The People Who Want You To Play More Quietly Fired John Bonham Multiple Times

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
The forces behind surrounding drummers with acrylic screens, behind cymbals with more holes than Swiss cheese and tea towels on the toms fired John Bonham from multiple bands before he joined Led Zeppelin, according to The Riff Lord himself, Tony Iommi.

Speaking to Guitar World magazine recently, Iommi went off on a tangent about his long-time friend, John "Bonzo" Bonham: "He was best man at my first wedding. I used to knock about with him a lot. We used to play the same gigs. We’d be playing at this club and he’d be with another band. ‘They fired me.’ ‘What happened?’ ‘I’m too loud.’ And then he’d go with another band and get fired from them because he was too loud. He was constantly in and out of bands.”

Well, this was certainly news to me. It's so interesting that in the span of less than a decade, Bonham's ferocious power elevated him from getting fired -- repeatedly, according to Iommi -- to the records and live performances that forever put him atop the throne as The Number One Greatest Drummer of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine, 2016).

DrumB@astard

Reaction score
Well the next time someone says "You're too loud" don't walk away after reading this story, thinking "O. wow. cool. I'm John Bonham"... No. You're just too stinking Loud.
You see there's no correlation.
No worries of that happening. VB doesn't play drums. But he does spend his time doing the following:
1. Hanging out at Metal festivals and Pop concerts designed for 20-somethings. Every Metal Fest has that creepy, over the hill Hipster clinging to their youth.
2. Banging on Pots and Pans at his drum circle.
3. Crying because Mastodon has revoked his fan-club membership for listening to Sum-41.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, what a scoop by that writer, getting Iommi to reveal that Bonham played loud. Read a little further to find that...hang on...Yngwie Malmsteen plays fast!
:oops:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
No worries of that happening. VB doesn't play drums. But he does spend his time doing the following:
1. Hanging out at Metal festivals and Pop concerts designed for 20-somethings. Every Metal Fest has that creepy, over the hill Hipster clinging to their youth.
2. Banging on Pots and Pans at his drum circle.
3. Crying because Mastodon has revoked his fan-club membership for listening to Sum-41.

Attachments

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drums used to be the loudest in the band. When bands started needing to be louder, the drummer was then asked to play louder, up until the point when PA systems caught up. Those were different times. Bonham was definitely in the right place/right time when he joined Zep.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Well the next time someone says "You're too loud" don't walk away after reading this story, thinking "O. wow. cool. I'm John Bonham"... No. You're just too stinking Loud.
You see there's no correlation.
Wow. This must mean there's hope for me after all. I once was playing drums in the house band of a dinner theater when I was in college. During one of the shows the guy who was MCing the show opened it up to the audience for questions. One person asked "Why are the drums so loud?" His response was "Because he's professional." Now, I recognize this happened about 37 years ago, but I am now encouraged that I can still make it as an arena rock drummer.

kallen49

Reaction score
after I recorded and transfered a track for a friend’s rock tune yesterday his response on listening to it was “hit the drums harder, like Bonham”.
Replied that I have never played drums the way JB played also if I’m really smashing them I can’t hear the track in my headphones and will lose the tempo, (since his guitar track has no click and his time wobbles in a few places)
but if he wants it more like Keith Moon I can accommodate him ;)

Latest posts