The One Piece Of Gear You'll Never Part With...

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Since 2012, when I really became interested and obsessed with vintage drums, I have been on a tear. I have bought and sold several great vintage drum sets from Slingerland and Rogers, as well as snare drums from all eras (Slingerland, Rogers, Ludwig, N&C, TRS, Pfeifer). I love the drums and cymbals I have today, and I play all of it, but I do know that most drum gear is expendable. While I try not to become too attached to drums and cymbals, I have a few pieces I don't think I could ever part with - my N&C SS Maple, or my Slingerland Capri kit, for example.

Oddly enough though, the one thing I know I will never let go of isn't a drum at all. It's an old Pearl straight cymbal stand that came with my Export set in the mid 1980s. The set was a 5 piece in piano black wrap. My dad and I spent many Saturday mornings visiting drum shops and thumbing through the Pearl catalogs shopping for those drums - they were perfect. The drums are long gone now, but I still have (and use) that old cymbal stand. It's the one piece of gear that always evokes so many memories and emotions.

So, what's the one drum-related piece of gear that you could never dream of letting go of?

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s a toss between my dw black nickel over brass snare or my in ear monitors.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What size is your snare? I have been thinking about one of the 8x14's
14x6.5 with tube lugs instead of the regular style and die cast hoops. I love it that none of my other snares get any attention.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My engraved Ludwig Black Beauty 6” snare will never be leaving . So much sentimental value in this snare . I bought this snare from Todd Trent - it had chrome Imperial lugs and hardware and an unengraved shell.

My girlfriend Marisa went with me to the Chicago Vintage Drum Show in 2010 and met John Aldridge and was so impressed with his work that she offered to pay for John to engrave my snare for my 50th Birthday .

John not only engraved my snare , he provided the brass hardware you see on the finished drum . John has become a good friend to Marisa and I .

This drum has such sentimental attachment that it will never get sold . Best of all it is the best sounding metal shell snare drum I have ever owned .

Attachments

• CB068E09-560B-4A73-BD51-3301F382F024.jpeg
    CB068E09-560B-4A73-BD51-3301F382F024.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 203

Renoroger

Reaction score
In October of 1974 I went down to my father’s workbench and cut a piece of 3/8” steel rod to bend into an “L” arm. I attached it to my hihat stand to mount my first COWBELL to stick out to the left of the ‘hats. (I am a lefty playing a right handed set). The audience at “The Blue Fox” at 55th and Kedzie on Chicago’s South side were treated to cowbell ‘aplenty! ( much to the obvious delight of my Top 40 band mates) That arm has served on every kit since then to the present. It currently supports two of LP’s finest and always “takes me back” to being seventeen and in a traveling trio...
incidentally, those two facilitated my inevitable and permanent move to Paiste with the gift of a 20” 2oo2 Ride cymbal for my 18th birthday, 46 years ago today, while we were playing the Downtown Holidome - Green Bay, Wisconsin. (12-28-74)
I remain in their debt...

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Renoroger, post: 2041191, member: 18811 for my 18th birthday, 46 years ago today, while we were playing the Downtown Holidome - Green Bay, Wisconsin. (12-28-74)
[/QUOTE]

That’s a great story Renoroger.
Happy Birthday from Green Bay!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Over the years I have made that claim about numerous cymbals and drums, only to sell them year later. I've since learned that either I am more fickle than I care to admit (even to myself), or that no matter how much I love a piece of gear now, there is no guarantee that I will love it in the future. That, too, is difficult to admit when that shiny new object of affection to which I swear my undying love and loyalty first comes into my life. But in my old age I now have the wisdom to know that - in my case - such claims are bullsh!t.

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never say never....not a drum...more later...
I had a Mini Moog I said I would never ever sell. I often joked I would get rid of everything else before letting that go......so I let it go.....go figure.
It would have cost a whole bunch of loot to refurbish although it was in very good shape and nothing was amiss. I was selling some outboard gear and the buyer inquired about the Mini. He was a very cool fellow and I felt comfortable with him and he offered a fair price. It went to a good home.
In return I bought a "replacement".....Behringer Model D, a Soma Lyra 8 synth, an Aludu drum, and groceries!!
This worked out very well as I already had software Mini's on my computers and iPads, and the Lyra 8 is about as close to a Buchla as I can afford...lol. Plus over the years one changes the way they work and think about sound synthesis....
Drumz....
I sold some '63 round badge Gretsch's as I was moving from the city....they went to the boyfriend of one of my dearest friends, so that felt good to pass them on. Then I sold some Milestone and Tempus stuff after moving out of the city.
I still have some pretty spiffy drums.....old Ludwig Rock Duo kit, '70's Gretsch, '65 Sonor teardrops, Slingerland's among others, along with various snares and would let any of them go....as long as the person who shows interest is cool by that gut feeling. When I sold a Milestone snare I did not let it go to the first person with cash but let it go to someone who would appreciate it....again gut feeling as they were my livelihood and part of me. They came from a good home and have to go to a good home.
The only problem I have now is it may be difficult to move anything else because these have been working tools for many years and it shows. I've drilled holes, changed out parts, refinished drums so much that some museum collectors here would be appalled, and any sellable value may have been lost to someone pining for a complete pristine set of Teardrops. Mine are complete....NOT pristine...lol....but they (drums and synths) have paid for my house.
Except for the last 10/11 months my instruments have been my tools for making a living for the last 45 yrs or so and given the right circumstance anything can go....TO A GOOD HOME.
I would find it way more difficult to let go some of my fancy custom made kites before letting some drum stuff go... :blink:
bt

NashJazzDrums

Reaction score
1996 Gretsch USA custom kit in a burgundy lacquer. It was my first new kit. 22, 15, 12, 10, 8. I rarely use them now, as I opt for the bop sizes but I have sentimental reasons for owning them and they are still my go-to recording session kit for anything rock, funk or pop. Basically anything other than jazz.

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point in my life, nothing is forever. I have two drum sets, a Gretsch RB progressive jazz in burgundy sparkle and a Ludwig CM shell bank in WMP. Both could go for the right price. Cymbals? I have a set of matched Zildjian A Armands that are the closest thing to keepers. My Zildjian Constantinoples could go for a price, and the one orphan I have, an 8x14 Premier Elite maple snare could go, too. That said, I have no reason to get rid of any of them: I like them, but they're not all going to my retirement home whenever that happens.

Renoroger

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Renoroger, post: 2041191, member: 18811 for my 18th birthday, 46 years ago today, while we were playing the Downtown Holidome - Green Bay, Wisconsin. (12-28-74)

That’s a great story Renoroger.
Happy Birthday from Green Bay!
[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I still remember sitting in their hot tub (Inside)looking through the glass at the cars driving on an icy Military Avenue. What an adventure!