The new Gene Krupa Quartet

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On Verve records. Has anyone listened to this album? A lot of people assumed Gene did not read charts, but this album clearly challenges that. There are serious arrangements, signatures, etc going on here. I don't see how anyone could play these songs and NOT read charts!

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On Verve records. Has anyone listened to this album? A lot of people assumed Gene did not read charts, but this album clearly challenges that. There are serious arrangements, signatures, etc going on here. I don't see how anyone could play these songs and NOT read charts!
Have you heard of a drummer named Buddy Rich?

NewBeat

Reaction score
There's a scene in the Gene Krupa story where they go out of their way to point out the Gene had learned to read music, so I assume he eventually learned (or else it's Hollywood fluff).

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recall that. If he wanted to continue to work he HAD to learn basic reading, and whats so amazing about this album, its a 4 pc band not a 40 pc. Reminds me a lot of Brubeck,s early stuff. A lot of discipline in this band, give it a listen, if you can find it.....And yes, I,ve heard of this fellow Bud Rich. I hear he was pretty good.