MD..

The 9x13 Gene Krupa " where did that "size" come from"?

Some one said " Hat Boxes"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hat Boxes? Hat Boxes HAT Boxes?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think there's some truth in it
"wooden hat boxes made to put hats in back in the 20's and 30's "

:

Carry on..

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok... every one.. class.. CLASS... CLASS.. CLASS

Got every ones' attention.

I read long time ago must a been an early MD..

The 9x13 Gene Krupa " where did that "size" from"?

Some one said " Hat Boxes"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hat Boxes? Hat Boxes HAT Boxes?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think there's some truth in it
"wooden hat boxes made to put hats in back in the 20's and 30's "

:

Carry on..
Thank you Sister Mary Elephant!

Reactions: JDA