The Oriollo Seamless Aluminum Kit REVIEW/DEMO

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
And, they're not that expensive! Me want a kit!!!!! In 2017, definitely!

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
If they can they do the finishes like on the snares, I may join ya, Dan!

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
xsabers said:
If they can they do the finishes like on the snares, I may join ya, Dan!
Pretty sure it lists graffiti as a finish option on the site ;)

dimag333

DFO Master
Reaction score
hey brotha, I saw on the instagram that you said about 2K, if so I am in, we should do a group buy like we do on the Red Camera forum!\

steve

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah I am torn, I really want to order an Inde kit, but I also equally want one of these. The "good news" is that I haven't got the cash ready anyway, so it's not an immediate first world problem. But soon... soon...

Alan_

Reaction score
Those are uber-cool. I want! I've had the same late 60's Ludwig set for 30+ years...this is the first set that made me want to buy something "new". Delicious.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am surprised at how much the finish color selection has increased. Some really cool colors, though I'd be most interested in something subdued like a brown or copper. I can see some really neat potential combinations.

oriollo

Reaction score
Gonna try some red-ish patina too ...
Have yet to build a kit for myself :) so busy ...

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
zenghost said:
I am surprised at how much the finish color selection has increased. Some really cool colors, though I'd be most interested in something subdued like a brown or copper. I can see some really neat potential combinations.
I thought it would be cool to do a 12,14,20 downbeat style in that patina finish Vukan did on my steel. I think it would be very ringo-esq

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
oriollo said:
There's no question you've been very busy!!

Alan_

Reaction score
oriollo said:
Can you do them in raw aluminum? Ok, silly question. :p

I also like some of the iridescent treatments you did on a couple of snares I've seen posted online.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like what I hear, but I'm also gonna be the lone dissenter for a minute.

I'll risk getting a little flack by mentioning that I like to hear more overtones in my toms and snare than what I heard in the video. The lack of overtones coming from much lauded dw kits that I tried made me buy a Yamaha Maple Custom kit in 1995. I'd heard so many great things about dw but the dw kits seemed to lack character and rawness. They bored me.

It could just be the recording technique with the close mic sound being more prevalent than the room and overheads. In fact, if there is a way to hear the overheads and room mic about 30% louder, the sound of the kit might show a little more. No one listens to their kit with an ear 2-3 inches from the batter heads while playing.

Also, while I think this kit sounds amazing, it comes off as a particular sound, not unlike the way fiberglass, acrylic or steel kits all have their own sound. In my mind that means less flexibility. If the Oriollo is more harmonically complex than what I'm hearing in the video, I'd like to hear it.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
I like what I hear, but I'm also gonna be the lone dissenter for a minute.

I'll risk getting a little flack by mentioning that I like to hear more overtones in my toms and snare than what I heard in the video. The lack of overtones coming from much lauded dw kits that I tried made me buy a Yamaha Maple Custom kit in 1995. I'd heard so many great things about dw but the dw kits seemed to lack character and rawness. They bored me.

It could just be the recording technique with the close mic sound being more prevalent than the room and overheads. In fact, if there is a way to hear the overheads and room mic about 30% louder, the sound of the kit might show a little more. No one listens to their kit with an ear 2-3 inches from the batter heads while playing.

Also, while I think this kit sounds amazing, it comes off as a particular sound, not unlike the way fiberglass, acrylic or steel kits all have their own sound. In my mind that means less flexibility. If the Oriollo is more harmonically complex than what I'm hearing in the video, I'd like to hear it.
I think it probably just comes down to what you are into and the way you tech/tune your drums. My approach when tuning my drums tends to lend a sound that doesn't ring for days. That is intentional. Both the live and studio settings I use my drums in, long complex overtones are a big problem when it comes to the mix and would just end up being gated. I felt like where I landed with the O's was kind of a moderate sustain that still had life but wouldn't be an issue in regards to creating issues between the drums.

I find it interesting you wanted even more room. I felt like it was almost to the point of being too much. I think some Demos made are just rooms and oh's and that's cool but I think my philosophy is most people would use these either live or in the studio and so having the recording feature both rooms and close is fitting.

As far as the drums having a distinct sound I do think they have a unique sound. A unique sound called amazing. in all serious tho the engineer on the shoot and everyone that has heard them have been super impressed with their versatility. I think they'd do about anything you wanted them to do.

Latest posts