header.nohb.html

The "New" Rogers Drums

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
CBS bought Rogers in the mid 1960s. Around the same time they bought Fender.

I think that was when they moved production from Covington Ohio to Dayton Ohio them 4-5 years later production to Fullerton Ca.

sternerp

Reaction score
Dave Clark?
The first rock show I ever saw was the Dave Clark 5. I was 11 (1965) and won the tickets by selling subscriptions to the Palo Alto Times (California). He had colored lights in the drums and I thought it was very cool!

This is my program from that concert.
image.jpg

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DC5 was also an early influence... before drums I wanted to play sax cuz the DC5 had a sax player... saw 'em on Sullivan!

What I saw was possibly their premier appearance.. performing "GLAD ALL OVER" in 1964. You can see it on Youtube. Dave is kinda flailing away at the drums. I think he was related to Mickey Dolenz.

The DC5 were on Sullivan eight (!) times.

Dave had a totally weird Rogers set-up. I think the set started off as a standard 20-13-16 set with the swivo arm for the 13 mounted off to the left (standard position), then Dave had another swivo added in the center and much closer to the batter head where he put the 12" tom. How odd... why didn't he just swap out the 12 and 13? He was a pretty primitive player.

So he had a left side 13" tom and a right side 12". Kinda pre-Kenny Aronoff.

I think it is the same kit in all three pics, just colorized wrong in pic #1

unnamed.jpg
the-dave-clark-five-music-group-circa-1964-jrc-the-hollywood-archive-all-rights-reserved-file-...jpg
021320_DAVE_CLARK-LEANING_ON_DRUM_SET-COURTESY_BMG.jpg

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
DC5 was also an early influence... before drums I wanted to play sax cuz the DC5 had a sax player... saw 'em on Sullivan!

What I saw was possibly their premier appearance.. performing "GLAD ALL OVER" in 1964. They were on Sullivan eight (!) times.

Dave had a totally weird Rogers set-up. I think the 20" bass drum a single swivo in the center, plus a second swivo arm mounted to the left (from the drummer's perspective)... opposite of where the ride would be.

He then had a left side 13" tom and a right side 12". Kinda pre-Kenny Aronoff.

View attachment 535470 View attachment 535471 View attachment 535472
I've forgotten who has it now,its been a while, that kit's still around.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

What I saw was possibly their premier appearance.. performing "GLAD ALL OVER" in 1964. You can see it on Youtube. Dave is kinda flailing away at the drums. I think he was related to Mickey Dolenz.

The DC5 were on Sullivan eight (!) times.

Dave had a totally weird Rogers set-up. I think the set started off as a standard 20-13-16 set with the swivo arm for the 13 mounted off to the left (standard position), then Dave had another swivo added in the center and much closer to the batter head where he put the 12" tom. How odd... why didn't he just swap out the 12 and 13? He was a pretty primitive player.

So he had a left side 13" tom and a right side 12". Kinda pre-Kenny Aronoff.

I think it is the same kit in all three pics, just colorized wrong in pic #1

View attachment 535470 View attachment 535471 View attachment 535472
It seems every video clip of the DC5 is them lipsyncing

Last edited:

DrumTransit

Reaction score
The Dyno-matic pedal referenced above is $210 from Sweetwater. Really? Just for some weird nostalgia trip?
I just picked up a TAMA IRON COBRA 200 for $40... it is the best pedal I have ever owned. 'Nuff said.
It's funny you mention the IC 200, because when I was trying out the Rogers pedal, it felt a lot like the Tama HP20 pedal I once had (and that was a great pedal for the price). I figured if I want to have a light-feeling pedal like that, instead of the Rogers, I'd just go get a HP20 or HP30 for 1/8 the price.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that was when they moved production from Covington Ohio to Dayton Ohio them 4-5 years later production to Fullerton Ca.
Yes.
The buyout also contributed to the loss of their top endorser. Buddy Rich assumed that CBS would offer him a recording contract with Columbia Records. When they declined he got mad (Buddy mad?) and left Rogers. Or at least that's one story connected to the CBS buyout. Rob Cook's Rogers book documents a lot of the mismanagement inflicted on the Rogers brand by CBS that led to their eventual demise.

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or played the new Rogers drums in a drum store - anywhere? Not just the snare - a complete set.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it’s beating a dead horse. Kids today have very little knowledge of Rogers. It’s us older ones who remember and we are buying the old stuff to fulfill our tastes. The only company I know who could possible make a go of it would be DW but they also have their hands full with Slingerland which who knows what will happen there. An old iconic brand trying to be resurrected for a different world. Had they stayed alive like Ludwig and Gretsch then maybe. They didn’t. And it’s uphill from here.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm curious as well... Regardless of the fact that some clean golden era Rogers are still out there for about mid-level kit money. I've just bought an amazing kit from another resurected brand (french company Asba) and who cares if not a lot of people remembers them? Good drums are good drums...

And if the folks who've bought Rogers can get some good drums out there, power to them. I'm getting skittish about bringing my old Holidays on the road and a newer Rogers set might just do. Who knows? Maybe if they sound ok and are priced right, one set might bump its way into my kit lineup.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as well... Regardless of the fact that some clean golden era Rogers ate still out there for about mid-level kit money. I've just bought an amazing kit from another resurected brand (french company Asba) and who cares if not a lot of people remembers them? Good drums are good drums...

And if the folks who've bought Rogers can get some good drums out there, power to them. I'm getting skittish about bringing my old Holidays on the road and a newer Rogers set might just do. Who knows? Maybe if they sound ok and are priced right, one set might bump its way into my kit lineup.
Well, Bill Detamore thinks they do.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, Bill Detamore thinks they do.
Well Detamore knows how to make drums that sound good. I thought their first effort looked promising. Unfortunately, not one set made its way into a shop near me (despite 3 of those shops having the new dynas in stock). Pricing was a little bit loonie on the Covingtons, but apparently that new series are gonna be a little more reasonable. Maybe one shop will take a chance in stocking at least 1 kit so I can try it in person.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes you can get a great used vintage kit for less than half the price of new......

Yes, Indeed. This '64 one owner blue ripple kit with cob dyna was on Reverb in the past year - 3 piece - 12, 14, 20 for $2200.
To me a better deal than the new ones.....in a finish they don't even offer. Ironically, I ended up buying everything in that photo....EXCEPT the 3 blue ripples....DOH!

Rogers 1964 blue ripple 1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s funny how Fender had such a bad period in the mid 70s under CBS while Rogers seemed to chug right along. Or am I reading people’s reactions to 70s Rogers wrong?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s funny how Fender had such a bad period in the mid 70s under CBS while Rogers seemed to chug right along. Or am I reading people’s reactions to 70s Rogers wrong?

There were plenty of missteps with Rogers after the CBS takeover: cast instead of machined collets, cheaping out on metal materials, the Big R period, Wildwoods, and many other weird things happened with Rogers under the CBS era. But the instruments were not as radically changed in the beginning visually like they were at Fender. The gigantic headstocks were changed almost immediately after Fender was taken over. A smaller back plate with three screws must have saved a lot of money LOL Then buying a zillion 1 Meg pots because it was cheaper! I think they still had 1 Meg pots left over when the employees bought Fender back! Every change at both companies were made for two reasons: lowering production costs and making the brands more visible on TV. I also think it took longer for Rogers because there was so much left over from the Ohio period that it didn’t make sense to make such radical changes at first. If I understand correctly, Rogers didn’t churn out instruments like Fender did at the time.