The Oriollo Seamless Aluminum Kit REVIEW/DEMO

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neal Pert said:
Great job and gorgeous product. One comment, though: We jazz players would've called your tunings, "extremely low, very low, and quite low." Any chance of hearing them a little more, you know, beboppy?
:) I do like low tuned drums...but Just a note regarding the tunings...I did the improv section of the video at the tuning I most frequently use the kit at...which on a tune bot is 105hz for the rack, and around 65-70hz for the floor. Im not sure I would call this extremely low. If you look at the artist settings on the tunebot website this seems like a very common tuning for drums of those sizes...for the medium and high tunings we just kind of went up from there. I def could have probably pushed the kit a little more on the tightness of tension, but I don't think I would call the high tuning low if that makes sense.

we have run into this a lot of the snare demos...where according to a tune bot its telling us we are at a fundamental of 220hz or something which is actually pretty high...but with the general thickness of the recording with the rooms or verb on those demos, its made it feel like it was tuned lower than it really is

next time I have them all setup in the studio i will push them even more to get an idea of how they sound in a tuning I would call very high. :laughing6:

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Neal Pert said:
Great job and gorgeous product. One comment, though: We jazz players would've called your tunings, "extremely low, very low, and quite low." Any chance of hearing them a little more, you know, beboppy?
Not just jazz players. But drum tuning seems to be that way these days. I blame Nashville, to some extent. The theory seems to be that higher tunings get in the way of vocals and other instruments. The only problem is that most music these days is listened to on tiny headphones or small speakers. You simply can't reproduce bottom end on those. So a lot of drum kits just go thud to me. This kit sounded fat though. I can tell that from any speakers. It's an alloy sound and the idea of a light kit that speaks quite loudly sure does appeal to me.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Question about the floor tom leg brackets. My first time seeing those. Are there threaded inserts in the bracket for the wing nut (steel I'm assuming) or are you tightening against aluminum threads which I assume are quite soft?
in other words, do you sense you need to be careful not to over tighten those for fear of stripping the threads?
Thanks.

msum

Reaction score
We all know Vukan is doing great stuff :).

What I'm impressed by is the recording gear you own. e22's and Flea 47... Are the e22's that much better than the CAD M179's I've seen you use?

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
msum said:
We all know Vukan is doing great stuff :).

What I'm impressed by is the recording gear you own. e22's and Flea 47... Are the e22's that much better than the CAD M179's I've seen you use?
lol I wish I owned these mics. Most of the mics belong to my friend Paul from Big Bear Studios. I brought him in to engineer the shoot so I could focus on presenting the drums.

As far as the e22s I think they are really nice and seem to have a bit more clarity than the m179s, but personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a single tom mic, as I have been very happy with the sounds I get out of the m179

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sinclair said:
Question about the floor tom leg brackets. My first time seeing those. Are there threaded inserts in the bracket for the wing nut (steel I'm assuming) or are you tightening against aluminum threads which I assume are quite soft?
in other words, do you sense you need to be careful not to over tighten those for fear of stripping the threads?
Thanks.
So each piece is basically a cylinder with a hole in it for the leg to go through and the backside has threads for the mounting hardware. I made aluminum plates For extra support on the inside of the drum just so I wasn't gripping down right on the shell.

The actual wingnut is gripping the floor tom leg

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/maxwell-gretsch-95mm-floor-bracket-single-p-13040.html

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:
:) I do like low tuned drums...but Just a note regarding the tunings...I did the improv section of the video at the tuning I most frequently use the kit at...which on a tune bot is 105hz for the rack, and around 65-70hz for the floor. Im not sure I would call this extremely low. If you look at the artist settings on the tunebot website this seems like a very common tuning for drums of those sizes...for the medium and high tunings we just kind of went up from there. I def could have probably pushed the kit a little more on the tightness of tension, but I don't think I would call the high tuning low if that makes sense.

we have run into this a lot of the snare demos...where according to a tune bot its telling us we are at a fundamental of 220hz or something which is actually pretty high...but with the general thickness of the recording with the rooms or verb on those demos, its made it feel like it was tuned lower than it really is

next time I have them all setup in the studio i will push them even more to get an idea of how they sound in a tuning I would call very high. :laughing6:
Yeah, I get that-- the whole industry has tended to push the "normal" range down.

I'm interested because long-term I could see these kits being immensely interesting to jazz players in a 12/14/16 or 18 configuration, and I'd like to hear them tuned in a more classic jazz range. Referencing Bill Stewart's tuning range might be good, though with the bigger drums obviously the pitch would be lower.

Thanks, man. I've got a snare from Vukan on the way and am a big fan of his work. Your videos have been awesome and much appreciated!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I prefer the higher tuning and would like to go even higher which tells me I would like smaller drums also. In my world a 13" is a floor tom, so an 8", 10", and 12" would be desirable. The shells look gorgeous as is but I am not a fan of the aesthetics of the center lugs with the long tuning rods which is to say that I could easily see myself buying one of these kits but the size options and lug placements would have to expand or perhaps it is possible to just buy the shells in custom sizes and pimp them yourself? Either way my preferences don't mean jack to anyone but me. Oriollo is an impressive company and congratulations on your new kit and nice drumming by the way.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think these drums are going to do really well. Can you imagine how light and portable these would be in bop sizes?
Fine job all around!

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neal Pert said:

Yeah, I get that-- the whole industry has tended to push the "normal" range down.

I'm interested because long-term I could see these kits being immensely interesting to jazz players in a 12/14/16 or 18 configuration, and I'd like to hear them tuned in a more classic jazz range. Referencing Bill Stewart's tuning range might be good, though with the bigger drums obviously the pitch would be lower.

Thanks, man. I've got a snare from Vukan on the way and am a big fan of his work. Your videos have been awesome and much appreciated!

Thank you! and I totally get what you are saying...and I think it would be cool to hear these in traditional bop sizes...I think they'd do really well...What snare did you get?

Nacci said:
I prefer the higher tuning and would like to go even higher which tells me I would like smaller drums also. In my world a 13" is a floor tom, so an 8", 10", and 12" would be desirable. The shells look gorgeous as is but I am not a fan of the aesthetics of the center lugs with the long tuning rods which is to say that I could easily see myself buying one of these kits but the size options and lug placements would have to expand or perhaps it is possible to just buy the shells in custom sizes and pimp them yourself? Either way my preferences don't mean jack to anyone but me. Oriollo is an impressive company and congratulations on your new kit and nice drumming by the way.
Thanks!

jptrickster said:
I think these drums are going to do really well. Can you imagine how light and portable these would be in bop sizes?
Fine job all around!
Thanks so much! They are crazy light, so they'd be even lighter in those sizes. It would be crazy

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I inquired about a 10/12/15/20 set-up and few other details.

The 15" floor is not currently a size offered, but it may become available.

I am interested if the bass drum would support a tom holder bracket installation (maybe a bead at both ends of the shell would help). I could see INDe brackets being very useful on these drums.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
zenghost said:

I am interested if the bass drum would support a tom holder bracket installation (maybe a bead at both ends of the shell would help). I could see INDe brackets being very useful on these drums.
We talked about this awhile back...the bass drum shell even starting at 3mm is relatively thin. It's doesn't feel fragile or anything...but I personally think for a smaller tom with a Lightweight hoop option and reinforced with a larger backing plate on the inside of the drum...you'd probably be ok

nopork

Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:

We talked about this awhile back...the bass drum shell even starting at 3mm is relatively thin. It's doesn't feel fragile or anything...but I personally think for a smaller tom with a Lightweight hoop option and reinforced with a larger backing plate on the inside of the drum...you'd probably be ok
That is the one question I would also have Could it support a Yamaha style tom holder bracket on the bass drum to allow a 10 or 12 mounted tom and and ride cymbal off the bass drum itself. It would make a great lightweight gigging kit with that to avoid having extra stands to mount the tom and cymbal to. Setup like my carbon fiber Tempus kit attached which has a 10" mounted tom and a 19" ride cymbal.

Attachments

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
nopork said:

That is the one question I would also have Could it support a Yamaha style tom holder bracket on the bass drum to allow a 10 or 12 mounted tom and and ride cymbal off the bass drum itself. It would make a great lightweight gigging kit with that to avoid having extra stands to mount the tom and cymbal to. Setup like my carbon fiber Tempus kit attached which has a 10" mounted tom and a 19" ride cymbal.

Maybe Vukan can chime in. a 10" tom would be insanely light...so that works in your favor...but I guess weight and force are two separate animals, and I think making sure the shell isn't stressed when you strike the tom would be the main thing to look at

oriollo

Reaction score
Adding beads would definitely make things safe. And I'm pretty sure that would work ok. Even for larger rack toms.
But gonna have to test it.