THE Pedal!!

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same as buying a new pr of shoes. It has to fit perfectly, fit your needs, has to feel right, not just ok..but like a glove.
These days the choices are endless, so what is the criteria for your bass drum pedal purchase?..Price, weight, speed, guarantee,
make, etc??...What is so important about "the pedal" that makes you buy the...…?

Lets try and focus on one or two "MUST HAVE" issues...it wont be easy.

Joe61

Reaction score
Ok, I will kick this off. Lets face it, most newer pedals are very smooth in operation. Durable. Very quiet to near silent in operation. Some are adjustable in every respect. Many nice choices out there to choose from. For me there are three design features that are important. 1. Beater height adjustment with out changing the length of the beater in the mount. (hope that made sense) 2. Spring adjustment up high from the seated position. 3. Easily accessible clamp design. So yes, a swiv-o-matic style pedal. I don't have many pedals in my collection. 2 surpremes, a borrowed early iron cobra and a recently purchased tama classic pedal. The supremes can't compete with todays designs. I like the way the iron cobra plays but it lacks all 3 of the desired features above. The tama classic is still getting a shake down and so far I like it.
IMHO
Joe

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am shockingly unsophisticated regarding pedals. I need a smooth surface. I am inclined toward simple. For me, the Yamaha FP7210 has been my gigging pedal for decades now and I seem to always come back to it.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When playing "heel-up", I prefer my old Pearl pedals from 1975. (They are probably pretty much junk by today's standards).
When playing "heel-down", I prefer my Tama iron Cobras from 1997, whatever vintage that is. (They are very well made and feel perfect in every way).
I have 6 Roger swivomatics that never get used and 2 DW chain drives that were quite expensive but I never took to them.
They are the worst pedals I have ever owned. They are supposedly good but they just don't quite cut it, and they are very adjustable.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm no expert, and not a power speed demon and I play heal down. Years ago before drum forums and computers I used an old Tama with a wire type base and an old heavy Ludwig hi-hat. After breaking the hi-hat in a rough trailer ride. I purchased a new Tama Level Glide stand. WoW!! What a difference, I couldn't believe the smoothness and ease of playability in that pedal. It made so much difference I couldn't stand the old bass drum pedal. It wasn't long after that I went back to the drum store and purchased a new Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide bass drum pedal, the Power Glide seemed to give me that extra punch I thought I needed. They had a number of pedals on display, the IC felt the best for me.

The only adjustment I made was tightening the spring and the angle of the foot plate to match my relaxed comfort angle, I like for the pedal to stay with my foot, I have to feel every movement. Back then not knowing much about adjustments (still don't) over time I moved the weight collar up for more power then over time I adjusted the angle of the beater rod a little closer to the head for a quicker power punch.

IMO; it must be smooth, quick, with punch but controllable for the desired sound of the drum at a given moment. There are a lot of pedals on the market now days and I feel it's all about the adjustments for the most part, it just has to feel right to you. Although there is one I've learned about (the brand missing in my mind right now) and the pedal is adjustable horizontally to match where you set behind the bass, that, I'd like to try.

sherm

Last edited:

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tend to prefer the feel of modern machined aluminum pedals mainly because of durability and tight tolerances which gives them a very solid feel under the foot.

The must haves for me are independently adjustable footboard angle and beater angle.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can play anything, so price and looks play into my decision.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
so what is the criteria
1) I Don't have to think about it - talk about it...nor tell another soul (get it sole?_

A bought new but now semi-vintage..
DW 5000 nylon
todays 6000)
w/ a Ludwig type
Felt beater

Last edited:

goodcat1337

Reaction score
I’ve used almost all of DW’s models and I currently own a 9000. That said, I really miss my Tama Speedcobra. I might start looking around for one again. It had a smoothness to it that I haven’t been able to get out of this 9000 or from a Yamaha flying dragon I had prior to the DW.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
i bought a DW 5000 years ago and have never looked back. Right out of the box I have hardly even made any adjustments to it. It’s smooth, quiet, feels great, not too pricey. Boom.

Reactions: JDA

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1) I Don't have to think about it - talk about it...nor tell another soul (get it sole?_

A bought new but now semi-vintage..
DW 5000 nylon
todays 6000)
w/ a Ludwig type
Felt beater
This.

Reactions: JDA

Heyleuck

Reaction score
I came across a DW MCD a few years ago and it is THE pedal. I understand a lot of people wouldn't pay the price. Tons of setup options, bearings everywhere, the cam shaft actually spins freely from the cam which I think is pretty impressive. The cam is incredible, 5 different profiles at the flick of a switch.

I was thinking of adding another snare to my collection but instead decided to get this outrageous pedal and honestly I think It was the right choice since I wasnt overly impressed with the Sonor PB I had been using. I use the pedal every day, way more than I would use yet another snare.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I came across a DW MCD a few years ago and it is THE pedal. I understand a lot of people wouldn't pay the price. Tons of setup options, bearings everywhere, the cam shaft actually spins freely from the cam which I think is pretty impressive. The cam is incredible, 5 different profiles at the flick of a switch.

I was thinking of adding another snare to my collection but instead decided to get this outrageous pedal and honestly I think It was the right choice since I wasnt overly impressed with the Sonor PB I had been using. I use the pedal every day, way more than I would use yet another snare.
I have played one of these and thought it was fantastic.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
Just got Tama 910 double Speed Cobras. Was playing old Pearl Power Shifters before (a fine pedal).

What I like about newer pedals these days is the length of the footboard. Super comfy. I used to play barefoot, but now can play with shoes on (which I find yields better consistency between my left and right feet) and the footboard fits the full length of my shoe (with a little room to spare).

0D241CE0-84FE-48D2-9618-18499B3FB8B3.jpeg

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After owning a Tama Dyna-Sync, direct drive is a must. I really love that pedal. For me, it was an instant mind-foot connection.

Latest posts