header.nohb.html

The Official DFO Random Drum Photo Thread!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! The builder let me mix my own sparkle mix, I went just a touch too gold but do love it..
It looks great and it's a one-off color blended by you... Too gold for what ???

Man! being good/meticulous with a paint gun and being able to shoot lacquer and flakes to do all sorts of custom colors would be a dream... That ISN'T in the books for me unfortunately.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
AT FREAKING LAST I got a proper phone that takes proper pics… last one was a messed up LG with a cracked screen and fogged up cam lens. So I took my first pic with this new spiffy IPhone 14 Pro and guess what it was… ;.)
07DB3C49-8EA9-4843-9E1A-93EBDF09EDD5.jpeg

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
AT FREAKING LAST I got a proper phone that takes proper pics… last one was a messed up LG with a cracked screen and fogged up cam lens. So I took my first pic with this new spiffy IPhone 14 Pro and guess what it was… ;.) View attachment 596682
Now THAT'S how you break in a new camera!!!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait .. your brother in law is a drummer as well? I bet family gatherings are a blast, you always have someone to talk shop with!
Yeah! He's one of the good ones, we have much of the same references and musical tastes. He played in some of the same circles as I did for a while and with some of my friends. He just settled down to raise his family but talking drums and music sure beats talking about lawn mowers and such ;-)

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gave my youngest daughter a drumset about 10 years ago. She never had much interest so they were basically stored away. She’s taken them out and started to clean them up and found this. I got a text asking “Dad. What is this?” . I didn't even remember I owned these at one time
View attachment 592397
It's dampening strap, you put one on the head and you do a loop with it, longer the loop, better the dampening is.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I dont think I posted this shot in the random thread, but if I did it needed it again!

View attachment 597783
Beautiful, what wood is it? I should stop at looking at Gary's snares, every time I want to get the same...and I have already 4 from him, 2 Purpleheart, one Walnut and one Beech/mahogany/beech.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL! I do understand that problem for sure. Every time I see a nice, figured board at work I now think, how would that look as a snare? The one in the poc was my first Summit and it's African Mahogany.
Beautiful, what wood is it? I should stop at looking at Gary's snares, every time I want to get the same...and I have already 4 form him, 2 Purpleheart, one Walnut and one Beech/mahogany/beech.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL! I do understand that problem for sure. Every time I see a nice, figured board at work I now think, how would that look as a snare? The one in the poc was my first Summit and it's African Mahogany.
Ha, if I have followed well, your stories, the one you sold to fund another snare (cannot remember which one, a N&C??) that was a bit better before buying the Cherry Peak, right? it's you, right?

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, if I have followed well, your stories, the one you sold to fund another snare (cannot remember which one, a N&C??) that was a bit better before buying the Cherry Peak, right? it's you, right?
Guilty as charged! But it's worse than you even remember! I wound up with two steam bent single ply mahogany snares at the same time, The Summit above and a Tama Star 7X14 DCP model. I actually sold the first Summit to cover the Star (which I still have). The N&C Cherry was bought at a good deal out right from a friend, but I actually sold that one to fund the Cherry Summit! I would call it fine tuning the collection, others would just call me an idiot!

I really LOVED the N&C, it was wonderful, but I already have a couple of 7" deep wood drums and I found the N&C to be a bit of a repeat in the same tuning range. I also was a little nervous about the single nodal (sp?) point brass lugs. I did not like how delicate I felt I had to be on a perfect alignment and these were starting to dig into the shell a bit where previous owners had really cranked them. I know that is silly as thousands of people play them every day with no issues, but I think it was just my way to keep from acknowledging the real reason I bought it.

I just wanted to say I owned one. It was not the optimum tone or size of what I needed in the family and I don't consider myself a collector, so I bought the drum for the wrong reason, just to say I had it. So now I can say I had one, loved it and still sold it. As most of my stuff eventually goes, I just like playing new and different drums!

james_c_marks

Reaction score
EE461B55-839A-45F3-B66F-6D00179635EB.jpeg

1940 Leedy that I recently got in trade from a friend- he purchased it on Reverb.

Does anyone recognize their green speckled monster?

This drum sounds great with an Evans super dry top head and a new 20 strand pure sound strainer.

6 1/2 x 14. 3 ply maple poplar maple

The muffler was removed and someone added a trick throw off

Smells like your Grandpa’s dresser!

Last edited:

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guilty as charged! But it's worse than you even remember! I wound up with two steam bent single ply mahogany snares at the same time, The Summit above and a Tama Star 7X14 DCP model. I actually sold the first Summit to cover the Star (which I still have). The N&C Cherry was bought at a good deal out right from a friend, but I actually sold that one to fund the Cherry Summit! I would call it fine tuning the collection, others would just call me an idiot!

I really LOVED the N&C, it was wonderful, but I already have a couple of 7" deep wood drums and I found the N&C to be a bit of a repeat in the same tuning range. I also was a little nervous about the single nodal (sp?) point brass lugs. I did not like how delicate I felt I had to be on a perfect alignment and these were starting to dig into the shell a bit where previous owners had really cranked them. I know that is silly as thousands of people play them every day with no issues, but I think it was just my way to keep from acknowledging the real reason I bought it.

I just wanted to say I owned one. It was not the optimum tone or size of what I needed in the family and I don't consider myself a collector, so I bought the drum for the wrong reason, just to say I had it. So now I can say I had one, loved it and still sold it. As most of my stuff eventually goes, I just like playing new and different drums!
Ha ok, I had missed 2 steps...That's why I'm asking, I don,t want to go through that kind of things...I have never sold anything on ebay or reverb...When I "buy/take/choose", I keep...My wife like that!!! for her at least, not that much for gear. For example, everyone is saying that i must have a N&C Maple but my Tama Star Reserve plain Maple is so good, I have it, I have one single ply Maple...Ok, then, next time, I will be on my guard to follow a bit better your stories, thanks for all the explanation.

Last edited: