The Myth of the Deep Bass Drum

KevinD

Reaction score
For sure it is "to each, his own" with gear choice.
To me, playing/sound wise, the deep BDs I've played sounded good, but there is definitely a different feel..(they were all backline, or studio rehearsal kits). It could have been tuning, or some other factor but I noticed that the beer can bass drums seemed to have a slower response, the "feedback" was different. Nothing major that I could not adjust to if I had the time, but still noticeable.

As a matter of practicality, I would imagine the extra size could be an issue for transport, getting a 20" deep BD into the back seat of a 2 dr couple could be a pain. And if you and the rest of your band are traveling together, every bit of space counts.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Ok... every one.. class.. CLASS... CLASS.. CLASS

Got every ones' attention.

I read long time ago must a been an early MD..

The 9x13 Gene Krupa " where did that "size" come from"?

Some one said " Hat Boxes"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hat Boxes? Hat Boxes HAT Boxes?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think there's some truth in it
"wooden hat boxes made to put hats in back in the 20's and 30's "

:

Carry on..
I've heard variations of the story of how the drums in Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue" were recorded, but one of those stories was that Jerry Allison playing those paradiddles on a hat box. He's also said it was a cardboard box, but either way they rode the fader for the reverb to get that "on/off" sound.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Every inch count! I am talking about shallow stages of course.
I've mentioned it before, but there's one place we play where if my bass drum were any longer people would literally trip over it waiting in line for the bathroom, and if I'm not careful setting up, they have tripped over my cymbal stand leg. The bar even has shirts that say it's the biggest little stage in old town Scottsdale. Most places we play it's not as critical, at least down to that little of a difference.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Getting back to the sound difference: I think the "speed" of sound is neglegible. There are slow sounding shells, but this is due to material. With different depths, it's rather a difference in dynamic response: deeper drums only speak beyond a certain volume threshold. A 14" deep drum will react more easily than an 18" deep one. However, at high volume you'll get a deeper sound with a deep drum, so it's a trade-off. You can't have it all in one drum.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Give him a break. The dude could jump out of the bass drum I just posted in the "biggest kit" thread. Seriously, he's not a large guy and he plays kits with big drums and many pieces. The Muse does not always consider our frame when deciding preferences and whims.
I meant absolutely no disrespect to Phillips. Some players like to reach for things, some like things tight and close. Just personal preference. I doubt Simon's physical stature (5'6") has much to do with his placement of instruments. He just likes things up and away.