The Official Slingerland Drum Thread

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Most know I am a Ludwig guy but I have had a Slingerland set or two that I had pass through. When I was in high school (late 80's), the guy that I was in a band with let us practice at his house. I guess his stepmother played drums back in the 60's and 70's and when I got there for practice, I was able to use her set which was the cleanest looking set of vintage drums I ever saw. 1970 20,12,14 with matching snare in red sparkle complete with original A Zildjians and hardware. I didn't know much about vintage drums then but these drums looked and sounded fabulous.

My big Slingerland score came when I answered and ad in the mid 90's from the local paper that just said "Slingerland drum set. $400". Not having any clue what it was I called and told it was a purple color. I originally passed because I had serious doubts that this guy had a purple Slingerland set as I knew those were pretty rare. After a few days and nagging thoughts I called back and went to get them. Boy was I surprised to find these! 22,22,12,13,14,16,18 with Chrome snare and all the hardware. The drums were totally filthy as they had been sitting in a basement. The heads were all worn and broken and everything had an inch of dust on them. I couldn't pay fast enough when the guy said "Don't forget the cymbals..." I was like cymbals?? All A Zildjian piled up next to the furnace. 22" ride, 18" crash, 15" crash (yes 15" and it's very light so it's not a hi-hat) and a set of 14" hats. It took me a month to clean these and get them all shined up. I drove them to the Chicago show in the late 90's and sold them. I kept all the Zildjians and still have them. That will teach me to ignore an ad again!

SLINGER1.jpg

SLINGER2.jpg

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. So many Slingerland lovers here!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only Slingerland kit I have ever owned . A late 70’s 5 ply clear interior 80n Kit in ribbon Mahigany outer veneer . It had the optional 22” bass drum and the 6 x 14 Buddy Rich TDR snare . I left the second 16” floor Tom at him for this particular gig . I ended up selling the kit as the hardware and spurs were finicky and not that sturdy . Drums did sound great though .

I think CSR (Craig) and I go to the same tailor .

Attachments

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
1980 five-ply rosewood veneer (10x10, 8x12, 12x12, 14x14, 14x20, 5 1/2x14)
14x18 bass is 70’s three-ply
’58 12x22 mahogany inner ply
70’s three ply 16x16 clear inner ply

Attachments

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Danish band Gasolin', with double bass Slingerlands!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

covinasurf

Reaction score
Here’s my only Slingerland. I still miss my late 60’s WMP, 20/14/12/16 kit. It mysteriously vanished while I was on the road. A family member ‘disappeared’ it to the pawn shop.

421AD0C4-E664-4DE1-9AF3-686BECC9F51A.jpeg

Browny

Reaction score
I'll play.

Radio Kings, streamline lugs, aluminium cloud badge, stamped single flange hoops top & bottom, internal mufflers at the top of both toms, 26, 13 & 16.

Best effort at dating them was '47, helped a bit by the pencil writing inside the bass shell with what I assume is the original owner's name, address and date. Appears the second owner followed suit, there's a second set of details dated about 12 years later from memory.

They're in good nick but real players drums; its a rewrap & the tom clips are clearly repro items, tom tension rods are also a bit mismatched. I'm using DW hoop clamp gullwing spurs as the original are useless and I put Pearl ISO feet onto the legs which opened the floor right up. The only tom heads that fit properly are Remo Classic Fits, and those are still tight. Kick heads have some cuts in the hoop to help there.
IMG_3881.jpg

(that thing hanging from the wall on the left of the kit absorbs some high end harshness reflections from the snare & hats when the mics are on...)

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to old member Mardi Gras- he had every rare finish and rare sized Slingerland and Leedy set ever made it seemed! He used to post all the time. His contributions to this thread would have been incredible.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I owned a '67, 4-piece set of Slingerlands, in Black Sparkle, and later added another rack tom. The sparkles were lavendar in color. That was one set that I should have never traded. When my new Slingerlands arrived in Yellow Tiger wrap, and didn't match the color in the catalog, I was super disappointed. The catalog color chip showed yellow with brown streaks, but the drums I received were orange with black streaks. Right then, I wish I had ordered the RED Tiger wrap, and still would like to have a set in that color today. Those '71-made drums did not have the quality of the '67s.

Attachments