The obsession with the gear of legendary players

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
eff that - give me a Sensitone 10 times out of 10. The drum of the people.
Sure. It's a great drum. I have one too.
I just think it's quite funny how there's no love to vintage Pearls, and the only one that gets attention, gets trashed here. The Copeland and it's 6,5" version are fantastic snares! I have them both, and I think I have under 300$ invested in them. Bargain!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was obsessed with that stuff, I didn't have any money and tried to get the best sound out of it that I could. Later, when I was making good sounds and getting paid for it, I pursued gear to dial in my personal sound at various venues or with different genres. If I had money when I was developing, I could see getting trapped in star gear duplication mode.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am one of those people who buys a certain gear because of his heroes, but I do not buy the items which are advertised with high prices, just the regular stuff.

for me, one word explains it and that’s inspiration. I may want to sound like Ringo, Densmore, Mason, etc. which I probably won’t but just playing on or with that gear definitely gives me inspiration to play better, it’s been proven to me, so I don’t really care if someone tells me otherwise.

I do buy similar gear to what my heroes used but I only have 2 items which were owned by one of my drum heroes and I didn’t pay a high price for them.

Joe Morello’s personal mallets, and his personal Ludwig speed king wooden beater. Every time I play that pedal I am inspired.

With that said, my only drum set is not a copy of a certian drummer’s brand,color, setup. Nor are my cymbals. However, If I hear a cymbal I like on a record, I explore to see what it is and if I can experiment with that gear and sound close to it. The only drum I recently bought because of my heroes is a 60’s supra but guess what, my vintage Premier wooden snare is still my favorite.

funny thing is that I cared less when I was a kid. Maybe because I did not have the money to buy what I cared about so it did not even cross my mind or because I did not know what’s out there and who used what. I did not even know that the badges on my drums were not matching, I was all about playing.

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the fascination with that is! I have never bought any "signature" gear with any artists name plastered all over it. I have drumming influences but they aren't influential enough to make me buy something that has their name on it. Not even my drum configuration is modeled after any other drummer. I've had the same layout as long as I can remember, my own! I like my stuff (all my stuff, not just drum gear) to be unique. I really don't enjoy having things that most other people have. Example: Nothing is more boring than pulling up to a red light and seeing the same car you are driving next to you.

Last edited:

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Sure. It's a great drum. I have one too.
I just think it's quite funny how there's no love to vintage Pearls, and the only one that gets attention, gets trashed here. The Copeland and it's 6,5" version are fantastic snares! I have them both, and I think I have under 300$ invested in them. Bargain!
Not at all trashing the drum. My ire is for the fanatical.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the obsession is! I have never bought any "signature" gear with any artists name plastered all over it. I have drumming influences but they aren't influential enough to make me buy something that has their name on it. Not even my drum configuration is modeled after any other drummer. I've had the same layout as long as I can remember. I like my stuff (all my stuff, not just drum gear) to be me. I really don't like owning things that other people have. Nothing is more boring than pulling up to a red light and seeing the same car you are driving next to you.
If another bone stock 1982-85 Celica Supra pulled up next to me I'd be stoked.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If another bone stock 1982-85 Celica Supra pulled up next to me I'd be stoked.
I'm sure but it's cool to be the only one that's got it. I'm pretty sure people look at your Supra and say, Wow cool!!
I enjoy seeing other cars like mine by going to a local car club that has like minded people that drive what I drive.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, I do know what Joe Morello used, and his sizes are the antithesis of what I am comfortable playing. But his musicality sends chills whenever I listen (or watch, thanks to YouTube).
I am completely blown away by the fact that the 20" Take Five ride cymbal is a vintage Avedis that you can grab really cheap. I have one myself and a 22" Avedis. Mine are 60's stamps so maybe not quite as 'Cache' as 50's stamps, but I play them all the time, I love them both, I sound nothing like Joe Morello and I don't care. And I paid less money for both of them combined than I did for a recent purchase of a new 20" K Sweet Crash (I like it too)

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure but it's cool to be the only one that's got it. I'm pretty sure people look at your Supra and say, Wow cool!!
I enjoy seeing other cars like mine by going to a local car club that has like minded people that drive what I drive.
Indeed, the road rarity is what would make a red light encounter fun. If I were driving a white late model Camry, seeing another one wouldn't mean anything, but I would probably also have more time to drum or fish or mow instead of doing things like fabricating new resistor coils because new condition parts have been unavailable for ten years. Life is a series of trade-offs.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use to think dropping serious shekel and pesos on the gear-of-one’s-idol thing was kind of dorky and a waste of money until I came across a very, very special vintage Supraphonic.

The guy who sold it to me said it was used by Joe Morello, Mitch Mitchell, John Bonham, Steve Gadd, and—can’t confirm this—supposedly the guy that played the theme to Hawaii Five-O!

Man, if that flaking chrome could talk!

If anybody is selling the hi hats used on Theme from Shaft, Disco Inferno, and and the intro to Barney Miller, hit me up!

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Obesession is one thing, interest in something else.
These days, if you want to make an informed purchase, just to buy an instrument that's right for you, there is a lot of information around, you can listen to sounds, read reviews (and forums). Before, there was practially only what you heard live or on records, reviews in magazines, the info what the endorsers used, maybe some coffee table books.
When I started out studying jazz drums in the late 90s, I knew very little about the instrument, it seemed reasonable to buy gear your heroes played, it just seemed like that was the good stuff. I remember one instance when I recorded myself and realized I didn't really like my own sound. Around that time, I discovered the internet...

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wear Air Jordans and Hanes Just Like Mike, but like others here, I’m totally unimpressed by drum gear endorsed by my favorite drummers.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I for one am utterly fascinated by the gear people play, right down to the sticks. And that goes for all drummers, regardless if I´m interested in their music or not. I just want to know that stuff, don´t ask me why. I love useless information. :)
However, it does not have any effect on my gear choices. I buy what sounds good to me (with me playing it) and makes sense for my musical situation.
Yes, I happen to have two or three signature cymbals but not because I am a fanboy but because they work for me.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have and had some from Pink Floyd, Dennis Chambers, John Engels (that one was fun a 65 Supra for only 150 bucks) Marco Minneman, Jamie Postones, and more.

Not because they were owned by famous owners, but because they are what I need.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
It's funny how people's thoughts on stuff like this can differ. I saw Hal's drums in a traveling museum once and I was very moved by seeing those drums so up close and personal. I know Hal had several different sets and I could tell this was an early 60's set. I just couldn't imagine the amount of records those drums had been on. For me it was really cool. Oddly enough my wife and her parents were with me. My wife saw the set and wondered what the big deal was. She said I can see sets like that in our basement. I couldn't really make her understand. Lol
Donn Bennett used to have Hal’s drums(one of two identical kits) in his shop in WA. I would gaze at it and like you, I would marvel at the hits that came from that kit.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I’m a hear nut, and I am always interested in what my favorite drummers play. Nothing wrong with that. I play the gear that I like, I have a Gadd signature snare that I really like - it’s all good. The gear is made famous by the people who play it, and it’s all there for us to enjoy if we so choose.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In retrospect,the visual impact of Mason playing silver sparkle B/O silver sparkle Ludwigs at Pompeiii may have influenced my decision to acquire the same drums . Besides the Woodstock movie and Ed Sullivan , there weren't many authentic concert videos back when I was tripping on Pink Floyd through the turntable and 8 track medium .

I intuitively understood where Levon was coming from with his wood hooped Ludwig parade drum kit .

Seems the universe was marching to the beat of Ludwigs at one time , and to a certain extent it still is .

Last edited: