header.nohb.html

The Official DFO Random Drum Photo Thread!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The had em going back to the early 60s.

View attachment 580862 View attachment 580863
Well I was pretty sure they made some, just wondering why it is I almost never see them. All the teardrops I've seen were either a variant of pearl or satin flame so they probably haven't sold sparkles in huge numbers. Or at the very least numbers not as big as their american counter parts.

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I was pretty sure they made some, just wondering why it is I almost never see them. All the teardrops I've seen were either a variant of pearl of satin flame so they probably haven't sold sparkles in huge numbers. Or at the very least numbers not as big as their american counter parts.

That’s good observation. Some of the Swinger stuff also had a few but nothing offered from about 75 to 94 until the Designer started the sparkle lacquer like on the ProLites.

Sparkle rot was a real problem with the wrap Sonor used in the 60s. I’ve read it was sourced from Europe so not the same stuff found on US drums. The various colored sparkle wraps would develop black spots in the wrap itself. Some kind of chemical reaction to UV or something. It’s not on the surface, you can’t wipe it off cause the black spots are in the wrap itself. Word got around on this problem and it’s definitely one reason why you dont see many in that finish.

Swinger catalog

F197A860-B3B6-4925-9F6E-7AD96E1CD549.jpeg

The “rot”

4BF8BBE8-A140-4BF8-9A1E-B64AD7C09854.jpeg
556C7CDD-0DFD-44E6-8AD2-555703E2B8A3.jpeg

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty cool!!

I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I really think you are onto something there.

Thank you very much, guys.

The engineer of that recording session said they sounded great in person, but like a glockenspiel they are hard to get into a mix with being piercing hence probably why they are so low in the mix. I had a few other products I created and I actually went all in as a legitimate business trying to create & sell products that were slightly different. Some people liked them, some people bashed them, and some said they were too expensive or a “rip-off”.

I honestly don’t mind the criticism. Like the punk band you listened to, I try to do something different. I don’t feel the need to do the same thing offered by so many others. But when someone says I’m a rip-off that makes me really angry. That implies that I am trying to take advantage of people and when they had no idea what these products costed me it got under my skin. For just the supplies themselves not including any labor from any point in the process or the tools I had to buy exclusively for these products the chimes costed me $160+/each and my Rim Shock (another product I made that I have pictures and a recording of them with that same band) costed me $80/each and that’s what I sold them for. I don’t remember what my shaker I made was. So to say I was ripping people off was down right ignorant.

Ultimately, the R&D is what made it fun. I probably would have been better off doing just prototypes and selling the idea to an established company if they were interested. Nevertheless, I have a ton of parts lying around my work bench collecting dust at this point until I decide to do anything with them.

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I've said it before (maybe even in more than one thread) but Dang those Prolites look awesome.

Is it me or Sonor never were big into sparkles? I've only ever seen a few silver kits and that's about it.
When the Prolites first debuted in 2012 they had some really nice finishes. You could get Red Tribal, Blue Sparkle, Silver Sparkle, Walnut Brown Burst, all in lacquer finishes. Gradually all those finishes became unavailable, absorbed into the SQ2 line only. If you're in the US, you can't get a new Prolite in ANY finish now that they've stopped importing them. There's some NOS kits still out there but they're in pretty lackluster finishes. It's too bad really as they are great sounding kits.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you very much, guys.

The engineer of that recording session said they sounded great in person, but like a glockenspiel they are hard to get into a mix with being piercing hence probably why they are so low in the mix. I had a few other products I created and I actually went all in as a legitimate business trying to create & sell products that were slightly different. Some people liked them, some people bashed them, and some said they were too expensive or a “rip-off”.

I honestly don’t mind the criticism. Like the punk band you listened to, I try to do something different. I don’t feel the need to do the same thing offered by so many others. But when someone says I’m a rip-off that makes me really angry. That implies that I am trying to take advantage of people and when they had no idea what these products costed me it got under my skin. For just the supplies themselves not including any labor from any point in the process or the tools I had to buy exclusively for these products the chimes costed me $160+/each and my Rim Shock (another product I made that I have pictures and a recording of them with that same band) costed me $80/each and that’s what I sold them for. I don’t remember what my shaker I made was. So to say I was ripping people off was down right ignorant.

Ultimately, the R&D is what made it fun. I probably would have been better off doing just prototypes and selling the idea to an established company if they were interested. Nevertheless, I have a ton of parts lying around my work bench collecting dust at this point until I decide to do anything with them.
Ribbon mics work wonders at taming some piercing frequencies and ultra high harmonics. Particularly in cymbals, bells and other metalic implements. I'd have tried something like a Coles 4038 on this and filtered off any remaining offensive frequencies with an old school Pultec-type of EQ.

Anyway, nice handmade contraptions... ;-)

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ribbon mics work wonders at taming some piercing frequencies and ultra high harmonics. Particularly in cymbals, bells and other metalic implements. I'd have tried something like a Coles 4038 on this and filtered off any remaining offensive frequencies with an old school Pultec-type of EQ.

A cheap one

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Thank you. I took the whole business farther than I should've including incorporating it in 2012, having plans design patented, and even having t-shirts made, but I have always been someone who has been about all-in or nothing. Here are the two versions of the Rim Shock, my first product made.. I wish I had some pictures worth showing of the other products. Thanks for allowing me to share.

UoBtOU4s.jpeg

9-3Bk8co.jpeg

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
my vote goes out to , fat drummer , for the nicest drum sets ....
Man, you are too kind! I do like my gear and try to keep it all at a high level of presentation, but I can't even run with the heavy hitters on DFO! We have some SERIOUS gear on this board that I find myself lusting over every day!

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eenie Meenie Miney Moe
Which Japanese Bop Kit Has Got To Go

Just got the Yaiba’s, and I’m comparing them.
Both have their own thing going for them
The Yamaha’s are more than 2 times the price or so
Probably not going to gig them.
The Yaiba’s sound great, and are light weight, so better for gigging.
Probably will keep them both for a year or so more ?

Attachments

• 159FC871-4F10-4A61-AF9E-AD0447664452.jpeg
    159FC871-4F10-4A61-AF9E-AD0447664452.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 27