header.nohb.html

The only time I knowingly play 32nd notes

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How often do you use 32nd notes in your drumming?
When my band plays this version of Johnny Cash’ ‘Folsom Prison Blues’, at the very end of the verse, on the 4, I go from 16ths to 32nds for a single count.
It’s the only time I use them that I recall.
How about you folks?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
How often do you use 32nd notes in your drumming?
When my band plays this version of Johnny Cash’ ‘Folsom Prison Blues’, at the very end of the verse, on the 4, I go from 16ths to 32nds for a single count.
It’s the only time I use them that I recall.
How about you folks?
At that tempo, you’re probably playing 8th and 16ths, not 16ths and 32nds.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At that tempo, you’re probably playing 8th and 16ths, not 16ths and 32nds.
Thank you! Well for each count I’m playing four strikes in a 4/4. (At least that’s how I count it in my head) On that last count at the end of those verses I double those for the final count (on the four).
But I’m no music major. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you! Well for each count I’m playing four strikes in a 4/4. (At least that’s how I count it in my head) On that last count at the end of those verses I double those for the final count (on the four).
But I’m no music major. I could be wrong.
I’m considering the backbeat accent to be on 2 and 4, which is the convention. So, the tempo would be about 250+ bpm. 16ths at that tempo is blisteringly fast! 32nds would be a rate of 2,000 strokes per minute. Not sure Riccardo Merlini could do that even for one beat. I think you must be considering the backbeat to be on the & of 1,2,3,4.

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m considering the backbeat accent to be on 2 and 4, which is the convention. So, the tempo would be about 250+ bpm. 16ths at that tempo is blisteringly fast! 32nds would be a rate of 2,000 strokes per minute. Not sure Ricardo Merlini could do that even for one beat. I think you must be considering the backbeat to be on the & of 1,2,3,4.
That makes perfect sense. Yeah it would be ludicrous to consider this 250 plus bpm.

Another reason I love this forum. I learn something nearly every visit.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense. Yeah it would be ludicrous to consider this 250 plus bpm.

Another reason I love this forum. I learn something nearly every visit.
It is 250+ bpm. Think about how you would play this song with a more traditional rock beat (like the drum part on “Walking on Sunshine,” link below): quarter notes on the hihats on 1,2,3 & 4, half notes on snare on 2 and 4, and maybe half notes on bass drum on 1 and 3 with some variation. Folsum is a very fast tempo, even faster than “Walking,” and 32nd notes at that tempo would be almost un-hearable much less playable. That’s what I was getting at.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I do often, but typically only double strokes on the snare. Or sometimes in slower songs that build up to more exciting crescendos, I'll often play 32nd note single stroke rolls for a couple of beats.