...the one cymbal that has/had the sound that can't be replaced

coachie

Reaction score
mine was a 16" Paiste 602 crash from the late 60's, even after buying 2 in the same vintage I'm starting to doubt I'll ever find that sound again...although I'm now attached to a 10" UFIP splash.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a medium-thin 19" pre-serial 602 that sounded absolutely beautiful. Opened up like a dream and had the perfect amount of sustain and volume. Very thin edges with a pretty heavy bell. I know where it is, but the guy won't give it back!

simedgoose

Reaction score
18" 602 thin crash that was at my music college. Was perfect crash - easy to open up, full sounding, splashy. Unfortunately I destroyed it on a big band gig at college in my second year. During the gig it went from perfect to having a section missing in the space of two or three tracks. A great shame, and one of the very few (2?) cymbals I've ever broken. I think breaking the 602 taught me a lesson.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These.
14 Sabian HH Prototype Hats - 885g / 1164g
They made it my way quite a few years ago.
I’ve had and currently have hats I love.
But these are something special.
They are my perfect hats.

B99BF7C5-0709-4174-8DD4-629D6763659A.jpeg

markkarj

Reaction score
The 14" A crash from the 1950s that came with my first Premier kit. The bell was cracking so my dad (a skilled steel fabricator) tried to braze a brass cymbal into it to shore it up. Unfortunately, that destroyed the temper of the cymbal and caused more extensive cracking.

I have a handful of 14s that are quite soft and supple. The Sabian AAXplosion fast crashes are a nice mix of shimmer and a slightly darker tone.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 14" 602 Classic Reissue Medium Hats. They are just right for me, the weights, the response & the sound.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cymbalholic since around 2001. Of all the old k’s, Spizzichino’s, an Istanbul Agop endorsement for 15 years, the ONE cymbal I miss and can’t find a replacement for is a late 90’s 22” Zildjian K Custom medium ride. Bought it on tour in San Diego. Had an approximate 6” warp on the edge, which gave it this crazy trashy crash, but the ping sound was pretty normal.

Sold it to a drum student, telling him to sell it back to me if he ever sold it. He didn’t. Been chasing that sound since.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine is an old 20” A that I found for about $50. It has edge nicks, a spot by the cup that looks like someone took a grinder to it and one of those long keyholes that a drummer filed in instead of buying a tilter. But it is the greatest cymbal I have ever played and if it ever cracks it would indeed be a sad day.

Attachments

Blisco

Reaction score
The oldest piece of gear I own. 13HH Fusion Hats. Bought them in 92 or so and have dabbled with other hats and a pair of the same. None, even the exact same, can match those for the perfection of chick, click, slosh, and wash as that pair.

The nice thing about them is they keep my GAS in check when if comes to hats. Why bother? haha

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The oldest piece of gear I own. 13HH Fusion Hats. Bought them in 92 or so and have dabbled with other hats and a pair of the same. None, even the exact same, can match those for the perfection of chick, click, slosh, and wash as that pair.

The nice thing about them is they keep my GAS in check when if comes to hats. Why bother? haha
I have a similar thing with my beloved 15" Trans Stamps.
I don't even think about hats any more. It's really great.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm terrified I'll break my 1930s Zildjian swish, it has the most fantastic throaty, blunted wash with just the right amount of trash. Definitely nothing like it on the market today.

GoMarkGo

Reaction score
A 20” Renaissance Ride with three rivets. It doesn’t work on every tune, but for the ones it does, there is nothing like it.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’ve heard a few other Sabian 21” Groove Rides but none of them sound as good as mine. If it came down to only being to bring one cymbal to a gig it would be this one.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zildjian trans stamp 20, 21, 22 inch rides. I've yet to run across a bad one. And the newer Avedis line which tries to emulate late 50's small stamps, doesn't quite touch the Trans stamp sound. One can probably say the same thing for the peak era of the earlier Istanbul K's....though many cymbal makers continue to try and copy what those early K's had.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
Sabian HH 16" thin crash. Best crash ever imo. Cracked & I've never found something remotely as good. Bought it in the late 80s after my drum teacher traded me some HH regular hats that I still have. I love the Sabian HH stuff from the mid to late 80s. All of my favorite recordings have those hats. I have tons of K's/AAX dark crashes & love them all. I have another HH 16" thin crash too but it doesn't have the mojo of the first one. Some gear sounds so good that it makes you play better or different.