The Nylon vs. wood debate!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know this has come up before but usually the discussion is about the sound differences. So I've been playing with wood tips, Promark hickory 5A's & 5B's are my favorites. I bought some nylon tip 5b's to experiment and what I noticed is that yes the sound is brighter but my new clear heads are getting white nick marks. Anybody experience this, is this normal?

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very normal, and one of the reasons I’ve not been a nylon fan, along with the IMHO shrill near-field highs on cymbals. I also am annoyed at quickly-chipping wood tips, though, and their lack of projection. Los Cabos Red Hickory has been the best of both worlds for me.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use nylon tipped sticks...................specifically, Vic Firth 3AN.
Clear heads will not look new for long - that is one downside.
I use the nylon tip because it makes my ride cymbal sound gorgeous...................wood cannot do that.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very normal, and one of the reasons I’ve not been a nylon fan, along with the IMHO shrill near-field highs on cymbals. I also am annoyed at quickly-chipping wood tips, though, and their lack of projection. Los Cabos Red Hickory has been the best of both worlds for me.
Well I guess it's time to order some Los Cabos sticks. I've heard nothing but good things about them but haven't tried them yet. It's hard for me to part with Promark. I've been using them forever and they feel right. Ive gone to the store with an open mind and have tried Vic Firth, Vater & Regal tip but in the end, i buy Promark. Nobody here sells Los Cabos so I would have to order them online. I hope Los Cabos feels the same. I will put an order tonight for one pair and see how it goes.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was a nylon tip guy back in my metal days. My ear prefers the sound of wood tips, especially on ride cymbals. I can pull different sounds out of my ride just switching between 5A's and 5B's.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
To me, if I hear a jazz or big band drummer using wood tips, the ride cymbal has a more organic (I know, overused term) sound that just seems right. For rock, the ping of nylon seems just fine.

nk126

Reaction score
I much prefer the sound of wood tips, but long ago grew super frustrated with how quickly they chipped (blame my technique for at least some of that). I found the Regal Tip E-Series, which uses slotted nylon tips that aim to bridge the gap -- more durable than wood but less plastic-to-cymbal contact for a woodier sound. I like them well enough. Not a true wood sound, but much closer to my ear than full nylon, and they're WAY more durable than wood tips.

I use the "Jazz" model and they hold up really well for me.

http://www.regaltip.com/products/drum-sticks/e-series

That said, curious about these Los Cabos sticks now!

Zalloy

Reaction score
I play rock/metal and prefer wood tip. just feels better. might not have the bright cut of nylon but I like that.

marks on my heads don't bother me much... don't like dings though.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always use wood tips, acorn style. Really like the standard Regal Tip Jazz.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Promark SD1 with the ball wood tip has served me well since I don't like the super high ping from nylon tips. Though, I need to find a model that has the same length (longer than most sticks) but with an acorn tip.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Besides marking up cymbals and heads, I just don't like the sound of nylon tips on cymbals. Wood for me.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I much prefer the sound of wood tips, but long ago grew super frustrated with how quickly they chipped (blame my technique for at least some of that). I found the Regal Tip E-Series, which uses slotted nylon tips that aim to bridge the gap -- more durable than wood but less plastic-to-cymbal contact for a woodier sound. I like them well enough. Not a true wood sound, but much closer to my ear than full nylon, and they're WAY more durable than wood tips.

I’ve heard the supplier for the E-series tips was producing too many rejects, so they’re accordingly hard to order unless you can find old stock. That was a little while ago, maybe Regal Tip has found a better supplier since then. It would be hard for me to ever order from RT again following my last very bad customer service experiences, however.

Saugus18

Reaction score
I'll play Vic Firth wood or nylon but prefer nylon tips. The only reason being the nylon gives me that bright, crisp definitive ping on the ride. Also hate when a wood tip will partially break off leaving a flat spot. Especially when the rest of the stick still had a lot of life left in it.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
OK, so this will show my age, but...I stopped using nylon-tipped sticks (Regal-Tip at the time) when I got tired of the nylon tip flying off the stick. That was basically when I began using the butt side to play. So, poor design and/or QC led me down that perilous path. Now I play wood tip, but also tire of the chips and flat spots.
Do the nylon tips stay on these days?

Saugus18

Reaction score
OK, so this will show my age, but...I stopped using nylon-tipped sticks (Regal-Tip at the time) when I got tired of the nylon tip flying off the stick. That was basically when I began using the butt side to play. So, poor design and/or QC led me down that perilous path. Now I play wood tip, but also tire of the chips and flat spots.
Do the nylon tips stay on these days?
Ive found that with top brand sticks, the nylon tips stay on. Never had one come off using Vic Firth sticks. However, once I got whole box of cheap no name nylon tip sticks, worst thing I ever did. About 50% of the tips broke off, sometimes almost right away. Learned my lesson! But you should be ok with the bigger name brands.

nk126

Reaction score
I’ve heard the supplier for the E-series tips was producing too many rejects, so they’re accordingly hard to order unless you can find old stock. That was a little while ago, maybe Regal Tip has found a better supplier since then. It would be hard for me to ever order from RT again following my last very bad customer service experiences, however.
Yes - They definitely were harder to find last time I ordered. I think I first came across them in a store. This last time I had to hunt around online to find somewhere that actually had them in stock, and when I did I ordered a whole bunch. Wasn't direct from RT - a reseller, can't remember who.

What you say about the supplier would explain it. I may well have bought old stock without knowing it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I tried out the Regal tips at a store and the sticks felt great. That super lacquer finish that they have is awesome. The only issue I saw was that they felt heavier and thicker than equally sized Promarks. I couldn't get passed that. They felt like I was holding logs in my hands.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do a lot of low volume burn gigs. One night a sax player standing next to me said he couldn't hear my ride cymbal. That surprised me, as I don't phone it in, and the cymbal wasn't terribly washy.

Afterwards I noticed that the tips on many of my favorite sticks had worn down over time. I was tired of buying replacement sticks just because the tips have worn a bit, so I bought a few pairs of Regal Jake Hanna nylon tipped sticks and have not looked back. No one can tell the difference out in the house and I get just enough articulation. The sound of the kit and cymbals sounds the same on gig recordings, although with a tad more definition, and no tips have yet flown off.

Last edited:

Latest posts