The Official Slingerland Drum Thread

Dshamgar

Reaction score
Are Slingerland Concert Kings any good? Anybody know anything about them, e.g. what type of wood the shells are made from? I see a number of affordable sets available.

fpatton

Reaction score
Here are mine. With the exception of the 8x12, which I added recently, I got this set new in 1982 as a high school graduation present. There's another 24x14 bass drum in the closet for the full Louie Bellson vibe! I ordered these custom - the Spitfire snare has a cherry finish rather than WMP (I had read Billy Gladstone's statement about pearl belonging on toilet seats), and none of the drums have internal mufflers, as I didn't feel I'd need them. (What can I say - I was a know-it-all high school student!) I've switched out a few cymbals over the years, and messed about with different hardware, but the drums are awesome.

Attachments

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned a '67, 4-piece set of Slingerlands, in Black Sparkle, and later added another rack tom. The sparkles were lavendar in color. That was one set that I should have never traded. When my new Slingerlands arrived in Yellow Tiger wrap, and didn't match the color in the catalog, I was super disappointed. The catalog color chip showed yellow with brown streaks, but the drums I received were orange with black streaks. Right then, I wish I had ordered the RED Tiger wrap, and still would like to have a set in that color today. Those '71-made drums did not have the quality of the '67s.
The black bop kit in one of my pics was black w purple sparkles too.
Can’t see it in the pic.
I eventually found a one ply Artist to go with it.
Biggest regret of my life letting that set go
I keep trying to buy it back, but the local drum teacher won’t do it

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are mine. With the exception of the 8x12, which I added recently, I got this set new in 1982 as a high school graduation present. There's another 24x14 bass drum in the closet for the full Louie Bellson vibe! I ordered these custom - the Spitfire snare has a cherry finish rather than WMP (I had read Billy Gladstone's statement about pearl belonging on toilet seats), and none of the drums have internal mufflers, as I didn't feel I'd need them. (What can I say - I was a know-it-all high school student!) I've switched out a few cymbals over the years, and messed about with different hardware, but the drums are awesome.
Any chance of a soundfile of your beautiful spitfire snare drum? I've never heard any examples of one. Your drums are awsome.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love that spitfire!

DaveA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a "Slingerland Guy".
I bought this set, new, in 1971.
3-ply 4-piece Niles set in a custom color they made for me ("Sunset Yellow" lacquer)

DaveAleAndBun1.jpg

3-ply Niles (Red Lacquer). Buddy Rich TDR snare. I still have em

RedSlingerlandSet.jpg

Nashville era Studio King set (plus Radio King snare). Natural Maple Gloss.
I'm never selling em!

SlingerlandStudioKingSet.JPG

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Ray Dee Oh King, that tangerine 80N is just beautiful!

Here's a video of Louis Bellson's Band playing the Cork Jazz Festival in 1980. LB plays his Slingerland "Explosion Kit", but can anyone tell me what finish the drums and the bands' music stands are in? It looks like chocolate sprinkles on vanilla ice cream!

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Slingerland. Love ‘em. This is a ‘66 Modern Jazz Outfit No. 9 in silver sparkle, 20/14/12 that came with. 5x14 Krupa c.o.b. , here I have a ‘58 Ludwig transition proto-pak 5.5x13 snare. I also had Anthony ay Village Drum in RI make me a 7.5x10 keller thin maple with re-rings badged up Slingy to go with it. Sounds and looks great. I love playing it.

Attachments

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a slingy kit that was once (recently) offered for sale here. I came to my senses when I realized that I was practically giving it away. Oh, and it sounds amazing, which is another reason why I came to my senses. Gory details here:

jmetatual

Reaction score
Last edited:

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
This drum is part of a project, a jelly bean sparkle stage band kit. bass drum is blue sparkle(more of a turquoise). I’ve decided on purple for the 12 and silver for the 14. This is a 6 1/2x15 snare that I bought from a guy off of the Slingerland Facebook group. It was originally a marching drum, the rering was glued back in. It’s a beautiful sounding drum, it covers a lot of territory.
3E7926E4-D343-4E2C-BAF8-8D8B3ED775C5.jpeg
57D49601-EBB6-4721-B17E-47E863059942.jpeg
AA1A28C7-D83D-4EC9-8DDB-FAF53EB0F844.jpeg

fpatton

Reaction score
Ray Dee Oh King, that tangerine 80N is just beautiful!

Here's a video of Louis Bellson's Band playing the Cork Jazz Festival in 1980. LB plays his Slingerland "Explosion Kit", but can anyone tell me what finish the drums and the bands' music stands are in? It looks like chocolate sprinkles on vanilla ice cream!

The finish on the fronts is very likely white marine pearl (WMP), same as the drums. My post above gives a little better idea of what that finish looks like in person. Buddy Rich had similar music stand fronts for his band, and his drums were always WMP as well. (The exception for all these guys was when they were on Carson or something, when I assume some local music shop loaned them a set.) I saw BR's band with WMP Ludwig stand fronts in his late Ludwig era. I figured the drum companies made those for the bands as part of the endorsement deal. Various brands' WMP have slightly different looks to them. Mine definitely have a blueish tint.

I clicked on the video and was about to comment that it was seeing how cool LB's set looked on TV that convinced me to get that extra bass drum (I was originally going to go for a BR setup), when I realized that the latest comment on that video is actually from me. :lol: Sambandrea swing is such an awesome chart.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've posted this one before.....20-12-16 rewrapped orphans, Niles toms, Chicago bass, brass supra, Maxwell rail, vintage Slingy stands, WFL speed king, old A crashes & hats, K dark rides, LSR flat w/1 rivet, one last kit and done.....is there any better color than WMP?!!! (was wmp, now vintage wmp as it has aged)...